• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Step Test Super Thread

I think it is around 40.  When I first tested I got a 37 somethin or 38 somethin.....and was told i was not all that far off

From here - http://www.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/050-01_e.asp
CFAO 50-1 ANNEX B APPENDIX 1, PHYSICAL FITNESS STANDARDS - CF MINIMUM
                                                                  MALE/HOMME                 FEMALE/FEMME
                                                              34 YEARS    35 YEARS        34 YEARS    35YEARS
                                                            AND UNDER/ AND OVER/       AND UNDER/ AND OVER/
CF EXPRES EVALUATION SCORES/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
V02 MAX                                                     39              35                      32          30
HANDGRIP/PRÉHENSION DE LA MAIN              75              73                      50          48
SIT-UPS/REDRESSEMENTS ASSIS                   19              17                      15          12
PUSH-UPS/EXTENSIONS DES BRAS                 19              14                       9             7

The higher your VO2 score, the better.
Greg

I think my V02max was 40 :\ I'm starting to think whent hey say a RCO will contact you within a week, means you failed.

DrSize said:
That could very well be a problem, that plus the meal.....who knows. I have been running pretty hard on the treadmill at the gym and think I should not have any problems when I retest. I will definetly make sure the weight is correct. I am at a huge disadvantage for measuring relative VO2 Max because I weigh around 290lbs......I think they should maybe try another way of testing like running on a track or even setting a treadmill at a certain speed and having to run at that speed for x minutes.....haha either way I just want to get the checkmark for having passed the physical testing, I am very impatient and hate waiting on things including results....I will be much more relieved after my interview on Monday, I want to redo my physical test on Monday as well so we will see

Your weight is not used to calculate your result on the step just your heart rate. See http://www.psphalifax.ns.ca/FleetFitness/expres.asp

You can get a reasonable measure of where you stand by using a treadmill or track and performing the old (and still used in some of the self evaluation forms you fill out at CFRC) 2.4 km (1.5 mile) test. The standard for this is listed here: http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/1_3_1_5.asp?FlashEnabled=1& if you are close to the minimum actable standard then you may have a problem with the step test and if you are in the superior range you should pass the step test easily.

I believe the CF stopped using the 2.4 km test because it is a maximal test, to do well you have to push yourself really hard, and this can cause injury (heart attack and death amongst others ;>) especially in untrained and or unfit pers. The step test on the other hand is a sub-maximal test and has far less chance for injury and is very reliable especially when you are just trying to figure out who does not meet a minimum standard and not trying to determine the exact VO2 max of very fit individuals.

When calculating relative VO2 Max which is what they do your weight plays a big role in the calculation.  A 5'7 150lb man has a much higher relative VO2 Max than a 6'3 300lb man even if they are in identical shape and can ran the exact same distance in the exact same time

carpediem said:
Your weight is not used to calculate your result on the step just your heart rate. See http://www.psphalifax.ns.ca/FleetFitness/expres.asp

You can get a reasonable measure of where you stand by using a treadmill or track and performing the old (and still used in some of the self evaluation forms you fill out at CFRC) 2.4 km (1.5 mile) test. The standard for this is listed here: http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/1_3_1_5.asp?FlashEnabled=1& if you are close to the minimum actable standard then you may have a problem with the step test and if you are in the superior range you should pass the step test easily.

I believe the CF stopped using the 2.4 km test because it is a maximal test, to do well you have to push yourself really hard, and this can cause injury (heart attack and death amongst others ;>) especially in untrained and or unfit pers. The step test on the other hand is a sub-maximal test and has far less chance for injury and is very reliable especially when you are just trying to figure out who does not meet a minimum standard and not trying to determine the exact VO2 max of very fit individuals.

Here is some info on VO2 Max

The value you are given by the test administrator will be in one of two forms. The first is called your absolute VO2 max. This value will be in liters/min and will probably be between 3.0 and 6.0 liters/min if you're a man and between 2.5 and 4.5 l/min if your are a woman. This absolute value does not take into account differences in body size, so a second way of expressing VO2 max is common. This is called your relative VO2 max. It will be expressed in milliliters per min per kg bodyweight (ml/min/kg). So if your absolute VO2 max was 4.0 liters/min and you weighed 75 kg, then your relative VO2 max would be 4000 divided by 75, or 53.3 ml/min/kg. In general, absolute VO2 max favors the large endurance athlete, while relative VO2 tends to be higher in smaller athletes.

So you want to build a great endurance athlete? Well we know the heart is important, as well as the composition of the working skeletal muscles. What is the effect of the size of the athlete?
Form Follows Function: The "optimal" physical dimensions of an endurance athlete are critically dependent on the specific demands of the sport. What is the resistance that must be overcome? If it is gravity, such as in running or road cycling in the mountains, then a high aerobic capacity relative to bodyweight is most important. If the primary resistance is air (time trial cyclist) or water, then absolute aerobic capacity is most important because bodyweight is supported during the activity.

We will assume for now that skeletal muscle characteristics (i.e. lactate threshold) are identical.

Let's put some numbers to this. Start with an elite road cyclist: 5'7" (1.70m) bodyweight 140 lbs (63.6 kg), absolute VO2 max 5.0 liters/min, (79 ml/kg/min). If we create a geometrically similar and qualitatively identical athlete that is 12% taller, he will be 6'3" (1.9 m). His cross sections (bones, muscles, heart) will all be related as the square of 1.7 to the square of 1.9. Because of the increased heart size and, therefore, stroke volume, absolute VO2 max will increase 25% to 6.25 l/min. So, this taller version should be a faster road cyclist right? Wrong. His volume (weight) will increased as a cubed function of height. Therefore our rider will now weigh 195 pounds (88.6 kg). His relative VO2 max will therefore decrease 9% to 71 ml/min/kg. This is still quite high, but not high enough to win major road races. Our big rider will suffer trying to stay with his smaller version in the hills. However, if he learns to row, his absolute increase in aerobic capacity will serve him well because the penalty for carrying around the extra mass will be less severe (there will be some, due to the increased wetted surface area [drag] of his boat).

