• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Temporary Duty ( TD ) merged

You should read this directive for all your travel, as a CAF member. 

Canadian Forces Temporary Duty Travel Instructions

Chapter 7 - Travel in Canada and Continental USA and Overnight Stay

Section3 - Transportation Benefits

Section 1 - Application
5.01  Application

Subject to Chapter 3 (Application of CFTDTI), this Chapter applies to a member who is:

A) On TD at a temporary workplace that is inside the member’s place of duty; or
    B) ordered by an approving authority to work - or to be immediately available for work - during irregular hours inside the member’s place of duty.

Section 3 - Transportation benefits
5.20  General

(No Entitlement) There is no entitlement for a member to be reimbursed any expenses for travel:
        to and from their permanent workplace on a daily basis; and
        in respect of a mess dinner, mixed dining-in, or other similar event.
    (Selection) An approving authority selects a member’s mode - or combination of modes - of transportation on duty travel after consideration of all of the following:
        the relative cost and efficiency of available modes of transportation during the duty travel;
        the conditions of road transportation and all other modes of transportation - in the duty travel area;
        forecasted weather conditions during the duty travel;
        the preferred transportation for short, local trips is by bus, taxi, shuttle, and other local transportation services;
        the CF’s operational needs;
        an intermediate sedan is the standard rental vehicle across government;
        the member’s safety and convenience;
        the member’s safety and convenience;
        any other factor that is immediately relevant to the duty travel requirement.
    (Home Outside Place of Duty) In this Section, for the purposes of calculating a direct road distance from a member’s home, a home that is located outside the member’s place of duty is deemed to be located at the nearest point to the member’s home on the geographical boundary of that place of duty.

Dileas

Tess

Here's the latest update to TD policy that I got the other day.  Have a good read, there are some innovative cost saving measures in there!

NS

Attachments

• New_TD_Travel_Policy.pdf
    978.2 KB · Views: 87
He's travelling 800 km, so it's safe to say he's travelling outside his normal place of duty, so Chapter 7 applies. 

It looks like 7.40 and 7.41 are in play - and I do see some rules that kick in for Class A reservists.

However, this is how I'd play it.  If you're not going to use POMV, how are they going to get you there?  If it turns out that using your own car is the most economical and practical method, then they ought to be offering to request you to use your POMV at high rate, and along with it provide you with adequate duty travel time to do it.  If there's a more economical and practical method of travel, then you're stuck with the limitations in 7.41.

I think.  ;D

PuckChaser said:
Annex A, POMV Travel Waiver: http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-benefits/temp-duty-travel-instructions.page

Been done many, many times before. You're just eligible for cost comparison for most economical means to get you there (usually a plane ticket) and they should be doing a cost comparison sheet to show you all the costs involved.

Note quite. Class-A reservists get kind of screwed in this regard. Chapter 7 of the CFTDTIs states:

7.40 — PMV — DRIVER - (2) (Member Requests To Use PMV) Subject to paragraph 7.20(2) (Selection), a member — including a member of the Reserve Force on Class “A” Reserve Service — who requests to use a PMV rather than a more economical and practical mode of transportation selected by the approving authority and who uses that PMV on duty travel is entitled to be reimbursed — for only the first day of travel to the destination...

and

7.41 — PMV — DRIVER — ADMINISTRATION - (5) (Paid Leave) A member who requests to use a PMV — rather than the more economical and practical mode of transportation selected by the approving authority — and who uses that PMV on duty travel shall take one day’s paid leave, after the first day, for every 500 kilometres travelled.

Finally,

(6) (Paid Leave) If a member — who requests to use a PMV — has insufficient paid leave remaining for any travel in excess of the more economical and practical mode of transportation selected by the approving authority , then the member shall not be authorized to use their PMV as requested.

So, they will only reimburse the first day of travel. If he lives 800km away, he needs 2 days of travel time, and the first day of travel will be his allotted travel day. This forces the member to require leave (of some sort) for the second day of travel (or third, as the situation dictates), since the second day of travel is now inside his contract dates.

If the reference had said "the member is entitled to only 1 day of duty travel", that would be fine. The member can sign waiver, get noreimbursement for the first day of travel, and get paid for the second day of travel. But this is not the case.

What we've seen in the Naval Reserve is that, those going on tasking can get permission to take their annual leave prior to departure, and therefore can take POMV, but it's up to the employing unit whether they are willing to grant them annual leave prior to the beginning of the tasking. On the other hand, those going on courses never get it, because the schools <coughBordencough> are super stingy.

