• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Decline of the Liberal Party- Swerved Into a Confederation Topic

I generally agree with your sentiment that life is what you make it.

But I can also recognize that anyone starting out with a grade 10 these days will probably never achieve what you did. That includes if they go to college later in life.

Also we can't look at the situation today without looking to past and what brought us here. I just wish we would look back on the mistakes, recognize them and take action right the ship.

Alas people want quick fixes. Not long term long gain fixes.
Grade 10, late 60's early 70's probably equates to Gr 12 or 13 today. That point is moot. I also went to Technical School and learned a basic knowledge of many trades at the time. Enough to be hired in any of them. Instead of complaing about the shitty stick we left. Get to work on the governments to quit shoving University in everyone's face. If all those whiners had a trade, they wouldn't need social programs. Open trade schools for high schools and get to work. It is a rare bird, that ends up living their dream job. Most have to take what they can get. Nothing wrong in having a grounding in the trade. You'll make more money than many, most, university graduates. But physical work is hard, so it won't likely happen.
We can look back and make improvements. That's what drives civilization, but you don't see Boomers blaming the Greatest Generation for the war.

You want dialogue? Quit looking for someone to blame and spend your frustration on solutions. So far, for all their complaining about Boomers fucking up their lives, I haven't heard the Millenials offer a single solution to fix it yet. Just complain, and they haven't offered a real problem. 'Social programs' cover an awful lot of territory and they've not identified one single program that irks them. Just pages of blame.

You Boomers ruined everything.
What did we ruin? What have you done about it and what solution do you expect? How do we get there?

If you can't articulate that, shut this topic down. Millennials might feel some sort of catharsis blaming Boomers for it all, but it really is shit because you are accomplishing nothing, just playing the blame game. Like children complaining it's not fair, but can't say why.

I enjoy my one year old pickup. It pulls a 20 ft Cargo trailer, that I live in when running around on my UTV. I spent a couple of grand in gas this year travelling. I own my house outright. I also own my wife's car. I have a collection of 'tools' worth about $80 grand. I'm not going further. I'm not trying to rub noses. My point is, if you want it, work for it. The only people I owe money to, is the government, once a year. Nothing was ever given to me except hard lessons and disappointment. I pulled myself out. Nobody else did it for me. I was never afforded any social programs, except one year when when I used EI for a few weeks. I was never afforded opportunity by the government except to be allowed to join our military. I have grade10. I had to go to work. I went to College, 20 years ago, which I paid for, to become a general machinist, as a hobby. I worked for 50 years. I'm entitled to anything I want to pay for without paying for stangers to have what I have. But they want to use my money to reach parity. So please excuse me if your having a hard time, but trying to blame me for your self described social problems and missing opportunities is bullshit. Full stop. I doubt you'll reach where I am, by doing it the way I did. However, I'd have to think if you fail, it your own fault. That's a big part of the problem today. Nobody will take responsibility for their actions and when they screw the pooch, they want us to pay for it.
You've had seven years of your government. Plenty of time to of had your grievances heard. You failed to do that.

Only you are responsible for your position in life.

This is your fault, not the Boomers.
Sir this is Tim Hortons.

Well, real simply then. If the Millennials don't take responsibility for their own lazy attitude in not getting things changed. Boomers aren't responsible either. Your criteria, not mine

The millenials are playing the hand their dealt. Wanna know who dealt that hand ? I don't think you'll like the answer.

I'm a Gen X'er so I get the ability to laugh at both the Boomers and the Millenials.

Grade 10, late 60's early 70's probably equates to Gr 12 or 13 today. That point is moot. I also went to Technical School and learned a basic knowledge of many trades at the time. Enough to be hired in any of them. Instead of complaing about the shitty stick we left. Get to work on the governments to quit shoving University in everyone's face. If all those whiners had a trade, they wouldn't need social programs. Open trade schools for high schools and get to work. It is a rare bird, that ends up living their dream job. Most have to take what they can get. Nothing wrong in having a grounding in the trade. You'll make more money than many, most, university graduates. But physical work is hard, so it won't likely happen.
We can look back and make improvements. That's what drives civilization, but you don't see Boomers blaming the Greatest Generation for the war.