In fact, these two hypothetical athletes are representative of the physical dimensions and capacities of elite road cyclists and rowers respectively. The men's U.S Olympic rowing team (35 members) averaged 6 feet 4 inches (1.92m) and 194 lbs (89 kg) with an absolute VO2 of 6.25 l/min (data supplied by Fred Hagerman PhD at Ohio University). I do not have exact figures for raod cyclists.

Well, I don't know why he would tell me to wait a week for the results if it wasn't bad  :-\ Then again it could be a RC thing. All I know is i weight 180 - 185 pounds (i have semi big muscles), 6" - 6'1 started at level 6 on the step test, made it to the next level then was stopped (don't know if i passed that) the next level I completed then was told ok that's enough. Have no idea, called the RC the next day left a messed the guy called me back and said, "well im looking at your file and you passed your test" I have no idea if he was referring to my CFAT or PT. If it was the PT why would the guy tell me 1 week then I call the next day and says I passed :\

Thanks for everyone's replys! You guys are a great help to everyone who seeks it, without these forums alot of questions would be left unanswered. As for my step test... i'm heading down the RC Friday to drop off my documents. I wont waste anymore of your guys time with this step test question and trouble i'll just find out friday, once again thanks.

A definite thanks for everyone who has posted on this topic.

It's Thursday night...by tomorrow it will be exactly a week since I did my PT and I have still heard nothing. I'll phone the RC tomorrow and see if they'll tell me anything.

I'll let you guys know what the result.

And again thanks for all the posts :salute:. This is a great site.

Hey. It was a few days ago I was in the Hamilton recruting office and I was getting information about the reserves, etc. The one soldier told me that they don't test you with the 2.4km run, they make you do the step test there. I've done step tests in my phys.ed classes at school, but I wasn't sure exactly how the army does theirs. I was wondering if anyone here did the step test, and what you do exactly?

Just wanted do get all my homework done before I apply.

Thanks,
-Ross

All it is, is walking up and down 3 steps for 3 minutes and then the person administering the test takes your heart rate.

I believe there's also an audio track that counts out the pace you have to keep up with.

it's pretty much which  CFN.Orange said. I'll go into a little bit more depth, cause im sure someone else is bound to ask more details soon.

The start you off at a certain level on the test (i started at lvl 6) the pick a level based on what they think (so the guy at the R/C told me). Theres 3 steps including the floor. They play music to the beat of your level. You walk up one then the other and go back down. For 3 minutes. If they see you're struggling or having difficulty they'll stop you. If not they move you on to the next level. That's pretty much it... the only way to prepare for this is to RUN RUN RUN and maybe walk upa nd down some stairs.

The previous comments on the step test DO accurately describe what it is.   I took it 12 days ago and here is my take:
    A set of 2 stairs and you go up and down to the beat on a CD for 3 minutes, then the proctor takes your heart rate.   If you're ok, you immidiately do another 3 minute session at a faster rate, then have your heart rate taken again. As far as I know the speed of the beat is based on your age.   The CD literally says "up 2, 3, down 2, 3   up 2, 3, down 2, 3   up 2, 3, down 2, 3   up 2, 3, down 2, 3" for 3 minutes.

I must comment ,however, that I passed the step test without any problems, yet my fastest 2.4km run is in the 16 minute range. What I am saying to anyone who has not taken the step test, is that it is not as scary as you might think it is!   If you are grossly out of shape or something then you could have trouble with it, but if you have been jogging regularly you will be fine. Do not let the step test stop you from applying!    
Personally, I think they are trying to screen out people who have a heart attack and vomit after walking to the fridge for another milkshake. (A bit extreme but you get the point).

Hope this helps,
JF

Okay thanks alot guys, you've been a really big help. My 2.4km run is around 10:20, might be able to get that lower too. So hopefully I'll be ok for it then.

Thanks again,
-Ross

As the first sgt i talked to at CFRC put it, you'll be moving up and down those stairs like a bat outta hell to a crappy beat.

bat out of hell? lmfao, for me the first level was pretty damn easy. (level 6)

It's actually 3 minutes times 2 sets...Thats what my guy did anyways...

And just keep focus lol...its quite annoying to keep the pass with up 2,3, down 2,3...Its like listening to teletubbies and tryin to kiss yor girlfriend lol :threat:

I cant count how many times I screwed up by doubling up on the middle step and almost losing my balance =(

Up two three, down two three... Traumitic nightmares for days after.  Couldn't get the song out of my head.  Now I have to go and administer 15 of them today.

Guys i did the step test two days ago and was stopped because of "White Coat Hypertension". Which means that my bloodpressure goes out of whack when i see doctors or get nervous like my testing. I have a good question.

I'm redoing the test this Tuesday, the instructor wasn't very clear on the whole format of the test, the levels, and there was one point where i thought the tape stopped so i did and she told me to keep going. Then i messed up altogether. Anyways i was wondering are we just stepping alongside the tape or trying to beat the tape? like the shuttle run perhaps? I have my clearance from my family doc so next time i won't be stopped.

Any help would be great, tips are most welcome. Darn blood pressure

Back