Lumber said:

Note quite. Class-A reservists get kind of screwed in this regard.
Any idea if that collection of regs has any intent, in relation to Class A pers, or if it's just an oversight, written solely with full or "full" time pers in mind?

SupersonicMax said:
He could ask his CO for a short day.  This is paid leave!

Class A reservists can't get short leave.

Class B reservists can, but there's a bit of a catch-22, in that the member isn't on Class B service until the start of the tasking/course, but needs to travel prior to the start of the tasking/course.

I remember a few years ago when there was a crackdown on rental cars -- it appears that this has now spread to a crackdown on POMV. Which may not be sustainable. I like a good walk as much as the next guy, but some of our bases aren't exactly laid out for pedestrian access.

ooh the wonderful PMV again.  maybe this will help, from DCBA in 2013.  Some points to note that is not there but I have learned through attending briefing sessions in Ottawa that included DCBA, VAC and TB along with follow on briefings at Bdes and Divs.

Even though a class a mbr can be approved PMV for TD 650 kms or less away it does not mean they travel it in one day without risk.  The concept is they would travel up to the 500kms, stop for the night and then complete the trip the next day as you can travel 150kms and still perform a full days work.  If the mbr decides to exceed the 500kms they take on a risk if an accident does happen in which they are injured may not be covered by VAC as they do not consider them on duty at that point.

Spec Lve (Reloc) can not be used for travel, it is for prior to travel.

Big note:  Travelling via PMV without authority - "not be entitled to any duty travel benefits under the CFTDTIs" means exactly that - you get nothing.  No mileage, meals or accms enroute, incidentals and no entitlement to R&Q while there unless local mbrs are ordered into quarters because you have just made yourself a local mbr.

For the concept of "tell them you will be somewhere else closer". Had that scenario and wish I could find the email but the basic answer we received when it was sent up was to book the mbr CA as authorizing the PMV from another location was viewed as an attempt to circumvent the regulations and grant the mbr an unofficial travel day.  How about the return - pure coincidence that mbr happened to have business to stop over for on the return leg too?

Action dist:
Refs:  A.  CFTDTI
B.  CF Leave Policy Manual
C.  DCBA 3-3 email, dated 12 Jun 13

Further to ref C (email below); DCBA and DPPD staff have carefully reviewed refs A and B, and earlier legal advise (notal) to DCBA.  First and foremost, the Reserve "period of service" (POS) message/tasking must include the member’s employment period (Temporary Duty (TD) period), leave (entitlement is for 30 continuous days (POS) or more) and duty travel day(s).  Essentially, when looking at pertinent policy and associated benefits, there are two scenarios; as follows: 

Scenario 1:  Distance to new employment location is 650 km or less.  IAW Ref A, the approving authority should select a mode of transportation (MOT) to the employment opportunity location which would normally take one duty travel day. Pursuant to art 7.40(2) of ref A, the member can request to use PMV and be reimbursed for travel expenses. 

Scenario 2:  Distance to new employment location is greater than 650 km.  If the course starts on a Monday, the approving authority cannot "approve" a request by the member to select PMV as the preferred method of travel.  Reference A does not permit an approving authority to create additional benefits, and IAW reference B, members are not permitted to utilize annual leave on a weekend. (unless shiftworkers - and there would be no application in this instance).  With this scenario, because the official duty travel day would be moved to Saturday and the additional travel day required would be Sunday, this would create an extra paid day for these members which is not allowed under the construct of the Treasury Board approved CFTDTI.  Hence, if the member opts to take their PMV in this instance, they would not be entitled to any duty travel benefits under the CFTDTIs.

