• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Suez Canal blocked by EVERGIVEN

A view from on high

Though the photo in the tweet purports that it was taken "this morning" according to some reports the ship has been moved against the bank of the canal.

. . .

As of Wednesday morning, the Ever Given had been partially refloated and moved alongside the bank of the canal, Suez port agent GAC told Reuters. . . .

Last edited:
Billions of dollars worth of time passing away and they've got one excavator working...not even a large crowd of concerned engineers and workers standing around pointing at things.

Billions of dollars worth of time passing away and they've got one excavator working...not even a large crowd of concerned engineers and workers standing around pointing at things.

Well, to make you happy . . .

Engineer and officials.jpg

Admiral Osama Rabie, Chairman and Managing Director of the Suez Canal Authority has announced today; Thursday March 25th, 2021, that navigation through the Suez Canal is temporarily suspended. That is only until the floatation works of the large Panamanian container vessel EVER GIVEN; that ran aground at the 151 km area (Canal Marking), are complete.
His Excellency has declared that yesterday witnessed the transit of 13 vessels from Port Said, among the Northern convoy, that were expected to continue their transit through the Canal according to projections on the time of completion of the floatation works of the grounding vessel. However, an alternative scenario had to be adopted; which entailed those vessels dropping anchor in the Bitter Lakes waiting area, until navigation can be fully resumed after the floatation of the vessels.
The floatation efforts included towing and pushing the grounding vessel using 8 large tugboats; largest of which is BARAKA 1 with a towing power of 160 tons.

Has anyone else read the recent claims that there is some RUMINT that it may have been geo-hijacked by the CCP? Interesting theory.

Has anyone else read the recent claims that there is some RUMINT that it may have been geo-hijacked by the CCP? Interesting theory.
It crossed my mind that a threat actor may have remotely exploited the ship. There is a lot of potentially vulnerable operational technology in play across various industries, as security has often been overlooked. At the same time though, ships do seem to collide or run aground sometimes...

Bring in these two; they'll get it out. ;)

the-beachcombers.jpg

Might be time to 'de-nationalize' that canal again :)

But seriously, this is the first time this has ever happened I think, so I believe Hanlon's Razor ( "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity") applies here.

While rare, not the first time. According to this Bloomberg article there have been "75 shipping incidents reported over the past decade" in the Suez Canal. This latest has undoubtedly resulted in the longest closure, but the canal was been closed for days and hours before due to collisions, fires and groundings. And then of course, there were the years it was closed due to the unpleasantness between Israel and the Arab world - that's my personal memory of the canal, crossing it in blackout on the pontoon bridge at Qantara that went up every night.

Might be time to 'de-nationalize' that canal again :)

But seriously, this is the first time this has ever happened I think, so I believe Hanlon's Razor ( "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity") applies here.
It's one of the biggest ships in the world and it ran aground in a windstorm with Suez Canal pilots in charge. Not really hard to imagine a scenario where they get pushed aground from having a huge sail and can't steer out of it.

Not that it couldn't be hacked, but seems like a massive amount of work and risks war, and China will also be affected by it when the EU exports start backing up in their container yards with no ships to pick them up. China is also on a big PR campaign trying to win influence with all the countries in the region who are directly affected, so not really sure why they would spend billions on those aid efforts and then do something like this in a fit of pique.

If someone had hacked it and managed to make it run aground, that would be both impressive and frightening, but seems kind of pointless anyway if you can't claim it. Really don't follow the logic there.

I mean, we managed to run an AOR into a floating dry dock while turning around in Halifax harbour when the ship drifted faster than we could correct for it. No one was blaming another country for that one (also pretty hard to remotely hack pneumatic-mechanical controls). In a way, sailing around with yesterdays technology tomorrow frustrates modern hackers, who are working about 10 years ahead of what we have fitted.

It's one of the biggest ships in the world and it ran aground in a windstorm with Suez Canal pilots in charge. Not really hard to imagine a scenario where they get pushed aground from having a huge sail and can't steer out of it.