You want dialogue? Quit looking for someone to blame and spend your frustration on solutions. So far, for all their complaining about Boomers fucking up their lives, I haven't heard the Millenials offer a single solution to fix it yet. Just complain, and they haven't offered a real problem. 'Social programs' cover an awful lot of territory and they've not identified one single program that irks them. Just pages of blame.

You Boomers ruined everything.
What did we ruin? What have you done about it and what solution do you expect? How do we get there?

If you can't articulate that, shut this topic down. Millennials might feel some sort of catharsis blaming Boomers for it all, but it really is shit because you are accomplishing nothing, just playing the blame game. Like children complaining it's not fair, but can't say why.

Suck back and reload homie. No one is saying we should tar and feather Fishbone Jones for what his generation did.

Para 1: I'm generally in agreement with you. But it's the boomers who instilled the necessity higher education and down played the value of the trades. I remember my guardians doing just that. And thier disappointment when I left college to join the CAF.

The boomers created the social, economic, political and educational current playing field.

Para 2: The boomers can and should be blamed for the setting we are in, but they shouldn't be blamed for actions on, negative or positive, by follow on generations, no matter how much they had a hand in raising said follow on generations.

All I can say is I can empathize with people starting out now, they are being dealt a shitty deal. And I'm glad I am about 15 years ahead of them. And I also fear for my daughter's future.

Last Para: See above.

I'm coming somewhat in the middle of this conversation so no shade on anything said before but I just want to address a couple of things from this Boomer's point of view.
Para 1: I'm generally in agreement with you. But it's the boomers who instilled the necessity higher education and down played the value of the trades. I remember my guardians doing just that. And thier disappointment when I left college to join the CAF.
I'm a 1949 kid so right in the Boomer stream. I recall my high school years clearly. We started with Grades 9A to 9T and graduated a Grade 13A and 13B. That's a lot of dropouts along the way who went to work at things not requiring a university education. There was a ton of construction and a ton of manufacturing jobs available. The question was never can I get a job? but which of several jobs do I want?

There's no doubt that things changed subsequently. Over the years, attitudes turned to the value of higher education and "soft" jobs. Where I disagree is that this was somehow "instilled" by the Boomers.
The boomers created the social, economic, political and educational current playing field.
Societies change over time for many complex reasons. There is revolutionary change and there is gradual change. The only revolution the Boomers claim responsibility for is the sexual revolution. Everything else was a gradual change brought about by reaction to changing circumstances sometimes by outside factors, at other times because some good-idea fairy like JT's father (Not a Boomer - technically one of the Greatest Generation) came up with it. In fact if you take a close look, much of the change which started to snowball by the 80s was done under the management of the Greatest Generation.
Para 2: The boomers can and should be blamed for the setting we are in, but they shouldn't be blamed for actions on, negative or positive, by follow on generations, no matter how much they had a hand in raising said follow on generations.
I have trouble understanding what "setting we are in" is attributable to the "generation of the Boomers". Maybe it's the lawyer in me but for there to blame there needs to be factual causation (i.e. something that the "generation" did or allowed to happen which directly caused the complained of situation) as well as a measure of moral blameworthiness. It's not enough that we were merely around as adults when the paradigm shifted.
All I can say is I can empathize with people starting out now, they are being dealt a shitty deal. And I'm glad I am about 15 years ahead of them. And I also fear for my daughter's future.
Me too. I've got two grandkids in university. I've got a daughter with a Master's in a field that makes her overqualified for the jobs in her field. (Go figure) Like many Boomers, we're helping out our descendants to ensure that they can get the best education that they can so as to maximize their opportunities.

There are dozens of reasons why young folks are in the situation that they are in starting with heightened expectations that life will be easy and they get to start at the top (just a reminder that this Boomer's job as a RegF officer paid a whopping salary of $600.00 per month-which wasn't much even in 1970 dollars-and it wasn't until I got out twelve years later that my wife and I on our joint salaries could afford to buy a 1,000 sq ft bungalow) all the way to high domestic salaries that drove the bulk of our manufacturing jobs offshore leaving behind very little beyond the service sector.