It should be noted, however, that if the Training Establishment builds into the mbr's POS annual leave entitlements prior to the start of the course, the member may be entitled to request to use their PMV; provided the course start date allows for additional travel days during the work week.  In this instance, the mbr would be entitled to use annual leave entitlements earned during the POS.  E.g.  2 day trip, 1150 km or less, and course starting mid-week (Wed). The 'official" duty travel day would be the Mon, and the mbr would be on annual leave on the Tue.  The POS msg/instruction should reflect the member utilizing annual leave entitlements prior to the start of the employment opportunity/TD.  In these instances, CFTDTI benefits will be paid to the member for one day only, pursuant to art 7.40(2) of CFTDTI.
----
Special Leave (Relocation) for Reservists proceeding to the new employment location:  Reservists proceeding to the new employment location on att posting, course (TD) or on taskings, pursuant to Ref B, the approving authority may approve "Special Leave (Relocation)" which must be taken prior to the member's first duty travel day and/or after the last duty travel day (at location of the member's Reserve unit).  Additionally, these days "shall not be reckoned against weekend days or statutory holidays", as stipulated at ref B para 5.11.02.  If "Special Leave (Relocation)" is approved by the unit approving authority, then the member would start the Class “B" reserve service effective that date.  Units are cautioned that the option of using "Special Leave (Relocation)" has a direct cost associated with it; given the member of the Reserve Force’s POS would need to be extended for the extra day(s).  If this type of leave is granted, it is imperative that the pertinent POS msg/instruction be amended to account for the extra day(s).

CountDC said:
ooh the wonderful PMV again.  maybe this will help, from DCBA in 2013.  Some points to note that is not there but I have learned through attending briefing sessions in Ottawa that included DCBA, VAC and TB along with follow on briefings at Bdes and Divs.

I've probably spent more time discussing, debating, and reading policy and references ad nauseam regarding Travel policy than anything else in the 2 years I've been Adj.

CountDC said:
Even though a class a mbr can be approved PMV for TD 650 kms or less away it does not mean they travel it in one day without risk.  The concept is they would travel up to the 500kms, stop for the night and then complete the trip the next day as you can travel 150kms and still perform a full days work.  If the mbr decides to exceed the 500kms they take on a risk if an accident does happen in which they are injured may not be covered by VAC as they do not consider them on duty at that point.

Agreed. This is why the cost comparison work sheet only allows a maximum of 1000km (500km each way) for PMV, vice 1300 km.

CountDC said:
Big note:  Travelling via PMV without authority - "not be entitled to any duty travel benefits under the CFTDTIs" means exactly that - you get nothing.  No mileage, meals or accms enroute, incidentals and no entitlement to R&Q while there unless local mbrs are ordered into quarters because you have just made yourself a local mbr.

But what about pay? What if a member's travel day is Monday the 1st of May, and they tell us "don't book me a flight, I'm driving, and I know I don't have enough time, I'm going to leave on Sunday and waive all my CFTDTI benefits". Pay isn't a CFTDTI benefit. Do they lose out on pay as well? Further, incidentals IS a CFTDTI benefit. They'll be getting to their new location, say Borden, and staying in shacks, so they should get incidentals. But they lost their travel benefits for that day? Does that include incidentals? The staying in shacks has nothing to do with their actual "travel".

CountDC said:
For the concept of "tell them you will be somewhere else closer". Had that scenario and wish I could find the email but the basic answer we received when it was sent up was to book the mbr CA as authorizing the PMV from another location was viewed as an attempt to circumvent the regulations and grant the mbr an unofficial travel day.  How about the return - pure coincidence that mbr happened to have business to stop over for on the return leg too?

Hey, I don't ask Class-A members what they do in their personal lives or with their civilian occupations. If they tell me "due to personal/civilian occupation commitments, I will be in location X on the morning of the travel day", I will make arrangements for them to travel to their TD location (assuming it's closer and cheaper) from location X.

CountDC said:
Special Leave (Relocation) for Reservists proceeding to the new employment location:  Reservists proceeding to the new employment location on att posting, course (TD) or on taskings, pursuant to Ref B, the approving authority may approve "Special Leave (Relocation)" which must be taken prior to the member's first duty travel day and/or after the last duty travel day (at location of the member's Reserve unit).  Additionally, these days "shall not be reckoned against weekend days or statutory holidays", as stipulated at ref B para 5.11.02.  If "Special Leave (Relocation)" is approved by the unit approving authority, then the member would start the Class “B" reserve service effective that date.  Units are cautioned that the option of using "Special Leave (Relocation)" has a direct cost associated with it; given the member of the Reserve Force’s POS would need to be extended for the extra day(s).  If this type of leave is granted, it is imperative that the pertinent POS msg/instruction be amended to account for the extra day(s).

Highlighted bit: do "Route Letters" count as "pertinent POS msg/instruction"? Because, the reference I have says just to amend the Route Letter, nothing more. The actual message remains unchanged.

