• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0

Again, I so far have not seen a single person express their support for JT and the LPC (other than in specific circumstances, like me supporting the use of the EA).

But I agree with you that the country is definitely not :

Of the 32.62% of the people who voted LPC in the last election, I betcha most of them will still vote LPC in the next one. Now, that's just the people who voted, but I bet that among all those who didn't vote, it's probably a similar percentage that would notionally support the LPC/JT.

Maybe you're right, maybe you're not. We will never know for certain. But I have my suspicions.

Which is why I think Alberta's move for more autonomy is probably the best way forward and should be copied by the other provinces.

This was hard to watch. I turned off the video before JT even finished saying "we're not going after shotguns And rifles, we have banned military style-assault weapons."

Here's the kicker; we can't really do anything to stop this. Non-gun owners don't care enough for this to be an issue that will sway there vote, and gun owners are primarily supporters of the CPC already.

Ever since JT decided FPTP was the system we were keeping because anything else wouldn't suit him he's been hard to listen too.

Apparently something came out last night, from inside the LPC, and it instructed its MPs to fund raise hard and prepare for a spring election.

I would like to see the LPC relegated to non official party status. Then come back in 4 years as a strong center-left balance to the Cons. I want a strong LPC that I don't think is working to subvert Canada and Canadians.

Maybe you're right, maybe you're not. We will never know for certain. But I have my suspicions.

Which is why I think Alberta's move for more autonomy is probably the best way forward and should be copied by the other provinces.

Ever since JT decided FPTP was the system we were keeping because anything else wouldn't suit him he's been hard to listen too.

Apparently something came out last night, from inside the LPC, and it instructed its MPs to fund raise hard and prepare for a spring election.

I would like to see the LPC relegated to non official party status. Then come back in 4 years as a strong center-left balance to the Cons. I want a strong LPC that I don't think is working to subvert Canada and Canadians.
Alberta's move is a terrible one for our democracy. The law they are trying to pass basically makes them less accountable to anyone and is a direct assault on our democracy. Just as JT and his goons are doing their best to make a mockery of our laws and systems, Alberta is doing the same, claiming to protect them.

Looks a lot like something Mr Orban in Hungary would like for legislation.

The thing I think is funny about this latest attempt at a gun grab is I'm willing to bet money that nothing actually gets done.

The laws will be on the books of course but it won't be worth the paper it's printed on and no actual action will be taken.

The Police can't even deal with actual criminals smuggling guns, drugs and all sorts of other actual illegal activities, nevermind all the other social problems currently increasing their grip on our society. I doubt they'll be able to muster resources to deal with all the irrate rural gun lover folk 😄.

As for JT being a dictator, he can't be a dictator because he is just too big of a pussy 😄. They'll be sure to do lots of CONVENING though! 🤣

Alberta's move is a terrible one for our democracy. The law they are trying to pass basically makes them less accountable to anyone and is a direct assault on our democracy. Just as JT and his goons are doing their best to make a mockery of our laws and systems, Alberta is doing the same, claiming to protect them.

A province creating tools to assert constitutional rights in areas of provincial jurisdiction "...is a terrible one for our democracy"? :ROFLMAO:

Why don't you wait for a real example where this new law is used before you criticize it's use. Then we'll see if democracy is on the verge of collapse or not.

The thing I think is funny about this latest attempt at a gun grab is I'm willing to bet money that nothing actually gets done.

The laws will be on the books of course but it won't be worth the paper it's printed on and no actual action will be taken.

The Police can't even deal with actual criminals smuggling guns, drugs and all sorts of other actual illegal activities, nevermind all the other social problems currently increasing their grip on our society. I doubt they'll be able to muster resources to deal with all the irrate rural gun lover folk 😄.

As for JT being a dictator, he can't be a dictator because he is just too big of a pussy 😄. They'll be sure to do lots of CONVENING though! 🤣
You're probably right... But it does make criminals out of hundreds of thousands of law-abiding property owners, and any encounter with LE afterwards could result in serious charges related to what was once legal property. I'm sure this would make JT and his fans/supporters very pleased. This is increasingly not a Country I am proud of.

A province creating tools to assert constitutional rights in areas of provincial jurisdiction "...is a terrible one for our democracy"? :ROFLMAO:

Why don't you wait for a real example where this new law is used before you criticize it's use. Then we'll see if democracy is on the verge of collapse or not.

"proposing to give her cabinet new powers to rewrite provincial laws without passing legislation to do so"
"Introducing this legislation early in her tenure was a key commitment in Smith's leadership bid to replace former Alberta premier Jason Kenney, who resigned his seat in the legislature on Tuesday after expressing strong concerns that the proposal was a "full-frontal attack on the rule of law," that could lead to the province becoming a "banana republic.""

We have tools to assert constitutional rights, it is the court system and it works. Just because you don't always get the results you wish, if anything is a indication that it is working. I am very concerned when a province starts tabling laws which are both redundant as we already have a working system in place, as well as questionable from a protecting the rights of the citizenry perspective. We shall see how it turns out but it honestly at the moment it seems like something Viktor Orbán would pull out.

It seems that Alberta is just doing what Quebec has done for generations and she is being responsive to her voters desires.

You're probably right... But it does make criminals out of hundreds of thousands of law-abiding property owners, and any encounter with LE afterwards could result in serious charges related to what was once legal property. I'm sure this would make JT and his fans/supporters very pleased. This is increasingly not a Country I am proud of.
Just start making the plan for 2025 when we can have the opportunity to kick Trudno and his kin to the curb. Get rid of Jagmeet while we are at it as well. I'd really love to do it earlier so he doesn't get a pension, which seems to be his overriding concern.

it needs a refocus towards the middle. I don’t care if it’s slightly left. I’d rather it not go full retard left.

