• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0

Guns are simply a fact of life here. The key to being either LEO or a CWP Holder in any sort of situation is to think (too many don’t on either side of that - but that’s an education and training issue). I’m very careful about when and where I show a weapon - as when I was a LEO, I encountered too many people who don’t think before they pull or use their weapon.

I’ve been shot at 9-10 times down here, 7 of those were in a 36hr stretch with LAPD (couldn’t pay me enough to work there, as I didn’t include the time a guy tried to shoot me but had .40S&W in the mag of his 9mm, or the guy with the Hi Point .45 that didn’t fire) . I’ve been shot at more from native reserves in Canada…

I despise open carry, unless it’s uniform duty carry. Mainly as it just says I have a gun and probably don’t know anything about it or the law.

Firearms are inanimate objects, so it’s not a gun problem it’s a human problem.
Its also a cultural thing. Its something that is there since before we were born and will remain long after we are gone. We were in Minnesota last year and I guess its Open Carry. I was not fussed about it at all. People carrying weapons are part of me. My wife however was very concerned that someone might try to take his gun.

I have a few contacts who cannot fathom how we live in Winnipeg and its low temps and snow. But we grew up with it and live through it.

It is who we are.

I agree with that. However, too many humans think that having a gun means that they’re “tough” and may do things that they wouldn’t do without one. As the old Chris Rock (I think) skit goes, “having a gun means I don’t have to work out”.

Plus, who knows how much (if any) training they have with that gun. If they end up using it, it may cause more issues like unintended casualties.

Plus, who knows how much (if any) training they have with that gun. If they end up using it, it may cause more issues like unintended casualties.
You hit the nail on the head. Its training that makes the difference between and true "pistolero" and some dunce who bought a gun.

I agree with that. However, too many humans think that having a gun means that they’re “tough” and may do things that they wouldn’t do without one. As the old Chris Rock (I think) skit goes, “having a gun means I don’t have to work out”.

Considering the lack of training most the police and military receive on firearms I wouldn’t necessarily use them as the guidelines of a high standard. Most civilians I have encountered tend to shoot and handle their firearms better than most military and police I have seen.

The bar is pretty low for both, and yet somehow the world keeps turning without the mass bloodshed people seem to think concealed carry results in.

I took my Sheriff friend out on a pistol training night. He said he shot more rounds in 1 night than 3 years as a Sheriff and learned a lot from our firearm instructor. I know some other LEO's that only shot the minimum amount which is around 50 rds a year. My instructor who competes shoots 50,000rds a year, I shoot on average about 500-1,000rds of pistol a year. When I was competing, I went to a training night about once a month and then was shooting 3,000rd a year. By your measure, most LEO's should have their guns taken away.

I despise open carry, unless it’s uniform duty carry. Mainly as it just says I have a gun and probably don’t know anything about it or the law.

I am a big fan of CCW, not so much open carry, partial as I would be to tempted to drop $2500 on a nice gun and another 500+ on some nice leather. If I am going to carry I want nice looking gun.

Reactions: KJK
I took my Sheriff friend out on a pistol training night. He said he shot more rounds in 1 night than 3 years as a Sheriff and learned a lot from our firearm instructor. I know some other LEO's that only shot the minimum amount which is around 50 rds a year. My instructor who competes shoots 50,000rds a year, I shoot on average about 500-1,000rds of pistol a year. When I was competing, I went to a training night about once a month and then was shooting 3,000rd a year. By your measure, most LEO's should have their guns taken away.
That brings up two points.
  1. LEOs should shoot more if they’re going to be proficient
  2. The “stand and fire at the Fig 11 target at the range” may be fine for muscle memory and shooting competitions, but I’d argue that it’s probably not how a situation would go down in real life.
That being said, I’m not sure what the pistol training regimen is like for LEOs but I know the CAF one is literally “can you put rounds on the target”.

2. The “stand and fire at the Fig 11 target at the range” may be fine for muscle memory and shooting competitions, but I’d argue that it’s probably not how a situation would go down in real life.
That being said, I’m not sure what the pistol training regimen is like for LEOs but I know the CAF one is literally “can you put rounds on the target”.

How dare you question the 9mm pencil!

"can you put rounds on the target"

Which is the Number 1 goal to all weapons training.

First you get good, then you get fast. Then you get good AND fast.

Back