• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Some of the bought & paid for media

That's now amplified by the prevalence of and addiction to social media that wasn't around way back when, affecting the media/information ecosphere in a very different way than when Luther nailed the Theses on the front door. VERY different interactions between dissidents and central authorities. Now, people from all over the world can jump at the speed of "send" on anyone consider a heretic and disagree - or threaten in various degrees of detail/explicitness.
But is it any different in kind to a riot in the Capital spilling out across trade routes for a century of disputes over whether or no three chapters should be included in a book?

Or people nodding along with the radio before signing up for the Army?

Or yelling at the TV before taking to the streets of Washington, LA, Detroit, Paris or Prague?

St Francis, Zen and English shopkeepers have a lot in common.

But is it any different in kind to a riot in the Capital spilling out across trade routes for a century of disputes over whether or no three chapters should be included in a book?

Or people nodding along with the radio before signing up for the Army?

Or yelling at the TV before taking to the streets of Washington, LA, Detroit, Paris or Prague?

St Francis, Zen and English shopkeepers have a lot in common.
Shit happens & spreads a lot quicker and more easily these days, I suspect, with associated consequences.

Shit happens & spreads a lot quicker and more easily these days, I suspect, with associated consequences.

The population size might have shifted but I don't think the dynamics have. That which used to happen in a city at the speed of light now happens globally. Where the city used to be the population (see popular, populist) it is now only a sample.

The population size might have shifted but I don't think the dynamics have. That which used to happen in a city at the speed of light now happens globally. Where the city used to be the population (see popular, populist) it is now only a sample.
The dynamics may be the same, but there's more, faster ways of spreading the word now. People who complain about being harrassed on the interwebs seem to say it's coming from all over the world now, not just from the neighbours or people who can walk up and complain.

The dynamics may be the same, but there's more, faster ways of spreading the word now. People who complain about being harrassed on the interwebs seem to say it's coming from all over the world now, not just from the neighbours or people who can walk up and complain.

Twitter and Facebook, just like the Newspapers and Broadcasters of old, suffer from people tuning out, ignoring the feed and doing other stuff. This shows up in reduced postings, users and revenues. Just like the old media.

Just as the message moves faster, disenchantment with the messenger moves faster as well. And the willingness to shoot the messenger.

Twitter and Facebook, just like the Newspapers and Broadcasters of old, suffer from people tuning out, ignoring the feed and doing other stuff. This shows up in reduced postings, users and revenues. Just like the old media.

Just as the message moves faster, disenchantment with the messenger moves faster as well. And the willingness to shoot the messenger.
So which would allow a small group, or individual, to amplify a message more quickly to a broader audience: newspaper or local radio, or FB/other social media?

Also, the audience of even the smallest social media outlet faaaaaaaaaaar exceeds that of even the largest paper even 10 years ago.

New modes of comms = need for new solutions to some different problems.

So which would allow a small group, or individual, to amplify a message more quickly to a broader audience: newspaper or local radio, or FB/other social media?

Also, the audience of even the smallest social media outlet faaaaaaaaaaar exceeds that of even the largest paper even 10 years ago.

New modes of comms = need for new solutions to some different problems.

I think we will have to disagree with each other here and shake hands. :)

I place my trust in the crowd, suasion and common sense. The occasional heretic may get burned as a witch but I consider that better than the alternative of central control.

Bump

This.

“The lesson learned out of this is that early reporting is better, even if the piece of intelligence that has arrived is not a credible piece, or cannot be verified.”

PM's Security Advisor Jody Thomas before the parliamentary committee on interference.

Thomas was arguing that a lot of info came across a lot of desks. But nobody highlighted it to a particular person as demanding a particular course of action.

All probably true. And a great way for somebody who does understand the implications of the information but doesn't wish to act, or wish others to act, to hide the information in plain sight.

But the key part, in my mind, relates to the often argued value of absorbing ALL AVAILABLE information and then making your own internal Scatter Diagram with Venn overlays to develop your own set of Possibles and Probables rather than waiting for someone else to do the distillation for you and establishing The Simple Truth, or worse, The Absolute Truth.

My opinion.

There are no Absolutes in this world. I can't speak to the next.
That is particularly true of Truth.
Truth is never Simple.
Truth is subjective
It is a matter of opinion.
It depends on the observer doing his/her/its own version of Boyd's OODA Cycle, Observe-Orient-Decide-Act-Observe.....