In summary, I, as a Boomer, feel neither causal nor moral responsibility for the current state of the country.

Baby Boomers Internet GIF

I generally agree with your sentiment that life is what you make it.

But I can also recognize that anyone starting out with a grade 10 these days will probably never achieve what you did. That includes if they go to college later in life.

Also we can't look at the situation today without looking to past and what brought us here. I just wish we would look back on the mistakes, recognize them and take action right the ship.

Alas people want quick fixes. Not long term long gain fixes.
actually I believe that the best earning potential is with folks that have secondary education or less but have served a major apprenticeship. University is vastly overrated

I'm a Millennial, very close to GenX but still in the Millennial cohort.

I believe the vast majority of Millennials, Boomers, GenX Canadians, nowadays, are all mostly lazy and entitled. I don't even think it's an age thing, I think it's a Canadian Society thing.

This is now a Country where everyone wants a piece but nobody thinks they have to put in any elbow grease to get it.

There is no such thing as a free lunch, you gotta work at it, probably harder than anyone in the recent past has.

Generational divide in politics is one thing. Unfortunately that isn't the the main factors that affect the trends we are seeing. Otherwise they would have been doing great during the Harper years but they weren't.

Millennials are unable to accumulate wealth to the same degree that past generations have been able to. I posted a few reasons why. Boomers are also impeding home ownership due to certain trends as well.

All if this is well documented. And it isn't just Canada.
That's because Millenials don't know how to accumulate wealth. They don't understand cashflow, they live off credit and are in constant debt.

There are plenty of jobs out there that pay very good money. I work as a Switchman/Conductor right now for a Class 1 Railroad, the average Conductor at my terminal makes over $100,000.00 a year with the top earners making arouns $140,000.00. Locomotive Engineers (the direct promotion) make between $160,000.00 and $200,000.00 a year.

Want to know what the qualifications are to get in to the trade? High School GED and you show up to work when they call you and do your work safely and without complaint.

We actually can't hire anyone right now because nobody wants to do the work. Don't get me wrong, it's hard work, I just got called in and am going to work from midnight until probably 10am tomorrow morning in 0 degree temperatures and rain, but we are well compensated for it.

The only people we are actually able to hire seem to be immigrants. The average Canadian youth seems to think this type of work is beneath them.

There are plenty of jobs out there that pay very good money. I work as a Switchman/Conductor right now for a Class 1 Railroad, the average Conductor at my terminal makes over $100,000.00 a year with the top earners making arouns $140,000.00. Locomotive Engineers (the direct promotion) make between $160,000.00 and $200,000.00 a year.

It's a great job. Very happy for you. Dad was a VIA Rail locomotive engineer. So was his father, with CNR. They loved it.

The millenials are playing the hand their dealt. Wanna know who dealt that hand ? I don't think you'll like the answer.

I'm a Gen X'er so I get the ability to laugh at both the Boomers and the Millenials.

Suck back and reload homie. No one is saying we should tar and feather Fishbone Jones for what his generation did.

Last Para: See

Last edited:
Clearly some are upset. I posted three well documented changes that had an impact. You don’t have to like it or believe it and I frankly don’t really care but they are what they are.

Clearly some are upset. I posted three well documented changes that had an impact. You don’t have to like it or believe it and I frankly don’t really care but they are what they are.
I looked through upthread and couldn't find those. Not saying they aren't there; just that I didn't find them.

Link me back to them, please.

:unsure:

I'm a Millennial, very close to GenX but still in the Millennial cohort.

There are actually several cohorts within the millennial grouping. And to be honest I would probably classify them as almost three separate distinct groups but I digress.
I believe the vast majority of Millennials, Boomers, GenX Canadians, nowadays, are all mostly lazy and entitled. I don't even think it's an age thing, I think it's a Canadian Society thing.
Quite so. I’m not debating laziness or entitlement though.
This is now a Country where everyone wants a piece but nobody thinks they have to put in any elbow grease to get it.