Lumber said:
I've probably spent more time discussing, debating, and reading policy and references ad nauseam regarding Travel policy than anything else in the 2 years I've been Adj.
32 years for me and it never gets better.

Lumber said:
But what about pay? What if a member's travel day is Monday the 1st of May, and they tell us "don't book me a flight, I'm driving, and I know I don't have enough time, I'm going to leave on Sunday and waive all my CFTDTI benefits". Pay isn't a CFTDTI benefit. Do they lose out on pay as well? Further, incidentals IS a CFTDTI benefit. They'll be getting to their new location, say Borden, and staying in shacks, so they should get incidentals. But they lost their travel benefits for that day? Does that include incidentals? The staying in shacks has nothing to do with their actual "travel".
Pay they would get for the dates they are on Task/Course not for travel days as they are not entitled to one if travel has not been authorized.  They are not entitled to incidentals or staying in the shack either unless the JI's specify local members are ordered to stay in quarters.  Remember by driving there on their own without any authority they have now made themselves a local member.

Lumber said:
Hey, I don't ask Class-A members what they do in their personal lives or with their civilian occupations. If they tell me "due to personal/civilian occupation commitments, I will be in location X on the morning of the travel day", I will make arrangements for them to travel to their TD location (assuming it's closer and cheaper) from location X.
That is a choice you are making but maybe you should look a bit closer if you are authorizing things.  Travel is not one way so both ways have to be accounted for and meet the distance requirements.  No harm in asking what the commitment is to ascertain what travel arrangements are needed and valid.  I have had mbr attending a wedding prior to course so CA was the travel arrangement. There was no wedding in the same place on his trip home from the course and it exceeded the 650kms. Of course we flew him from the wedding location.

Lumber said:
Highlighted bit: do "Route Letters" count as "pertinent POS msg/instruction"? Because, the reference I have says just to amend the Route Letter, nothing more. The actual message remains unchanged.
No they don't and yes in the old days route letters were amended just about on any basis but that was the old day.  Now you have to let everyone know so amended correspondence (msg, CFTPO, emails) can be generated and attached to the amended route letter as supporting documentation.

I'm still hoping that they will change the policy so I can authorize travel again but ........

CountDC said:
Pay they would get for the dates they are on Task/Course not for travel days as they are not entitled to one if travel has not been authorized.  They are not entitled to incidentals or staying in the shack either unless the JI's specify local members are ordered to stay in quarters.  Remember by driving there on their own without any authority they have now made themselves a local member.

Really? So if a member waives there travel day, lets us know in advance so we don't book a flight, drives to his training course where he will be staying in shacks for 2 months, he won't get any incidentals for the entire period because he's essentially forfeited his status of being on "TD"?

Doesn't seem right, I've had members drive to course and still get full TD....

NFLD Sapper said:
Doesn't seem right, I've had members drive to course and still get full TD....

But were they approved to drive POMV? Or maybe did they do a cost comparison?

The example we're talking about is when a member flat out refused to use the accepted method of travel, nor completed a cost comparison for POMV travel.

Why can't it be as simple as "it would cost X to fly you there and back. You can drive but you'll be reimbursed up to X.  You can take Y days (500 km per day)." Authorized by CO and off you go.  Nobody spent a dime more than should have been spent on the "most economical (and practical, that bit seems to be forgotten sometimes) mean".

No I idea, I know that I did for PLQ don't remember getting a cost comparison though....

I'm going to add a twist on thing.

Reserve "Period of Service" (POS) are supposed to include travel, employment, and leave. However, the reality is that they do not. Ever since we started modularizing training, especially in the reserves, our HQs have been unable to build these into a member' POS, because it's just to difficult for them to coordinate. From the same unit, you could have 12 ppl attending Mods 1 and 2, 7 of those will stay on for Mod 3, and of those only 2 will stay on for Mod 4. Instead of building travel, leave and employment, the official messages include ONLY the employment period. The way that members get paid for travel and leave (including Special Relocation) is simply by making sure that the route letter incorporates these dates. The loading messages literally say:

A. ROUTE LETTER TO INCLUDE LVE/TRAVEL ENTITLEMENT B. IAW REF, EFF 1 FEB 14 NRD CO HAS THE DISCRETIONAL AUTHORITY TO GRANT SPECIAL LEAVE (RELOCATION) TO THE MOS QUALIFIED PERS EMPLOYED FOR MORE THAN 30 CONSECUTIVE DAYS AWAY FROM THEIR HOME UNIT. NRD CO HAS THE AUTHORITY TO AMEND THE ROUTE LETTER (CF 899) IF SPECIAL LEAVE (RELOCATION) IS GRANTED BEFORE AND AFTER THE COURSE

There is no expectation that once we've developed a travel/leave plan that we will request an amended tasking message.

