• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The End of the Virtual Land of the Free

That is what's killing "big media". Disintermediated access directly to writers who live or die by either not writing partisan fluff, or managing to hold onto a large enough private audience that wants partisan fluff.

PBO says the Federal Government would see $7.2B of revenue over five years, from online service licensing fees.

So with Meta and Alphabet choosing to comply with Bill C-18, once it’s legislation comes into effect.

The mug’s game of the Government’s position is that only Meta and Google benefit financially from having news outlets listed with them, as though these services wouldn’t make ad money without the Canadian media outlets gracing them with such amazing content that keeps Meta and Google solvent. Classic big business demonization. People/entities, for example, who provide content on Google and it’s subsidiaries at a level that is monetizable, seem to do reasonably well…far better than it they tried to expand their presence and content through existence alone on the World Wide Web…

It will be interesting to see how long the Government’s self-delusional righteousness lasts, without an adjustment that all the other global players/states/nations made within their own digital legislative frameworks.

The mug’s game of the Government’s position is that only Meta and Google benefit financially from having news outlets listed with them, as though these services wouldn’t make ad money without the Canadian media outlets gracing them with such amazing content that keeps Meta and Google solvent. Classic big business demonization. People/entities, for example, who provide content on Google and it’s subsidiaries at a level that is monetizable, seem to do reasonably well…far better than it they tried to expand their presence and content through existence alone on the World Wide Web…

It will be interesting to see how long the Government’s self-delusional righteousness lasts, without an adjustment that all the other global players/states/nations made within their own digital legislative frameworks.

This still resonates, sadly....

"The current administration is so far out of touch I am not sure a measurement for the distance is available."

"The current administration is so far out of touch I am not sure a measurement for the distance is available."

Thoughts and prayers my friend....and don't forget that we are holier than those (sniff) Americans.....

Sarcasm intended

Exactly.

They will merely pass the tax along in costs, eventually finding there way into (out of?) the pockets of Canadians…
Google and Meta will just comply with the law. Don’t list news, therefore no tax to be paid.

Canada doesn’t realize how far across the digital red line of robbing Peter to pay for Paul’s social programs, that it has passed…

I'll take a callous stab at it.

We have a generation of young upcoming voters who are truly indoctrinated in these concepts and will willingly follow along - and eventually vote for the party that promises to make this their priority (even if logic tells us our efforts a re meaningless in the real world)

😟

Google and Meta will just comply with the law. Don’t list news, therefore no tax to be paid.

Canada doesn’t realize how far across the digital red line of robbing Peter to pay for Paul’s social programs, that it has passed…
Or the US Government will hammer Canada under NAFTA, pretty sure Google and Meta have Congressman and Senators, on retainer…

Or the US Government will hammer Canada under NAFTA USMCA…or CUSMA (depending on which country you ask…but no longer NAFTA), pretty sure Google and Meta have Congressman and Senators, on retainer…
😉

ps. I agree with you.

Add to this, the CRTC is now going to get podcast platforms (Apple, Spotify, etc. ) to register so that their podcasts meet Canadian content regulations. I can these platforms saying “Screw this” and stop offering podcasts in Canada.

Idjits! Every single one of them!

Add to this, the CRTC is now going to get podcast platforms (Apple, Spotify, etc. ) to register so that their podcasts meet Canadian content regulations. I can these platforms saying “Screw this” and stop offering podcasts in Canada.

Idjits! Every single one of them!
Most podcasts simply involve the host of the podcast and their guest.

It will be awfully hard to mandate X amount of Canadian content when the host isn't Canadian and doesn't have anything to do with Canada, and ditto for the guest... 🤦🏼‍♂️

This is too stupid to even focus on, for me. All I can say is the next election cant happen soon enough, so we can elect a government that unfortunately will have to spend a lot of its time & energy unfucking everything this current lot has done & continues to do...

(All they had to do was leave well enough alone, and things could have continued to work the way they used to. It's worked up until now, so why go rock the boat & force all this change?? I swear, the LPC retreats for cabinet ministers must have a "How can we piss people off even more?" component to them...)

PBO says the Federal Government would see $7.2B of revenue over five years, from online service licensing fees.

So with Meta and Alphabet choosing to comply with Bill C-18, once it’s legislation comes into effect.

So far, Trudeau & Freeland (and company) have managed to increase our personal income tax & introduce a carbon tax that just keeps increasing...

The fact they had the gall to introduce the Carbon Tax on Canada Day was mind blowing in and of itself, but the fact that it keeps getting steeper is just salt in the wound...

And yet somehow, despite being the most heavily taxed we have been since Harper was in office, JT & Freeland managed to almost double the national debt in a very short 8 years...from $1.1T to $2.1T...

So let's say the government presses ahead with its new stupid idea, and this time it works. The government would be sitting there looking at $7.2B more than if they hadn't proceeded with their idea...and yet somehow I have a feeling it'll just evaporate...

The fact they had the gall to introduce the Carbon Tax on Canada Day was mind blowing in and of itself, but the fact that it keeps getting steeper is just salt in the wound...

CBH, Surely you’re not surprised by this. I mean, the guy went surfing on the inaugural Truth and Reconciliation Day…
IMG_8985.jpeg

Back