There is no such thing as a free lunch, you gotta work at it, probably harder than anyone in the recent past has.

Exactly. It’s actually harder now than it was.
That's because Millenials don't know how to accumulate wealth. They don't understand cashflow, they live off credit and are in constant debt.
Again, this points to one of the issues I pointed out. Student debt is a big thing in this country. Why? Because as I peresented, the boomer gen shifted to increased accredited education for everything. Meaning more debt earlier in life and less productive working years earning wealth sooner.
Sure. But we went through and are still going through the mentality that university is the only gateway to success and we don’t promote those jobs enough. A product of an education system create by the previous generation.
Want to know what the qualifications are to get in to the trade? High School GED and you show up to work when they call you and do your work safely and without complaint.
Glad to hear that your sector offers what used to be the norm. OJT style system vs what we have developed over the decades in terms of over education and accreditation.
We actually can't hire anyone right now because nobody wants to do the work. Don't get me wrong, it's hard work, I just got called in and am going to work from midnight until probably 10am tomorrow morning in 0 degree temperatures and rain, but we are well compensated for it.
The problem is that salary no longer motivâtes like it once did.
The only people we are actually able to hire seem to be immigrants. The average Canadian youth seems to think this type of work is beneath them.
Again, it’s isn’t so much that (albeit I am sure it is for some). But goes to what motivates them.

I don’t understand millennials and I suspect I will keep struggling to understand them but what motivates them to get to where they will get is not the way you or I did it.

There are actually several cohorts within the millennial grouping. And to be honest I would probably classify them as almost three separate distinct groups but I digress.

Quite so. I’m not debating laziness or entitlement though.

Exactly. It’s actually harder now than it was.

Again, this points to one of the issues I pointed out. Student debt is a big thing in this country. Why? Because as I peresented, the boomer gen shifted to increased accredited education for everything. Meaning more debt earlier in life and less productive working years earning wealth sooner.

Sure. But we went through and are still going through the mentality that university is the only gateway to success and we don’t promote those jobs enough. A product of an education system create by the previous generation.

Glad to hear that your sector offers what used to be the norm. OJT style system vs what we have developed over the decades in terms of over education and accreditation.

The problem is that salary no longer motivâtes like it once did.

Again, it’s isn’t so much that (albeit I am sure it is for some). But goes to what motivates them.

I don’t understand millennials and I suspect I will keep struggling to understand them but what motivates them to get to where they will get is not the way you or I did it.

If it helps, it appears that generational labels are about as meaningful as astrological signs:

‘Gen Z’ Only Exists in Your Head​

The dividing lines between generations are a figment of our collective imagination.

Generational labels capture some of the basic fact that people who are born in different eras lead meaningfully different lives. But these labels are clumsy and imprecise—and getting more so all the time. They flatten out the experiences of tens of millions of very different people, remove nuance from conversations, and imply commonality where there may be none. The social scientists are right: Generational labels are stupid.

First of all, they are essentially made-up. Baby Boomers are the only currently living cohort defined by an actual demographic event—in this case, the postwar baby boom. As Cohen pointed out in his open letter, the rest have arbitrary parameters and lengths: The Silent Generation was born over a span of 18 years before the end of World War II; Millennials entered the world over a span of 16 years from 1981 to 1996. No official body certified these categories and verified the rationale behind them—they just eventually became accepted after getting repeated over and over.

In a sense, generational labels have gotten even less real in the past few decades. The average age at which Americans become parents has been rising, meaning that generations have technically been lengthening—and yet, Gen X, Millennials, and Gen Z span shorter lengths of time than Baby Boomers and the Silent Generation. Although this could reflect the sense that social and technological changes are happening more quickly than in the past, another possible explanation, Cohen thinks, is that as marketers and pundits have observed the profits and attention that come with labeling a generation, they scramble to be the first to do so.

Post in thread 'The Decline of the Liberal Party- Swerved Into a Confederation Topic'
The Decline of the Liberal Party- Swerved Into a Confederation Topic
Thanks for that.