Not that it couldn't be hacked, but seems like a massive amount of work and risks war, and China will also be affected by it when the EU exports start backing up in their container yards with no ships to pick them up. China is also on a big PR campaign trying to win influence with all the countries in the region who are directly affected, so not really sure why they would spend billions on those aid efforts and then do something like this in a fit of pique.

If someone had hacked it and managed to make it run aground, that would be both impressive and frightening, but seems kind of pointless anyway if you can't claim it. Really don't follow the logic there.

I mean, we managed to run an AOR into a floating dry dock while turning around in Halifax harbour when the ship drifted faster than we could correct for it. No one was blaming another country for that one (also pretty hard to remotely hack pneumatic-mechanical controls). In a way, sailing around with yesterdays technology tomorrow frustrates modern hackers, who are working about 10 years ahead of what we have fitted.
The voice of reason. Well said sir.

The voice of reason. Well said sir.
In this case, I'm inclined to agree with Navy_Pete until I see evidence to the contrary. I can barely pilot small watercraft on a good day, so I can't even fathom something that large and unresponsive.

With that said, I believe it's important to keep an open mind to emerging threats or technology. It's easy to dismiss things as fantasy until your units start unintentionally breaking EMCON, or your defensive systems are suddenly deactivated at an inopportune moment. Perhaps you aren't even being directly controlled, but your systems have been compromised in a manner in which your inputs don't correlate to the desired or expected outputs.

Additionally, one must not rule out the human factors. Recent events have shown us that those occupying even the most senior positions often have their fair share of skeletons in the closet. It is not unreasonable to conclude that individuals (military or civilian) in high-stress/tempo occupations may make poor decisions at some point...enough so that a state or non-state actor may be able to coerce them into providing sufficient access to systems to pull some scary things off.

Apologize for continued derailed, but I feel certain dead horses are worth beating.

In this case, I'm inclined to agree with Navy_Pete until I see evidence to the contrary. I can barely pilot small watercraft on a good day, so I can't even fathom something that large and unresponsive.

With that said, I believe it's important to keep an open mind to emerging threats or technology. It's easy to dismiss things as fantasy until your units start unintentionally breaking EMCON, or your defensive systems are suddenly deactivated at an inopportune moment. Perhaps you aren't even being directly controlled, but your systems have been compromised in a manner in which your inputs don't correlate to the desired or expected outputs.

Additionally, one must not rule out the human factors. Recent events have shown us that those occupying even the most senior positions often have their fair share of skeletons in the closet. It is not unreasonable to conclude that individuals (military or civilian) in high-stress/tempo occupations may make poor decisions at some point...enough so that a state or non-state actor may be able to coerce them into providing sufficient access to systems to pull some scary things off.

Apologize for continued derailed, but I feel certain dead horses are worth beating.
I’m inclined to agree.

"Additionally, one must not rule out the human factors. Recent events have shown us that those occupying even the most senior positions often have their fair share of skeletons in the closet. It is not unreasonable to conclude that individuals (military or civilian) in high-stress/tempo occupations may make poor decisions at some point...enough so that a state or non-state actor may be able to coerce them into providing sufficient access to systems to pull some scary things off."

I fully understand & appreciate your well stated opinion. Much more can be stated, and would probably require/result in another thread.

In most organizations, there is always a 2 I/C, to take over in the event that the commander "makes a poor decision". Prior planning and fail safe options make for a stable plan. Just my 2 cents worth.

Walt

Not related but a cool video of a giant taker hitting a wave and the bow snapping.

Not related but a cool video of a giant taker hitting a wave and the bow snapping.
Hate to burst your bubble, but that's not a giant tanker. That's a relatively small, very narrow, and very shallow river barge that got stuck just outside its "river" in the black sea during some really bad weather. Actually it's not even thta bad weather, just really bad relative to a typical river, and these things are not designed for this kind of weather.

Back