• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SWAT team leaves assault rifle behind

Shilo Training area 1988(c).

Dark overcast night, troops from a Reserve Basic doing a night Nav Ex, approx half way through and just after my leg of the EX.

Instructor: "Pte Bloggins, we have to go back (1000m's) and try to take the EXACT way you came."

Me: "Ugh, yes Sgt, whats wrong, did I fail  ???)

Instructor: "No, we're looking for, something....errr someone lost their C1"

Me: "Roger"

So, heading out on my back bearing we procede to traverse the hills and dales of my last leg, all 1000m's worth.

We arrive back at my start point and begin to look around, I found the weapon right where it was left, the person in question sat down to take a break after that leg and when they got up didn't notice that huge weight lifted of their shoulder and carried on with the Nav Ex.

"Misplacing"/losing weapons probably happens more often than not (we, more than likely just don't here about it unless we are directly involved), we just have to take steps to ensure that it doesn't happen again, wether that be through more training or administrative action.

Cognitive-Dissonance said:
Wow, certainly a scary thought. I think this coupled with many other accounts (wrong addresses on no-knock warrants) make me very thankful that we have an organization like the RCMP (and ERT within it) that is held to a much greater, federal standard. For the most part, many SWAT teams in the United States are simply cowboys with little to no training given very high-speed low-drag gear. Gear is no replacement for training standards.

-C/D

Great! When was the last time you've worked with an US SWAT, HRT, etc? Never? How bout a Canadian ERT? HRT? RTU? etc? Never? Well why don't you sit there, switch yourself on to listening silence and stay that way awhile?

There are many ERT that are just as professional as the RCMP, and in order to arrive at the SWAT, ERT, HRT, RTU etc level you must have a proven record with the ability to make critical judgments, ability to react under high stress and other qualities. This is why most members in these specialized units have all had previous military background. Most in the US are ex SF, Rangers, SEALs etc. Same thing up here. Some members are ex CF, SAS, JTF, etc.

Someone with your track record, and background really should think twice before posting inflammatory and false remarks with regards to things that you have little to no clue about.

Never mind. You're no longer with us.

Back