... And it’s not Boomers per se but they policies that were enacted after inheriting a solid foundation from previous generations.

1) moving to increased educational accreditation. And raising that as well. We moved away from an OJT model workforce to one that requires more education than is really required. This makes us less productive and we lose potential early on.
I don't disagree that this happened. And I'm a strong advocate that we waste entirely too many resources "educating" people in useless "careers" that provide no net benefits for society as a whole. I don't blame the generation for this. I blame the higher education system for this as well as the "don't fail anyone" syndrome within the public education system. That is compounded by a young society that prefers to languish in school under the care of their parents rather than finding work they are capable of doing with the education that they already have.
2) Focusing on short term gains and consequences. Essentially they stopped long term planning. And unfortunately they’ve passed on that habit to subsequent generations.
Once again I agree with the result but not the source. My generation focused on long term goals and consequences which is evidenced by the fact that the Boomer Generation is one of the wealthiest and in large measure continues to support their adult offspring. I might go so far as to agree that perhaps we were too permissive with our offspring and supported them longer than we had to as youth rather than kicking them out to the curb and as a result the next few generations found life too easy and formed that as a habit.
3) reduced investment in businesses and increased investment in real estate specifically homes
And yet again we see things differently. Again I point at the wealth of the Boomers. See here e.g.
You can see that excluding home equity the wealth of Boomers doubles that of Millennials and with equity it is 9 times. You have to remember too that home equity is not only a form of investment but also a form of an economic multiplier in the funds invested in urban infrastructure creation (through lot development costs), building trades salaries and material for construction and municipal tax revenue. The fact that home equity has risen is immaterial to the fact that the money Boomers initially spent in acquiring the original cost base of their home equity at then fair market rates was an economic stimulator.

I can say categorically that I, like many of my peers, lived very frugal day-to-day lives in our early years while working at modest paying jobs and putting much of the paycheck aside collecting enough savings to invest in a down payment and at the same time rolling moneys into RRSPs (which coincidentally funded businesses and industry). I still live frugally in many ways. I don't use a cell phone. I have one for emergencies on a 7/11 plan that costs me roughly $25.00 a year. Most young folks run a $90.00 monthly bill or more for theirs. I use a dirt cheap internet home phone that piggybacks on my internet system.

The real issue is that many young people today do not wish to go through a period of living frugal lives but want the gratification of a McMansion and costly entertainment right now and have assumed vast quantities of debt to do so. Up until very recently, long periods of low interest loans fed that desire and also resulted in escalating home prices as supply fell short of demand. That's not a Boomer thing. When I bought my first home in 1981, interest rates were nearing 18-19% and I was damn happy to buy that small bungalow with an assumable 9.25% mortgage which lasted long enough until rates fell back to a manageable 10%. They basically had run in the 7-8% range before 1980 and dropped into the 5-7% range during the late 1980s and 1990s. A lot of the Millennial problem comes from the 2-3% rates after 2000 and other easy credit access which fuels lazy savings habits and facilitates over reaching.

So. Still don't feel any causal or moral blame for the current millennials' situation although I do feel sorry for the next generation coming up.

🍻

I think there is a commonality between what you said and why the CAF isn't getting the recruiting numbers.

Many (I won't say most) folks don't want to leave where their families, etc live. Those of us in the CAF obviously have moved so we know it's not a big deal, but for many people it is. I shrug off moving every 3-4 years and my family/civ friends are still surprised how I do it - having to rebuild friends networks, etc.

This extends to many folks not wanting to travel much for work either. Especially now, with remote work being "the thing", it will be even harder to convince some people to do a job like yours, despite the pay.

Thanks for that.

I don't disagree that this happened. And I'm a strong advocate that we waste entirely too many resources "educating" people in useless "careers" that provide no net benefits for society as a whole. I don't blame the generation for this. I blame the higher education system for this as well as the "don't fail anyone" syndrome within the public education system. That is compounded by a young society that prefers to languish in school under the care of their parents rather than finding work they are capable of doing with the education that they already have.

