• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Survey: Vets "Face Significant Barriers Finding Meaningful Employment"

If you google around you can find some helpful stuff like this:

http://www.military.com/veteran-jobs/career-advice/resume-writing/making-your-resume-interview-ready.html

I understand how to do it now, but it took missing a good opportunity to realize how to do it.  I was point this out so that other may learn, since not that many people are aware of these shenanigans.

Danjanou said:
Often the clue is in the actual job call. Their description of what they want and what they're looking for should almost be recreated word for word in the initial statement of their resume.

Example I just pulled this off of the Working in Canada website ( a great resource BTW) for Security Guard http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/home-eng.do?lang=eng

Their website:

Secure Protection Services is a security company in Calagary that specializes in mobile patrol inspections. Please visit us again at secureprotection.ca if you are looking for a reliable and efficient security company in Calgary and the surrounding areas

The job call online:

"Enforce regulations of establishments; Maintain order; Use telecommunications (i.e. two-way radio, cell phone, pager); Detect or prevent thefts and vandalism; Write reports"

Your resume buzz words would probably be:

Mobile patrol, reliable, efficient, use telecommunications , maintain order etc.

A bit simple but you get the idea
And you make it as easy for the HR person to match what they want to what you have, even if you have to draw up a table with the "what they asked for"(word for word) in one column, and "what you offer" in the column right next to it, using the buzzwords and translating what you did in the CF to what's sought.  I've attached a quick & dirty example using Danjanou's example and some "wordsmithing" of some of what soliders learn/teach/do.

There are resoruces available within the CF - local PSO offices are mandated to deliver such support.  See, among other resources, the SCAN program: http://www.admfincs-smafinsm.forces.gc.ca/dao-doa/5000/5031-4-eng.asp

My entire release was done in 2 weeks, the majority of it during the last week of my VIE.  What SCAN seminar?  Oh yeah, now I remember.  You need to go on a winter survival exercise a month before your release date, so you don't have time to attend any seminars.  Good thing I still had all my kit until 2 days before I finalized everything.  Meanwhile, people releasing a month after me, were able to attend the seminar, and miss the FTX.

Either Canadian employers aren't interested in supporting Canada's veterans, or they aren't aware of the support that's needed.

Eh. I agree that it's more on the CAF and members themselves - with the exception of programs like Helmets to Hard Hate, employers on the whole aren't in the business of providing "support" to populations that might want a job. They're interested in hiring good employees with the proper skillsets/trainability/whatever for the position. It's up to the member for the most part, with some level of support from CAF, to learn how to market themselves for civilian employment.

milnews.ca said:
And you make it as easy for the HR person to match what they want to what you have, even if you have to draw up a table with the "what they asked for"(word for word) in one column, and "what you offer" in the column right next to it, using the buzzwords and translating what you did in the CF to what's sought.  I've attached a quick & dirty example using Danjanou's example and some "wordsmithing" of some of what soliders learn/teach/do.

Nice one, I am so stealing this and passing it on to my resume coach/job developer here who is beoming our resident SME on converting military resumes to civy ones.

Just a pet peeve of mine about CF folks who contact me for advice/ help in job seeking:

I get CF folks calling me from time to time for ideas about jobs and contacts in the job market. They typically rank from Sergeant to LCol. They seem interested and engaged, so I try to link them up with people I know who might be able to help them - usually via email or by a conversation of some kind.

Almost always, they either never call/ connect with these people or, if they do, they rarely follow up. They also seldom reconnect with me to say thanks, offer to buy me a coffee/beer etc, and I get a sense that they feel entitled to this help in some odd way.

The end result is that the people I know, and who I have referred these CF folks to, wind up thinking that I am a bit of a flake, or that CF members in general are flakes. I also get gun shy of ever wanting to help people like this again.

In the past 10 years or so I have had one huge success, where a CF guy got a great job through a contact I helped him manage. The rest, not so much to the point that I have stopped referring people who contact me as I fear my own reputation is at stake.

Just sayin' ...

daftandbarmy said:
The end result is that the people I know, and who I have referred these CF folks to, wind up thinking that I am a bit of a flake, or that CF members in general are flakes. I also get gun shy of ever wanting to help people like this again.

Well, mamy CAF members probably are flakes. No different than the rest of the population. The Helmet to HH type programs extol the leadership and self-motivation of CAF members, and that's true in many cases...but untrue in others. Being one of the last true cradle-to-grave career opportunities, let's face it, CAF is not the worst place to park your ass if you're generally lazy and unwilling to do more than the minimum needed to keep the job. Having to hustle on civi street can be rough after that.

Let us make one thing clear, it is not nor should it be the military's job to help soldier Bloggins find a job after he has decided to leave the service.  People need to realize that they aren't going to be hand-fed civvie side like they are in the military and that they might actually have to work to make the connections to land a job civvie side.  The only guys that are going to be able to land a high paying job right off the bat out of the military with very little effort are the very senior leadership (CWO's & Col's/Gen Offrs) who have made the necessary connections and have the reputation and credibility that their rank gives them.

Someone mentioned it in this thread earlier, guess what boys and girls it is all about networking which is something military folk are very generally bad at because as was pointed out, military folk often don't associate with people outside of the military.  If you want to land a good job civvy side brush up on your people skills and start talking to folks.  I personally carry a pack of business cards (which I made myself) so that when I go to any meetings and meet new people I can exchange contact information! 

Also, another good tool is LinkedIn, whenever you meet someone new, check to see if they have a linkedin account.  I have only had mine for about 6 months now but already have over a 100+ contacts.  This could prove very valuable in the future if I am looking for other employment.  Remember it is not what you know, it is who you know!

The above is true. Networking is also easier now than ever before via the Internet. And when I released there was more than enough help given to me... Albeit I never used that info. Also while you're in the cf gives you plenty of opportunity to upgrade your resume civi side. Usually on the army's dime and your time. Yes your time, the army agreed to train you in your trade. Anything else is pretty much extra. Kind of like the civilian world. Only you'll have to make time and pay.

The CF trains just enough to give you skill in tasks but not enough to get the ticket which is recognized outside the military.  Job fairs sponsored by the military during SCANs would be a great start, then you get to talk to them about what they want and you can prepare for it.

Danjanou said:
Nice one, I am so stealing this and passing it on to my resume coach/job developer here who is beoming our resident SME on converting military resumes to civy ones.
PM inbound with a bit more detail, bud.

Here is another idea as well, how many soldiers are actually members of their Regimental Association or something similar?  I am a member of both the RCR Association and the RMC Club and the amount of jobs I hear about through these channels is astounding.  Again it all goes back to networking, start building the network and it will become easier and easier to find meaningful employment.

Back