• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Survival kits

Jarnhamar said:
Anything else that might be beneficial?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPwW7RaPO_g

I thought I had a thread already. I did a quick search and came up short, could you do me a favor and bike this thread? I'll post in the old one.

SupersonicMax said:
Most of those are already in our personnal/aircraft survival kit.  No, we cannot bring a lighter.

Not all of us get the LPSV and the kit onboard the LPUC is lacking, IMO. 

I'm a fan (for multi) of having "something" in my leg pocket for sustained overland like this tin idea;  never guaranteed you're going to ride it in with the plane or that anything will actually survive.  My 'min' is a good knife, a LifeStraw and 30ish feet of paracord.

Looks like a nice piece of kit to me;  I'd mash some Vaseline into the cotton balls and double-wrap them in saran wrap or something (great fire starter).  Nothing like a little extra insurance and that can easily fit in a leg pocket or helmet/helmet bag.  :2c:

Thanks for combining the thread.

Is the personal/aircraft survival kit list protected info?

As a Sar Tech I based my personal survival kit on the generic survival pattern using quality gear....which could mean spending a bit of cash.

First Aid (massive bleeds focused - Quality Tourniquet, quick clot, field dressing )
Fire - matches, knife(capable of batoning), folding saw if you've got the space
Shelter (siltarp, paracord)
Signals (strobe, mirror)
Food and water (water purification tablets/ lifestraw, snarewire. Maybe a protein bar or two if they haven't been previously crushed on a long search...)

I have odds and sods over and above this but these are my personal basics. I also have nobody shooting at me as my line of work is purely domestic. Three cheers for bright lights, color and noise!

Jarnhamar said:
Thanks for combining the thread.

Is the personal/aircraft survival kit list protected info?

It is CG at the least (the stuff I have at least).

Like EITS and Happy said, 550-cord, and lots of it*.  I'd also consider a windproof mini-butane torch/lighter, maybe not allowed in a fighter (or multi), but on cam green things, I always had one.

Cheers
G2G

*  :warstory: - not survival per se, but on tour, guys in green (well, tan, but you know what I mean) used to always razz me about the significant length of 550-cord I would always have on me.  On day, heading up GREEN ROUTE from Camp Julien into town, when the hood latch on the Suburban failed at a decent rate of knots, and the hood swung up blocking the windshield.  I pulled over, fortunately not running into anybody on the packed roadway.  Pulled out my trusty length of 550 and cut some to secure the hood back down for the rest of the drive.  I never got razzed again...well, at least for carrying a big wad of 550 around with me.

Ah, yes! 550-cord: The paratrooper's duct tape.  ;D And to whittle away the hours while you wait to be rescued, you can make little poppies with it, if you know how to make and then flatten a Turk's head knot.  ;D

Has anyone seen / used this?

https://www.livefiregear.com/550-firecord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM-76s15cOY

It is a 550 cord that has a strand of cord inside the sheath that is flammable and designed to be fire starter. 

Neat idea if it works, a two functions for one item win. 

MC

Bumping this (hope no one minds)

Curious if anyone is still building their own survival kit/go-bag?

Also, anyone invested in any emergency comms or back-up power solutions?

I have a 4 day bug out bag that I use for short solo camping trips or overnighters with friends. I found it was a big jump to get away from bringing 3-4 days worth of water and switching over to a water purifier and water tabs but it's a lot better.

For a survival kit (sorta) I'm looking at picking up a cell phone signal booster. One mobile and one for a cabin. Those things work really well.

For back up power last fall I tried rigging up a hydroelectric power set up in a fast moving stream. Big fail.

What are you running in terms of purifier/tabs? Definitely easier in terms of space/weight.

For any sort of signal booster to be of use, there needs to be a signal available in the first place. So not sure I'd count on that for a true emergency. Satellite phones could be of use depending what the emergency was, but again not something I would count on. Obviously applies to GPS as well.

I'm looking mostly into a radio-based solution. Something mobile, and perhaps capable of data in addition to voice.

As for back-up power, I guess dismounted it's going to be more limited due to weight constraints. I guess it depends what you are trying to run. I'm looking into some options that would be practical to use at home, or from a vehicle mostly. But still plan to have a small back-up source for go-bag.

Eye In The Sky said:
I'll jump in no one minds;  wife is watching a chic-flic.

MSR Sweetwater  I love the double-hose setup.

I carry one of these;  originally got one for my helmet bag:  LifeStraw

Carry these as a backup but haven't had to use yet:  Aquatabs

These are new products for MSR this year, I think these will rock (if they work as advertised):

Thru-Link™ Inline Water Filter

Home Emergency Water Filter

Do the LifeStraws live up to the reviews I’ve read? (Assuming we get a chance this summer) I decided to order a few small things to add to my outdoor/camping gear. I haven’t received it yet, but a simple and decently long-lasting water filtration option was really important just to have in general. The comments people were making about the product were top-notch, and it’s not expensive so decided to select it.