So, if the issued message has a reserve POS that does not include leave and travel, then it is up to us to build it for them. In regards to this, I know the following to be true:

1. That leave can be taken before it is earned;
2. That leave cannot be taken during a course, unless specifically built into the schedule (which, in most cases, it is NOT);
3. That There is no rule that you can't take leave before a course/tasking (see number 1);
4. That Annual Leave can't be taken on a weekend; and
5. That you can travel on a weekend (most of our taskings involve travelling on a weekend).

So, given these things, could we not build a POS that includes annual leave both at the begging and the end of the course, and then allow the member to take POMV?

I'll give an example. Member has been loaded on 3 consecutive MODs of a trades course. The official messages only list the actual dates of the courses, which all start on Mondays and end on Fridays. His courses total 2.5 months in length, so he will earn 5 days of annual leave. The distance to the trg school is 1100km, so he would need 2 days to drive by POMV. So, since we are building his overall POS, we build a travel/leave plan whereby he takes 1 day of Annual leave on the Friday before his courses starts, and the remaining 4 on the Monday-Thursday immediately following his course. His official travel days become the Thursday before his course (with the second travel day being Friday, the annual day).

Wouldn't this work?

Edit: What been happening lately, and I'm not sure it's correct or not, so if you have a reference to explain please provide, but when a member is removed from course, they are being employed Class-B at there home unit for as long as they would have been had they been on course. This has been done for those who were removed from course medically, as well as for academic failure. I really would have thought that if you failed academics and were RTU'd, that you'd lose the rest of your contract. We queried the member's Career Manager, and they said nope, employ him at your unit until the end of his POS.

The reason this is important is that, in my example above, he's guaranteed to earn the leave he needs to drive back, since he will get employment for 2.5 months whether he is successful or not.

Again, I think there is something wrong with this, but I could not find a reference one way or the other, and his Career Manager said to employ him at the unit.

I have NEVER received a straight answer on this one. Ever. Including from a Navy Comptroller (as in, the Navy Comptroller). On my 2017 posting Brookfield went out of their way to make sure I understood that insurance on rental cars would not be paid. It was my responsibility to be insured myself and they would not honour any insurance charges. WTF??  I've been at units where it was covered and units where it was not. The posted link, above, seems pretty clear. But application of it is allllllllll over the map.

MJP said:
CAF TD Instruction  http://www.forces.gc.ca/assets/FORCES_Internet/docs/en/caf-community-benefits/cftdti-ifcvst.pdf

(4) (Rental Vehicles — IDTC Policies) Before
using an IDTC to rent a vehicle on duty travel, a
member shall review ADM (Fin CS) policies and
procedures in respect of IDTC vehicle insurance.

(5) (Rental Vehicles — Private Insurance) A
member who is authorized to rent a vehicle on duty
travel should always review their private insurance
coverage with their private insurer before renting
the vehicle.

(6) (Rental Vehicles — Collision damage waiver
(CDW)) A member who is authorized to rent a
vehicle on duty travel and:

(a) who uses an IDTC to rent the vehicle shall
not purchase CDW (because the IDTC
provides CDW coverage); and

(b) who does not use an IDTC to rent the
vehicle shall purchase CDW

(7) (Rental Vehicles — Public Liability and
Property Damage (PL/PD)) A member who is
authorized to rent a vehicle on duty travel and

(a) who rents the vehicle from a rental agency
that is listed in the PWGSC
and Car Rental Directory as amended from
time to time, shall not purchase PL/PD
(because the listing includes PL/PD); and

(b) who rents the vehicle from a non-listed
rental agency shall purchase PL/PD.

What is an IDTC?

So if I read all of that correctly, all of us that don't have/use one of those things, like myself who just finished my HHT and paid for the rental with my Visa and will be reimbursed for it, are supposed to (not optional) purchase the CDW they offer (which would be reimbursed since we are clearly being ordered to do so).

And CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) = the extra insurance that they always ask you if you want to purchase?

And a sidebar... but is an HHT considered "Temporary Duty?"

Back