• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Stretching: The Truth

observor 69

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
New York Times

November 2, 2008
Phys Ed
Stretching: The Truth
By GRETCHEN REYNOLDS
WHEN DUANE KNUDSON, a professor of kinesiology at California State University, Chico, looks around campus at athletes warming up before practice, he sees one dangerous mistake after another. “They’re stretching, touching their toes. . . . ” He sighs. “It’s discouraging.”

If you’re like most of us, you were taught the importance of warm-up exercises back in grade school, and you’ve likely continued with pretty much the same routine ever since. Science, however, has moved on. Researchers now believe that some of the more entrenched elements of many athletes’ warm-up regimens are not only a waste of time but actually bad for you. The old presumption that holding a stretch for 20 to 30 seconds — known as static stretching — primes muscles for a workout is dead wrong. It actually weakens them. In a recent study conducted at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, athletes generated less force from their leg muscles after static stretching than they did after not stretching at all. Other studies have found that this stretching decreases muscle strength by as much as 30 percent. Also, stretching one leg’s muscles can reduce strength in the other leg as well, probably because the central nervous system rebels against the movements.
“There is a neuromuscular inhibitory response to static stretching,” says Malachy McHugh, the director of research at the Nicholas Institute of Sports Medicine and Athletic Trauma at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City. The straining muscle becomes less responsive and stays weakened for up to 30 minutes after stretching, which is not how an athlete wants to begin a workout.

“There is a neuromuscular inhibitory response to static stretching,” says Malachy McHugh, the director of research at the Nicholas Institute of Sports Medicine and Athletic Trauma at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City. The straining muscle becomes less responsive and stays weakened for up to 30 minutes after stretching, which is not how an athlete wants to begin a workout.

See more at link http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/sports/playmagazine/112pewarm.html?em=&pagewanted=print

I read a similar article a while back. The gist of it was that stretching before exercise is bad, and stretching after exercise is bad. The "experts" in the article stated that the only time stretching is good is when it is done as the primary activity (e.g. yoga).

I don't stretch before or after exercise. If I am going for a run, I walk a bit before and after the run. If I'm working out in the gym, I warm up with 10-15 minutes on the treadmill or elliptical and afer working with weights/machines, I finish the workout with some push-ups and/or sit-ups.

Yes that is the same idea that the New York Times article describes (see article link above),...dynamic movement versus static stretching.

On my CAP course this past summer we were also taught about the importance of Dynamic vice static stretching during the Instruct Army Physical Fitness PO. The concept is slowly being filtered out there.

The best stretching, IMO, is a warm up jog before and after a workout, and slow build up and slow down when running. Thats what I was taught and what I do, and it works for me. I always found the whole sitting in a circle touching your toes to be pretty useless for me. Yanking my leg muscles way outside their range of motion never really felt good, or helped me run any faster.

Eee.. I better stop stretching then. I'll perhaps do the type of thing the second poster said.  ;)

Marshall said:
Eee.. I better stop stretching then. I'll perhaps do the type of thing the second poster said.  ;)

Do what works for you. Consult a trainer too, thats where I get my info from.

Interesting.

After having trained for many years in MMA and powerlifting, practical experience has shown me and many others: if you don't stretch, you WILL get hurt.  The issue seems to be HOW to stretch.  I agree that the pansy-arse stretching exercises done at the beginning of most PT sessions do little for you.  Try a short jog or even short but quick sprinting. 

Geez - someone should have handed this research to all them martial art trainers who really take "no pain no gain" stretching to the max!!!!

I used to just go for a ride on my bike (7 to 15k ish) or go for a run 2.4k or more depending on how i felt. Then i tried the bike ride before running and found it made the run much more enjoyable. I then started riding 7k running 2.4k then riding another 7k home and made huge improvements in my running.

I can now ride 30k easily at high rates of speed and run 5 to 10 k depending on the weather and soreness and still be able to function will low soreness afterwards, although I still use cold packs afterwards if i feel any discomfort in my knee's.

I only stretch my legs on the days i am working my upper body.

Cheers.

At the start of my BMQ we would stretch before PT started, then half way through the course, one of our instructors recieved a memo or took a course (don't recall which it was) that we were to do a warm up then stretch.  Warmed up muscles stretch better than cold ones.  BIQ and battalion PT it's back to the old standard, stretch before doing anything.  RFT was more like what was in the article.

Wow...Interesting. I'll check out some of the resources mentioned. I'm also from the "old school", where stretching is the be-all and end-all of safety. I admit that I need to warm up more before even stretching.

twistedcables said:
Interesting.

After having trained for many years in MMA and powerlifting, practical experience has shown me and many others: if you don't stretch, you WILL get hurt.  The issue seems to be HOW to stretch. 

Quoted for emphasis. Also some clarity on why you're right. With martial arts that involve grappling, you will most likely end up on the wrong end of a joint lock/ limb yank etc., the range of motion involved in 'old style' stretches is almost identical to the ROM of many holds you encounter. As mentioned in this article, after those stretches, you muscles and connective tissues are somewhat weakened, but if you're stuck on the business end of an oma plata, a little extra stretch is a good thing. In that specific instance, the minor loss in strength can be worth the extra bendy factor.

However, for power exercises, non contact field sports etc, those trade offs aren't always beneficial. You'll have to vary your warm up/ stretch routine from activity to activity.

The only constant is warming your muscles. This is always beneficial. Not just for the muscle tissue, but to get your cardio and respiratory systems functioning at an active vs. resting level.

Good to hear that PT is taken seriously, and with ongoing scrutiny in the CF. Properly done PT can be a lot of fun!

I've had a kinesiology undergrad and a physiotherapy grad student both tell me not to stretch so I don't.

So I've been told / read, while the chance of hurting yourself stretching is minimal, the supposed benefits are completely non-existent (statistically), so any risk isn't worth it.

Of course 'warming up' is something else entirely, and should be done.

Back