I've had no problem with mine;  I've 'tested it' with lake water.  They're fairly durable, for the construction, I find.  I had one that went in my "evasion" pack on 3 ROTOs of IMPACT and it didn't crack.  I didn't switch to the metal case when they came out with that model.

I first saw it on an episode of Survivorman;  he was using it to drink water from a pond/Stillwater source that had runoff from a sheep pasture and he was fine.  I bought one almost immediately.  lol

I use the Katadyn Vario water filter and for backup Katadyn Micropur tablets (and an untested life straw).

Where I frequent there's a lot of hills and valleys so cell signals are intermittent at best. The cell booster really works it's magic and jacks the signal from 0 bars to 3 or 4.

Long term plan is to set HAM radios at buddies places all across Ontario (and some out of province), radios inside vehicles and some handhelds. Some handhelds I've seen guys using can get 30+ Km ranges.

I have things I use for normal recreation that double as my "normal" and "extended" plan for things like cooking, boiling water.  I have stoves and pot sets that include solo and multi-person for backpacking or canoe/car camping. Depending on what I'm doing, if Mrs EITS is with me, etc...that determines what I take/use. 

Coleman 425.  I love these.  I pair this up with a cast iron frying pan, a stainless steel coffee percolator, and a small pot and that will do pretty much everything I need it to do for cooking.

MSR WhisperLite International for colder temps, and a MSR Pocket Rocket for a canister stove (love how fast/easy this is).  I pair those up with either the Weekend HE (the heat exchanger...very quick boil time...and I use a windscreen as well) or the Pinnacle Dualist II.

I considered multi-fuel versions like the Coleman Guide 424 and the MSR WhisperLite Universal, but the cost and uncertainty (I've never known anyone who actually used one) made me go with the standard ones.  If naptha supply becomes a problem, gas etc might be too.  I do wish I would have at least went with one multi-fuel...

But, I do have a backup for 'no fuel' times;  Kelly Kettle.  Right now I've only got the aluminum Trekker kit complete (hobo stove, etc) but I have the intention to get the BaseCamp kit in stainless steel. 

I also have a nice size cast iron Dutch Oven. 

Last buy not least, I opted for a portable propane BBQ as well; a Napoleon TravelQ™ 2225.  With the adapter hose, I can use standard propane tanks (have 2 x 20lbs...that is LOTS with this BBQ).  Also have the stand made for it which is a 'must' for me for home/car camping use.

Between all that, they are all double-function in my mind;  home use, car camping, canoe camping and backpacking, whether strictly 'recreational' or because something went sideways and I "need" them. 
My wife thinks I just like to 'buy stuff'...I just like having 'options' and the ability to be mobile, for both recreation and 'SHTF potential'.

I like to look through the various kit lists for the Ultra-Lite hiking community, usually focused on those doing the Appalachian/Pacific Crest Trails, or other long distance hikes. 

I used to run Mountain Marathons in the UK, which involve long range orienteering through mountainous terrain over two days with an overnight camp in between. The gear back then looks pretty ancient compared to this new stuff. Nothing like heading out on a major, months long, expedition, fully equipped, with a 10lb pack. Top tips: cut all the straps off your ruck to save weight, only two squares of TP per day, and use a soft sided water bottle (80% lighter than the hard sided versions):

https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/blogs/ultralight/our-ultralight-appalachian-trail-thru-hike-gear-list

https://www.greenbelly.co/pages/ultralight-backpacking-gear

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/ultralight-backpacking.html

https://www.adventurealan.com/ultralight-backpacking-gear-list/

reverse_engineer said:
For any sort of signal booster to be of use, there needs to be a signal available in the first place. So not sure I'd count on that for a true emergency. Satellite phones could be of use depending what the emergency was, but again not something I would count on. Obviously applies to GPS as well.

I'm looking mostly into a radio-based solution. Something mobile, and perhaps capable of data in addition to voice.

Anybody tried one of these- they support text messaging through satellite https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5053-915/inReach-SE%2B

You do need a satellite plan, not sure what those cost but sounds expensive:

"Requires a separate satellite plan to activate."
"Canadian monthly plans are available, as well as seasonal hibernation options that allow you to pay a minimal fee during months when you are not using the device."

Take a look at "Iridium" plans online. They have monthly as well as prepaid options. Not cheap, but also not out of reach if someone has a bit of money and wants to spend it. It's pretty expensive when you consider what you actually get, though.

They might work in the early stages of an emergency, before everything breaks down so to speak. I have little faith that the birds/network will be serviceable/available in the case of war or prolonged societal breakdown. I'd rather control my own infrastructure. Definitely a tool worth having in the toolbox if $$$ permits, but I'd say there are more cost-effective & resilient options out there.

Anyways, some great links being posted in this thread...  :salute:

Back