Either way it can’t include JT anymore.

Same with the CPC. Slightly right works.

But these gun laws are such a colossal waste of time and energy. The LPC knows though that it’s a wedge issue and low hanging fruit. It solves absolutely nothing and is bad legislation. The moment the CPC talks guns though it will be turned around on them.

"proposing to give her cabinet new powers to rewrite provincial laws without passing legislation to do so"
"Introducing this legislation early in her tenure was a key commitment in Smith's leadership bid to replace former Alberta premier Jason Kenney, who resigned his seat in the legislature on Tuesday after expressing strong concerns that the proposal was a "full-frontal attack on the rule of law," that could lead to the province becoming a "banana republic.""

We have tools to assert constitutional rights, it is the court system and it works. Just because you don't always get the results you wish, if anything is a indication that it is working. I am very concerned when a province starts tabling laws which are both redundant as we already have a working system in place, as well as questionable from a protecting the rights of the citizenry perspective. We shall see how it turns out but it honestly at the moment it seems like something Viktor Orbán would pull out.

You can find positive articles (surprisingly) about it too. I'm not going to do a back-and-forth media link war. Read both and decide how you feel. Articles that state "full frontal attack on the rule of law" or "banana republic" are pathetic fear mongering.

Regarding courts, yes things often end up in court but in the past the province was forced to take the feds to court to overturn something imposed... this now just reverses the onus. Now when the feds intend to intrude on provincial jurisdiction the province won't allow it and the feds are forced to take the matter to court. The provinces are not subordinate to the federal government.

You should be more concerned about what Trudeau has done and will do to the country than what Daniel Smith might do to a province.

You can find positive articles (surprisingly) about it too. I'm not going to do a back-and-forth media link war. Read both and decide how you feel. Articles that state "full frontal attack on the rule of law" or "banana republic" are pathetic fear mongering.

Regarding courts, yes things often end up in court but in the past the province was forced to take the feds to court to overturn something imposed... this now just reverses the onus. Now when the feds intend to intrude on provincial jurisdiction the province won't allow it and the feds are forced to take the matter to court. The provinces are not subordinate to the federal government.

You should be more concerned about what Trudeau has done and will do to the country than what Daniel Smith might do to a province.
Exactly. It doesn’t threaten democracy in the slightest, if anything I think it enhances it

If Ottawa starts to introduce laws or mandates that seem to be against the Charter or the best interest of Albertans, this gives the province the ability to disregard those until a court decides on the matter.

It forces Ottawa to bring the matter to court - and the province would abide by whatever that ruling is.

It’s a buffer so idiotic things like ‘banning all firearms’ or ‘can’t go out to dinner unless you’ve had all 12 of your Covid vaccines’ have to pass some sort of litany test before affecting the lives of Albertans.

It also forces the federal government to explain to a court, and convince that court that their proposal is lawful, doesn’t violate the Charter, is sound, etc

(I agree, let’s see how it gets used before we judge it too quickly)

Exactly. It doesn’t threaten democracy in the slightest, if anything I think it enhances it

If Ottawa starts to introduce laws or mandates that seem to be against the Charter or the best interest of Albertans, this gives the province the ability to disregard those until a court decides on the matter.

It forces Ottawa to bring the matter to court - and the province would abide by whatever that ruling is.

It’s a buffer so idiotic things like ‘banning all firearms’ or ‘can’t go out to dinner unless you’ve had all 12 of your Covid vaccines’ have to pass some sort of litany test before affecting the lives of Albertans.

It also forces the federal government to explain to a court, and convince that court that their proposal is lawful, doesn’t violate the Charter, is sound, etc

(I agree, let’s see how it gets used before we judge it too quickly)
I actually think it's a great idea and I'm hoping more Provinces adopt this tactic when dealing with the Federal Government.

But these gun laws are such a colossal waste of time and energy. The LPC knows though that it’s a wedge issue and low hanging fruit. It solves absolutely nothing and is bad legislation. The moment the CPC talks guns though it will be turned around on them.
The CPC should just only talk crime anytime the LPC mentions guns, then when they get in, gut the Firearms Act right in the beginning of their term and introduce better legislation. By the time the next election rolls around and the world has not ended, the voters will be focused on something else.

Just start making the plan for 2025 when we can have the opportunity to kick Trudno and his kin to the curb. Get rid of Jagmeet while we are at it as well. I'd really love to do it earlier so he doesn't get a pension, which seems to be his overriding concern.
His pension is due in 2023. I expect he'll play coy for awhile so it doesn't appear he was just waiting for that. Then there's their war chest. They had nothing the last time and probably less this time. I don't see the current government making it to 25. I just hope Singh hangs around for the hit if his party loses official status. A canned response the orange liberals are sending out, says they support C-21 but won't vote for the inclusion of G-4. Trying to stay on both sides of the fence at once, doesn't usually work too well.

You mean like he and his cabal threatening to sue Parliament because Parliament wanted to know the details of the Chinese foreign nationals working in Canada’s National Microbiology Laboratory in Winnipeg that has a redacted material transfer record between the NML and Wuhan Institute of Virology in 2019 just before COVID? Apparently not only regular Canadians but Members of Parliament don’t need to know what shenanigans were happening between Trudeau’s and Xi Jinping’s governments…

You mean like he and his cabal threatening to sue Parliament because Parliament wanted to know the details of the Chinese foreign nationals working in Canada’s National Microbiology Laboratory in Winnipeg that has a redacted material transfer record between the NML and Wuhan Institute of Virology in 2019 just before COVID? Apparently not only regular Canadians but Members of Parliament don’t need to know what shenanigans were happening between Trudeau’s and Xi Jinping’s governments…

I mean... that would be one thing to be worried about, but the list is long.

Back