• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Study: CF Snipers "coping as well or better than regular soldiers"

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
This summary of a paper just out at Defence Research and Development Canada (DRDC):
This paper reports on the research conducted in the first year of a three-year study on the psychological well-being of snipers. This research began with an interview-based study of 19 snipers who had served in Afghanistan and who were still serving as snipers in Canadian army units. The results of this study show that the snipers had elevated scores on a generalized measure of psychological stress, but their scores were not as high as those of a sample of nonsnipers (from another study) who had served in Afghanistan. This finding suggests that the snipers were coping as well or better than regular soldiers. When asked about specific combat experiences, the differences were more dramatic, however. Snipers experienced more combat than the non-sniper group and expressed more concern over their combat experiences than the non-snipers. In contrast to these findings, the snipers also expressed high levels of satisfaction with their careers and stated that being a sniper had been a positive influence in their lives. Given the inconsistency of these findings, it is proposed that this research be expanded to include more standardized measures of possible outcomes and a larger sample during the second and third years of the project.

J. Peter Bradley (Department of Military Psychology and Leadership, Royal Military College of Canada), "An Exploratory Study on Sniper Well-Being:  Report on the First Year of Sniper Well-Being Research (FY 2008-2009)," DRDC, July 2010 (link to 37 page study at Scribd.com)

The book "On Killing"  has a good explanation for this.  For most people, there is a part of their brain that will try to prevent you from killing another person.  When a person doesn't listen to that part of the brain, they may strt having mental problems, like PTSD.  Through conditioning this is becoming less of a problem as it was in pre-Vietnam conflicts, where they were finding a very high percentage of soldiers not firing their weapon at the enemy, or they were posturing.  I don't want to offend any snipers with this, ha ha, but those people that seek out opportunities in special military units, tend to be different in their brain allowing them to ignore that little voice in the head stopping you from killing that person without prolonged mental anguish from doing so.

This is all a paraphrase of the basis of the book.  It may not be worded quite right, if someone can make it more understandable, feel free.

I personally don't see the inconsistency that this study purports, and I believe that the career satisfaction and positive view on the sniper experience stems greatly from the greater autonomy and individual responsibility that snipers are accorded compared to their rifle company brethren, both overseas and in garrison.

I think if this study had included recce platoon members, it would have found similar results among those members as well. I don't claim that snipers are better than recce (or anyone else, for that matter), but recce is typically the feeder subunit for the sniper group, and the UMS is typically given license to cherry-pick from those members of recce that he feels would contribute the most to the cell, as recce personnel are themselves drawn from the companies according to their merits.

As far as being "wired" differently... I can't say I've noticed it. Most of our snipers tend to come across as oddballs, but whether that's due to them actually being odd, or simply because their idiosyncrasies are more noticeable in a small group, or simply because there's a pre-existing expectation that they're supposed to be odd... Not for me to say. I tend to take everything Mr. Grossman says with a grain of salt, having found my underoos remarkably shy of fecal matter after my first big firefight.

It's also well-recognized that resilience is tied to the degree of apparent control a subject feels over his environment. Presumably snipers, who operate with a relative degree of autonomy, would feel more in control of their situation than someone working in a LAV and wondering when the next IED is going to hit.

Perhaps the difference lays in the speed in which an event comes on?  For the most part, snipers have a more deliberate job to do and get to mentally prepare for the task at hand.  For the average infanteer on a combat patrol, things can turn to the dumper in an instant when something blows up or an ambush is triggered.  That instant switching of gears is tremendously stressful and that is the stress inoculation that Col Grossman was speaking to in one of his books. 

By and large, putting a stop to someone who needs it and is intending to harm you or one of your team is fairly easy to reconcile. 

I think it's important to note that the comparison between regular soldiers and snipers revolves more around what is happening to them, rather than what they are doing...