It depends first of all on what the observer observes.
That means that if the observer doesn't observe then the information not observed can't become part of the decision making process.
The non-existent observations don't enter into the orientation phase.
They don't enter into the creation of those Scatter Diagrams and Venn Diagrams.
They don't become part of the Probability and Possibility assessments.
Part of the page is blank.

And that will naturally skew the decision making process.
Which in turn will influence the action taken,

All of which is to say two things -

I want my government, ministers and deputy ministers, to spend more time Observing and Orienting than Deciding and Acting.
The carpenter's version is "Measure Twice. Cut Once."

And second, for all of us -

If you are going to rely on someone to filter the world for you be aware that you are relying on a person, a fallible person, just like you.
You are relying on their biases, biases that become stronger as they develop their own narrative of events, and biases that may evolve into an agenda.

Just like the rest of us.

Bump

This.

“The lesson learned out of this is that early reporting is better, even if the piece of intelligence that has arrived is not a credible piece, or cannot be verified.”

PM's Security Advisor Jody Thomas before the parliamentary committee on interference.

Thomas was arguing that a lot of info came across a lot of desks. But nobody highlighted it to a particular person as demanding a particular course of action.

All probably true. And a great way for somebody who does understand the implications of the information but doesn't wish to act, or wish others to act, to hide the information in plain sight.

But the key part, in my mind, relates to the often argued value of absorbing ALL AVAILABLE information and then making your own internal Scatter Diagram with Venn overlays to develop your own set of Possibles and Probables rather than waiting for someone else to do the distillation for you and establishing The Simple Truth, or worse, The Absolute Truth.

My opinion.

There are no Absolutes in this world. I can't speak to the next.
That is particularly true of Truth.
Truth is never Simple.
Truth is subjective
It is a matter of opinion.
It depends on the observer doing his/her/its own version of Boyd's OODA Cycle, Observe-Orient-Decide-Act-Observe.....

It depends first of all on what the observer observes.
That means that if the observer doesn't observe then the information not observed can't become part of the decision making process.
The non-existent observations don't enter into the orientation phase.
They don't enter into the creation of those Scatter Diagrams and Venn Diagrams.
They don't become part of the Probability and Possibility assessments.
Part of the page is blank.

And that will naturally skew the decision making process.
Which in turn will influence the action taken,

All of which is to say two things -

I want my government, ministers and deputy ministers, to spend more time Observing and Orienting than Deciding and Acting.
The carpenter's version is "Measure Twice. Cut Once."

And second, for all of us -

If you are going to rely on someone to filter the world for you be aware that you are relying on a person, a fallible person, just like you.
You are relying on their biases, biases that become stronger as they develop their own narrative of events, and biases that may evolve into an agenda.

Just like the rest of us.

This nicely sums up one of the key problems with Trudeau's Liberals...

"I speak of peace, while covert enmity under the smile of safety wounds the world."

William Shakespeare

This nicely sums up one of the key problems with Trudeau's Liberals...

"I speak of peace, while covert enmity under the smile of safety wounds the world."

William Shakespeare
"Shoobie Doobie Doo"
Frank Sinatra

I know it's FOX News but if the news report is correct, I understand why our national reporting is so dismal.

CBC leaked emails tell reporters to not use 'terrorist' in Hamas coverage: 'This is opinion, not fact'​

CBC executive told reporters that terrorism 'remains heavily politicized'​

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation gave strict guidelines to reporters on using the term "terrorist" in their coverage of Israel's war with Hamas, leaked emails reveal.

"Do not refer to militants, soldiers or anyone else as ‘terrorists.’ The notion of terrorism remains heavily politicized and is part of the story," CBC's director of journalistic standards, George Achi, wrote in an email to employees on Saturday.

The CBC executive instructed journalists to make sure audiences understand that when quoting someone using this term, they are stating "opinion."

"Even when quoting/clipping a government or a source referring to fighters as ‘terrorists,’ we should add context to ensure the audience understands this is opinion, not fact," he added.

U.S.-based group "StopAntisemitism" first shared the leaked email on X.

CBC journalists were also urged to avoid calling 2005 "the end" of Israeli occupation.

"Please do not describe 2005 as 'the end of the occupation' as Israel has maintained control over airspace, seafront, and virtually all movement into or out of the area," the email said. "Our description should be fact-based, referring to the end of permanent Israeli military presence on the ground."

A CBC spokesperson confirmed the internal email's legitimacy to Fox News Digital. The CBC characterized the protocol as similar to practices followed by other media outlets...

The email has more nuance than the claims about it.

This marks an inflection point at CBC, which has not really paid much attention to such fine points in its coverage of other matters in past years. Dare I hope it is permanent?

Back