• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tac Vest does not make the grade.

The new cadpat shirts will still hold 1 C7 mag in each chest pocket. It's a tight fit, but a fit nonetheless.

I know the IECS combat jacket/parka kept the mag seperators in the pocket, what about the ICE jacket?

The breast pockets are absolutely pointless when wearing the TV.  I can't even keep my smokes there any more.  A much better idea would be to remove them entirely and have pockets on your sleeves.  Might not look so nice, but 2 pockets on the forearms could hold two extra magazines in a very convinient place, and two shoulder/upper arm pockets could be used to also carry magazines or for the things we all tend to carry in the breast pockets.

im telling yah, for extra mags, get a droppouch attached to your leg, or legs.

Can't do too much about the TV now, all we can do is work with what we have and find ways to succeed. :cdn:

In fact, the combat shirt was designed to accomodate 6 C1A1 magazines, 2 in upper breast pockets, and 2 each in the lower cargo pocket(each magazine held in place with nylon gussets). Anyone who has actually USED those upper pockets for their intended purpose, particularly with ball ammo, generally never repeated the practise. I have not heard mentioned the lowly bandoleer as a cost effective, flexible way of increasing the soldiers readily available supply of ammo. Having done 2 BATUS serials with the Brits in the mid 80's(still with the C1A1) we dismounted with 5 mags per, and 2 or 3 bandoleers of 7.62, and we generally had enough to sustain us until we remounted.

48Highlander brings up a great point, if it hasn't been brought up before. Before the transition to cadpat, there should have been some studies on a completely new shirt/pant design, to reflect the realities of body armour and what not. We definetly need pockets on both the arms and the calves(for access to small items while sitting inside or driving a cramped vehicle, as seen in the air force air crew suit). While the bottom pockets on the cbt shirt are still somewhat useful ( I can still get at them, with a little  effort, with armour, plates, and TV), the breast pockets are next to useless.  The much maligned US army ACU seems to me a very sensible design

The switch to a suede boot is also a great idea, think of al the time we waste every day polishing boots..........

Britney Spears said:
48Highlander brings up a great point, if it hasn't been brought up before. Before the transition to cadpat, there should have been some studies on a completely new shirt/pant design, to reflect the realities of body armour and what not. We definetly need pockets on both the arms and the calves(for access to small items while sitting inside or driving a cramped vehicle, as seen in the air force air crew suit). While the bottom pockets on the cbt shirt are still somewhat useful ( I can still get at them, with a little   effort, with armour, plates, and TV), the breast pockets are next to useless.   The much maligned US army ACU seems to me a very sensible design

You took the words right outta my mouth.  Anything that is not designed for wear with armour is pretty much obsolete.

The switch to a suede boot is also a great idea, think of al the time we waste every day polishing boots..........

But, what would we have to get jacked on the parade square then?  ;)

jmackenzie_15 said:
im telling yah, for extra mags, get a droppouch attached to your leg, or legs.

Can't do too much about the TV now, all we can do is work with what we have and find ways to succeed. :cdn:

Trust me dropleg pouches with 2+ mags are NO FUN

The biggest obstacle with the TV is ourselves - No less than 6 units submitted UCR's from Afgfhanistan.  The trick is to come up with a viable replacment or suplement.

48Highlander said:
The breast pockets are absolutely pointless when wearing the TV.   I can't even keep my smokes there any more.   A much better idea would be to remove them entirely and have pockets on your sleeves.   Might not look so nice, but 2 pockets on the forearms could hold two extra magazines in a very convinient place, and two shoulder/upper arm pockets could be used to also carry magazines or for the things we all tend to carry in the breast pockets.

Why remove the chest pockets? Why not keep them *and* add arm pockets? You can never have too many pockets. I know. I keep running out of room in my pockets, despite a veritable bat belt.