4.6 Table 3. Most Troubling Combat Experiences
Impact of combat stressors.

Table 3 lists the combat experiences (from Appendix 1) that the snipers found most troubling. Figure 3 provides more detailed information on the stressors listed in Table 3 including some comparisons with TFA 2007 where comparable data were reported by Garabedian and Blanc (2008).Where comparable data are available in Figure 3, it seems that the sniper sample generally found their combat experiences more troubling than TFA 2007 soldiers, perhaps because they experienced more of these stressors more frequently (see Table 2) than the TFA sample.These results contrast with those in Figure 2 showing that snipers scored lower on the K10 than TFA 2007 respondents.How can snipers have lower scores on a general measure of distress (i.e., the K10) than the TFA sample, but higher scores on concern with specific combat stressors?It is not apparent from the present study, but this is clearly a matter for further research.
________________________________________________________________________ Item Experience ________________________________________________________________________

9. Knowing someone seriously injured or killed
28. Having a member of your own unit become a casualty
24. Receiving incoming artillery, rocket or mortar fire
11. Improvised IED or booby trap exploded near you
15. Being in threatening situations when you were unable to respond because of ROEs
8. Seeing dead or seriously wounded Canadians
23. Seeing ill or injured people you were unable to help
12. Working in areas that were mined or had IEDs
29. Had a close call; dud landed near you
4. Seeing dead bodies or human remains

Note that none of these items of concern have anything to do with killing people. From my own personal experience overseas, I can say that the event that affected me the most wasn't shooting at or killing anyone, but rather watching my crew commander get shot in the head. The data isn't there for regular soldiers in regards to shooting at or killing people, but the data from the snipers suggests that events such as "being directly responsible for the death of an enemy" are not particularly troubling. Without the corresponding data from regular soldiers, I think it's premature to say whether or not snipers are affected any differently by killing someone.

Illegio said:
I think it's important to note that the comparison between regular soldiers and snipers revolves more around what is happening to them, rather than what they are doing...
Isn't it amazing what bizarre twists a discussion can take........when people actually read the document they're commenting on    ;)

Bonus points to Illegio    :nod:

Just an update - Mr. Bradley visited our unit today and it looks like he's continuing his study. One of the problems he mentioned in his last study was that his study sample was very small - fewer than twenty individuals, in fact. It sounds like he's expanding his sampling to include more units and hopefully get a more representative cross-section of the CF sniper community.

It's also interesting that prior to his current civilian position, Mr. Bradley was a member of the infantry for twelve years in 2RCR. I think I speak for both my peers and I when I say that this experience makes him quite a bit more relatable than were he coming from a purely civilian or even a non-infantry background.

I look forward to seeing the results of his current survey. For anyone who's deployed, it's very similar to the survey you filled out when you got back, expanded to include aspects of sniper employment and disposition.

"Mr" Peter Bradley has been around the block a few times. One of the best profs at RMC, IMHO (many of the younger ones may disagree, but their minds will probably be changed after a deployment or two).

It will be very interesting when he pulls some more data together. I wonder if we will see a difference in units/Areas in any aspects of the survey?

Wookilar

.... with this:
Canadian snipers who have served in Afghanistan report being less traumatized by the war than the average soldier, according to a study that offers a rare glimpse into the minds of Canada's battle-hardened troops.

Rather than expressing regret over their deadly line of work, snipers say they feel justified in killing enemies who pose a threat to Canadian troops and Afghan civilians. Moreover, most show high levels of career satisfaction, and say their job has been a positive influence in their lives.

Yet snipers report being more troubled than other soldiers when asked about specific combat experiences, such as knowing that someone has been seriously injured or killed in action, or seeing members of their unit become a casualty.

The findings are part of an ongoing three-year study commissioned by Defence R&D Canada, the research arm of the Department of National Defence. They paint a complex, at times contradictory, portrait of the carefully screened, elite soldiers who are paid to take out the enemy from afar ....

Link to study (at Scribd.com) here.

Remember, you read it here first  ;)

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Canadian+snipers+less+stressed+than+average+soldier+Study/4065683/story.html

OTTAWA — Canadian snipers who have served in Afghanistan report being less traumatized by the war than the average soldier, according to a study that offers a rare glimpse into the minds of Canada's battle-hardened troops.

Rather than expressing regret over their deadly line of work, snipers say they feel justified in killing enemies who pose a threat to Canadian troops and Afghan civilians. Moreover, most show high levels of career satisfaction, and say their job has been a positive influence in their lives.

Yet snipers report being more troubled than other soldiers when asked about specific combat experiences, such as knowing that someone has been seriously injured or killed in action, or seeing members of their unit become a casualty.