Once again I agree with the result but not the source. My generation focused on long term goals and consequences which is evidenced by the fact that the Boomer Generation is one of the wealthiest and in large measure continues to support their adult offspring. I might go so far as to agree that perhaps we were too permissive with our offspring and supported them longer than we had to as youth rather than kicking them out to the curb and as a result the next few generations found life too easy and formed that as a habit.
Unfortunately it’s not about how boomers planned individually for their own well-being long term. In that regard they are probably even better at it than any generation but they were given the tools and opportunity that others have not, no, what is meant by the second bullet is failure to plan long term from a societal perspective and what the political class decided to do.
And yet again we see things differently. Again I point at the wealth of the Boomers. See here e.g.

You can see that excluding home equity the wealth of Boomers doubles that of Millennials and with equity it is 9 times. You have to remember too that home equity is not only a form of investment but also a form of an economic multiplier in the funds invested in urban infrastructure creation (through lot development costs), building trades salaries and material for construction and municipal tax revenue. The fact that home equity has risen is immaterial to the fact that the money Boomers initially spent in acquiring the original cost base of their home equity at then fair market rates was an economic stimulator.

I can say categorically that I, like many of my peers, lived very frugal day-to-day lives in our early years while working at modest paying jobs and putting much of the paycheck aside collecting enough savings to invest in a down payment and at the same time rolling moneys into RRSPs (which coincidentally funded businesses and industry). I still live frugally in many ways. I don't use a cell phone. I have one for emergencies on a 7/11 plan that costs me roughly $25.00 a year. Most young folks run a $90.00 monthly bill or more for theirs. I use a dirt cheap internet home phone that piggybacks on my internet system.

The real issue is that many young people today do not wish to go through a period of living frugal lives but want the gratification of a McMansion and costly entertainment right now and have assumed vast quantities of debt to do so. Up until very recently, long periods of low interest loans fed that desire and also resulted in escalating home prices as supply fell short of demand. That's not a Boomer thing. When I bought my first home in 1981, interest rates were nearing 18-19% and I was damn happy to buy that small bungalow with an assumable 9.25% mortgage which lasted long enough until rates fell back to a manageable 10%. They basically had run in the 7-8% range before 1980 and dropped into the 5-7% range during the late 1980s and 1990s. A lot of the Millennial problem comes from the 2-3% rates after 2000 and other easy credit access which fuels lazy savings habits and facilitates over reaching.
All of this proves my point.

See here:

The fact is that it was easier to get into home ownership despite high interest rates of that time also shows that the boomers had several advantages in order to do so.

Also: NIMBY attitudes of Boomers has led to issues in real estate.

So. Still don't feel any causal or moral blame for the current millennials' situation although I do feel sorry for the next generation coming up.

🍻

And no one is expecting you or others to feel any moral blame. Causal blame and recognizing that maybe the way boomers ran things though is another issue. And yes of course it is hindsight. But there was little foresight. I am just stating facts that have led to where millennials are sitting. You did what you did and why not? Those were the rules or opportunities of the time.

But let’s not pretend that millennials were given the same opportunities that Boomers had.

More on some of what I mused about. Like I said it’s well documented. People don’t have to like it but it is what it is. And history is already judging and I suspect when the millennials finally take the lead they won’t be too kind in their assessment of the world that Boomers left them.

This article talks about how millennials never recovered from the Great Recession. We can argue what caused that…it also debunks a bit how millennials spend more than they earn.

Also plenty of literature on it.

The nerve of me to buy a home to raise my children in and then not want to sell it to someone younger when they're gone. Ice floe shortage rears it's ugly head again. My Dad pounded into me to buy land when you can cos god ain't making any more of it. I stupidly led a hand to mouth existence on a Cpl's pay with four kids and wife who refused to get a job and help out. Only after I retired could I get a real job, in 2003, that paid enough to afford a home, 25 KM from a grocery store and 80 KM from a decent sized population centre. By then I had four teenagers at home, one autistic, and no wife crammed into a 980 sq ft home. I told them I couldn't afford university and pushed the trades on them. Livin the boomer dream baby!

Back