Just a Sig Op said:
Why remove the chest pockets? Why not keep them *and* add arm pockets? You can never have too many pockets. I know. I keep running out of room in my pockets, despite a veritable bat belt.

Oh you get the idea.  The main point is that we need pockets which can be accessed while wearing armour/TV.

Just a Sig Op said:
Why remove the chest pockets?

I think that is the better option as we there are still uses for having breast pockets...especially when not wearing body armour.  I remember I had one of my old combat shirts configured like that for field use.  I don't know about putting mags there, but I've never tried it so I ain't gonna knock it.  I think it is better used for your pen and paper and your compass as I was always fishing paper out of my pants pockets overseas, instead of trying to dig my FMP out of my vest.

So what about the KFS, where are you guys putting it?

Yes I always have food on my mind.....:)

It does not hurt to have the breast pockets fit a mag and it would be simple and cost effective.

So what about the KFS, where are you guys putting it?

Far away from the food, with the canteen cup. In my closet.

Sorry, can't help you there, I've never used the KFS for anything, much less take it t the field with me, guess I haven't been in long enough. I really wouldn't recommend using it or the canteen cup with food, as the previous keener who had it probably polished it with CLP and Silvo on his JLC course, not that I know of anyone who would do such a thing......

MJP said:
I think that is the better option as we there are still uses for having breast pockets...especially when not wearing body armour.  I remember I had one of my old combat shirts configured like that for field use.  I don't know about putting mags there, but I've never tried it so I ain't gonna knock it.  I think it is better used for your pen and paper and your compass as I was always fishing paper out of my pants pockets overseas, instead of trying to dig my FMP out of my vest.

If you can get your hands on them, the little MP notepads are excellent, same size as the chest pads. Generally in day to day sort of garrison things, I have that and a pen in my chest pocket. I seldom carry my FMP any more, unless I expect to be doing a great deal of writing, as the FMP pads are far easier to replace.

I just use one of those MEC plastics spoons with some para-cord to latch it to a pocket-button.  It's not as if any of the "food" you eat in the Army is solid-state and requires a fork and knife....

If you can get your hands on them, the little MP notepads are excellent, same size as the chest pads. Generally in day to day sort of garrison things, I have that and a pen in my chest pocket. I seldom carry my FMP any more, unless I expect to be doing a great deal of writing, as the FMP pads are far easier to replace.

The MP notepad is the day to day notepad I use.  I use to cut down a FMP with a band saw to get one that fits, but since they switch to that crappy spiral at the top I've been using the MP pad.  I alway carry my FMP/FMP carrier with me as it has all my aide-memoirs, reports & returns as well as orders formats in it.  Writing orders or taking orders with a notepad just plain sucks with my terrible writing I fill up a page pretty quickly.

As for the KFS, I don't think most people put in in their tacvest as there is little to no room to fit things in there after ammo and water anyway.  I do the same as Infanteer and just use a MRE or MEC spoon.  Some I suspect put it in their plate bag...... ;)

Just a Sig Op said:

Canadian Peacekeeper makes a nifty half-sized FMP cover and FMP pads that fit perfectly in the breast pocket; I rather like mine.

i saw a guy do this.
Ripped the pockets off his chest and sewed them on to his arms.    

Seemed like a good idea, i think he took a little flak over it. He wasn't very subtle about his modification.

Michael Dorosh said:
Canadian Peacekeeper makes a nifty half-sized FMP cover and FMP pads that fit perfectly in the breast pocket; I rather like mine.

Yeah, but that costs money ;)

Infanteer said:
You took the words right outta my mouth.   Anything that is not designed for wear with armour is pretty much obsolete.

I would have to disagree Infanteer.   I can think of numerous instances where I would not be wearing body armour.   It is a risk assessment.   In some cases a flak vest and plates are more of a force protection hazard than a benefit.

Many (most?) would agree with you though and would insist that a flak jacket be worn at all times.   I believe this is a decision best left to the commander on the ground.

Back