The findings are part of an ongoing three-year study commissioned by Defence R&D Canada, the research arm of the Department of National Defence. They paint a complex, at times contradictory, portrait of the carefully screened, elite soldiers who are paid to take out the enemy from afar.

A House of Commons committee has estimated that 1,120 of the 27,000 Canadian soldiers who served in Afghanistan between 2002 and 2008 showed symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder. Yet a number of soldiers who have returned from the war have complained that the military does not provide adequate care to those afflicted with the disorder.

After reports of snipers being traumatized, the former commander of Canada's land forces, Lieut.-General Andrew Leslie, called for an examination of their psychological well-being. Previously, little was known about the unique makeup of snipers.

"Unlike other soldiers who can deflect their responsibility for killing by rationalizing that they were led into battle by their officers, or had to kill in order to stay alive, snipers have more autonomy than conventional combat soldiers and often have discretion as to who they kill and who they don't," writes study author J. Peter Bradley, a retired lieutenant-colonel in the Canadian Forces who now works as a professor at Royal Military College in Kingston, Ont.

In his initial exploratory study, Bradley interviewed 19 snipers who had served in Afghanistan and been back to Canada for at least six months. Most had killed someone in combat. Because of the small sample size, Bradley cautions that more research needs to be done before any firm conclusions can be drawn about the sniper community.

Compared with a general benchmark, the snipers exhibited escalated levels of psychological stress after taking a test known as the Kessler Psychological Distress Scale. However, their stress levels were actually lower than the average scores of Canadian soldiers who served in Afghanistan.

Bradley notes the Canadian Forces have been developing a system of tests to filter out candidates who don't fit the right psychological profile. According to this research, snipers tend to score low on "neuroticism," high on conscientiousness and low on "tender mindedness."

According to conventional theory, soldiers typically feel an initial sense of euphoria after killing someone in combat. Most later express remorse, and in the third stage, they try to rationalize their actions — a process that can haunt soldiers for the rest of their lives, Bradley notes.

But the snipers he interviewed showed little remorse, with one third stating that they had no feelings about killing, since they were just doing their job.

Bradley says it's possible snipers truly have no regrets and are coping well. "First, killing in combat may not be as traumatic as one might think. Humans have been killing one another in combat for millennia. Second, even if we assume that killing in combat is traumatic, not everyone suffers after experiencing trauma."

However, he also suggests the snipers could have been concealing their feelings to reconcile conflicting emotions about killing, or to "protect their place within the sniper community."

"Snipers are top soldiers and weakness is not consistent with the sniper image," Bradley writes.

Read more: http://www.canada.com/news/Canadian+snipers+less+stressed+than+average+soldier+Study/4065683/story.html#ixzz1ADm4t9kq

Want to take The Kessler Psychological Distress Scale test
Also known as K10.
Get your instant results here

These are the 10 questions:
During the past 30 days, about how often ...

All of the time---Most of the time---Some of the time---A little of the time---None of the time

Did you feel tired out for no good reason?     
Did you feel nervous?     
Did you feel so nervous that nothing could calm you down?     
Did you feel hopeless?     
Did you feel restless or fidgety?     
Did you feel so restless that you could not sit still?     
Did you feel depressed?     
Did you feel that everything was an effort?     
Did you feel so sad that nothing could cheer you up?     
Did you feel worthless?     

I watched a documentary on Rob Furlong he seemed very emotionally stable and at ease with what he had accomplished. He emphasized on it just being a job to him and that the kills didn't bother him. Perhaps soldiers who sign up for the sniper course selection already have that mindset?

But the snipers he interviewed showed little remorse, with one third stating that they had no feelings about killing, since they were just doing their job.

Am  I the only who renembers lines like that as the the most fucked up thing ever?

'

I don't think we should be connecting the statments from many years ago to those of our serving members.  Under the circumstances it was most likely more tactful then many things that could have been said. 

Perhaps it's how they actually felt.

I've felt the same thing after going on an op, getting into a TIC and seeing the effects of 120mm on the human body....just doing my job.

I still do to this very day.

Regards

Why is it that people think that you MUST be traumatized if you train for a job, then do it.

It's when people say "its just a job", it sounds like they have no feeling at all, that what they do has no meaning to them other than a paycheck.

I know/hope I'm wrong, that when people say those lines they mean like you see in a old western, not like in  a warcrime trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back