• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Team sports in infantry battalions

ken.w2402

Inactive
Reaction score
As I see my buddies in DP 1.2 graduate this week, discussions have started to revolve around life in battalion. Many of my colleagues are avid hockey players and seem to suggest that hockey tournaments carry far more weight than I had previously imagined, at least it's the case at the R22eR.

Well, I happen to be close to useless in hockey (and in many other competitive team sports for that matter), having focused all my life on track & field and resistance training. Could this become a major problem down the road?

ken.w2402 said:
As I see my buddies in DP 1.2 graduate this week, discussions have started to revolve around life in battalion. Many of my colleagues are avid hockey players and seem to suggest that hockey tournaments carry far more weight than I had previously imagined, at least it's the case at the R22eR.

Well, I happen to be close to useless in hockey (and in many other competitive team sports for that matter), having focused all my life on track & field and resistance training. Could this become a major problem down the road?

Why would you think this to be a problem?  A Battalion is a fair size, so your looking at 18-21 hockey players?  Then their is all the other "seasonal" inter-unit sports other than hockey.

Not quite sure what your question is.

DAA said:
Why would you think this to be a problem?  A Battalion is a fair size, so your looking at 18-21 hockey players?  Then their is all the other "seasonal" inter-unit sports other than hockey.

Not quite sure what your question is.

He basically just stating he wants to do track because he's not good at team games and if that is a problem. There are Marathon runners in the forces, swimmers in the forces and almost any sport you can do in the forces. Google Canadian forces and sports/track.

Cbbmtt said:
He basically just stating he wants to do track because he's not good at team games and if that is a problem. There are Marathon runners in the forces, swimmers in the forces and almost any sport you can do in the forces. Google Canadian forces and sports/track.

Or, perhaps his question/concern is that hockey is a way of networking (think golf in stereotypical corporate culture) that he wouldn't be able to tap into if he doesn't play? 

Yeah Dimsum, basically I was wondering how big of a deal is it for a platoon commander to not play hockey? How would soldiers and fellow officers see this, etc.

Thanks

Nobody care if you play sports or not.  They care more about how you lead them.

ken.w2402 said:
Yeah Dimsum, basically I was wondering how big of a deal is it for a platoon commander to not play hockey? How would soldiers and fellow officers see this, etc.

Thanks

I have a bit of time in Infantry Battalions, and I am not a hockey player.

I do play other team sports, but again, not important.

Bottom line - no issue at all.  We are about soldiers who occasionally play sports, not athletes who occasionally soldier.

dangerboy said:
Nobody care if you play sports or not.  They care more about how you lead them.

Exactly.  Some Battalions make a big deal about playing hockey or other sports but ultimately you'll be noted for what kind of a leader you are as opposed to how many goals you scored playing "X".  It was pretty entertaining to hear during my own DP 1.2 that hockey was supposedly a big deal - only to arrive at Battalion and realize it really made no difference.  There are plenty of ways to demonstrate your abilities, though it will most likely be reflected in the staff work you produce and the manner in which you will lead your platoon.

If you are a long distance runner, take a peek at Ironman/Mountain Man competitions - which Battalion are you headed to?

Back