• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Haiti Super Thread- Merged

Hope I'm not being too morbid, but I really did find this fact sheet from the Red Cross interesting:
Cadaver management in a nutshell
# There is a widespread myth that dead bodies cause epidemics in a disaster.

This is not the case; the bodies of people who have died in a disaster do not spread disease.

# It is essential to avoid hasty and uncoordinated disposal of bodies

This makes it impossible to identify them later and the victims become "missing persons." If storage facilities are not available, temporary burial may be an option.

U.S. Diverts Spy Drone from Afghanistan to Haiti
* By Nathan Hodge Email Author  * January 15, 2010
Article Link

As part of the Haiti relief effort, the U.S. military is sharing imagery from one of its high-end, high-flying spy drones, the RQ-4 Global Hawk.

This image, shot yesterday by a Global Hawk, shows damage to the National Cathedral in Port-au-Prince. U.S. Southern Command is sharing the images so that non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and relief groups can get a better picture of the situation on the ground.

Danger Room pal Paul McCleary has much, much more detail at Ares. Colonel Bradley Butz, with the Air Force’s 480th Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Wing told at McCleary that the Global Hawk was originally supposed to fly over Afghanistan, but was retasked yesterday to Haiti, where it spent 14 hours on station and shot hundreds of images.

“Today we’re going after another 1,000 images, which will all be unclassified,” McCleary quotes Butz as saying. “SOUTHCOM will provide it to whoever needs it.”

Sharing imagery from a spy drone may sound like an unusual move, but it’s part of a larger push within the Pentagon to declassify and share imagery in stability operations and disaster relief. Back in 2008, former Pentagon chief information officer Linton Wells told Danger Room how he had pushed for combatant commanders to collaborate more freely with NGOs and aid groups. Wells, in fact, oversees a Pentagon-funded project called STAR-TIDES, which tries to encourage the military to tap social networking and trust-building arrangements in disaster response.

SOUTHCOM, in fact, seems to be taking a page from STAR-TIDES. The command has set up two collaborative portals: One that is accessible to partner nations, international organizations, NGOs and academia; a second, designated “for official use only” (i.e., unclassified, but restricted) that is open to users across the Department of Defense.
More on link

CEFCOM OP HESTIA site with useful details:
http://www.comfec-cefcom.forces.gc.ca/pa-ap/ops/hestia/index-eng.asp

Mark
Ottawa

Now this is sick!

I heard this before I racked out last night, and googled this am, with pages of results. here's what Reuters has to say.....

--------------------------

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE60D6F920100114

Angry Haitians block roads with corpses-witness 14 Jan 2010 23:30:00 GMT
Source: Reuters
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Jan 14 (Reuters) - Angry Haitians set up roadblocks with corpses in Port-au-Prince to protest at the delay in emergency aid reaching them after a devastating earthquake, an eyewitness said,

Shaul Schwarz, a photographer for TIME magazine, said he saw at least two downtown roadblocks formed with bodies of earthquake victims and rocks.

"They are starting to block the roads with bodies, it's getting ugly out there, people are fed up with getting no help," he told Reuters. (Reporting by Andrew Cawthorne)

-----------------------

IMHO, my predictions of a spirial of sickening violence are now appearing, and the rescurers may turn out to be victims themselves. It's no way to win hearts/minds of many international citizens thinking of donating.

OWDU

OWDU,

I understand how you feel,  the transportation problems are going to be bad enough without people blocking roads with corpses and making it worse.

I imagine it's going to be pandemonium there for a short time--the damage and carnage is so vast; the city had such a weak infrastructure to begin with--but  before too long, various militaries and humanitarian partners will get it sorted out.

~ At least, I have faith they will.

So I think the anarchy is very short term.  (And, hopefully a small lunatic fringe is responsible for it and it doesn't represent many of the good citizens waiting patiently and singing together).

Is there enough heavy equipment in place to begin moving the building debris, is what I wonder--these people under the rubble don't have a lot of time although on CNN last night an Icelandic rescue worker said people could survive up to 7 days?? I presume he meant if they weren't too badly injured and had some breathing space? 

Sending in the army:

Just heard on CBC TV that Ottawa is sending in troops from Valcartier along with engineers and a HQ group.

More:

Canada preps 800 troops for possible deployment to Haiti
The Canadian Press Jan 15, 2010 16:54:02 PM

The Canadian army has put 800 troops on standby for possible peacekeeping deployment to Haiti, according to a report by The Canadian Press, Friday.

The soldiers would be drawn from Canadian Forces Base Valcartier, Que.

http://www.680news.com/news/national/article/17306--canada-preps-800-troops-for-possible-deployment-to-haiti

There was one comment on CBC news this AM that kinda made me shake my head.

It was that the CF would not be bringing in any bulldozers, etc  just shovels, and hand tools.

Baden  Guy said:
Sending in the army:

Just heard on CBC TV that Ottawa is sending in troops from Valcartier along with engineers and a HQ group.

More:

Canada preps 800 troops for possible deployment to Haiti
The Canadian Press Jan 15, 2010 16:54:02 PM

The Canadian army has put 800 troops on standby for possible peacekeeping deployment to Haiti, according to a report by The Canadian Press, Friday.

http://www.680news.com/news/national/article/17306--canada-preps-800-troops-for-possible-deployment-to-haiti

An from an article from the CBC

Canada may be preparing to send hundreds more military personnel to Haiti. The Canadian Press reported that 800 soldiers are on notice, but that they have not yet been given the nod to go by the federal government.

1,415 Canadians missing in Haiti
4 Canadians confirmed dead after earthquake

GAP said:
There was one comment on CBC news this AM that kinda made me shake my head.

It was that the CF would not be bringing in any bulldozers, etc  just shovels, and hand tools.

Don't worry about that. I know it for a fact, what is what.    ^-^

P.S. Is it hot in Haiti?

About the same temp as us, isn't it?  :)

TN2IC
I'll assume that you've been to Afghanistan.  (I assume because most CF members have been by now).  I'll tell you my little story about Port au Prince.
A bit of history.  In May 2003 I deployed to Kabul as part of the D and S company as Camp JULIEN was being constructed.  I saw lots of destruction, etc there.  In Sept 2008, I deployed to Kandahar as part of the BG.  Same.  You've seen the pictures.

Well, in between those deployments, I went to Haiti as part of Op HALO in March 2004.  Port au Prince was worse off than Kabul or Kandahar city in many respects.  Poverty.  Filth.  No word could describe the smell.  That was when the city was "functioning".  I can not for the life of me imagine it now, with tens of thousands dead, many of whom still lie in the rubble.  Nothing can prepare you for it.

One thing that should (may?) alleviate that is the people.  Yes, now they are desperate.  Once aid hits them, and they start to rebound, you will be amazed at their pride in selves and their ability to carry on in spite of adversity.  The children will steal your heart. 

For this week, the temperatures are expected to be in the 30s, with fairly high humidity.  Go here for more details.

Tonight my mom was talking about the bodies in the road. "How can they expect us to help them, if they are acting this way?"

I told her that chances are, these people are in shock. Many have untreated traumatic injuries... many likely have brain damage and swelling. Many are hungry and thirsty... and most of all, they are all desperate.

I then reminded her about the ice-storm back in 2000. My ex was a medic posted at val-cartier at the time. "A lot of people do strange things after a while, when they're desperate". I won't get into the details but let's just say, after a few days of no heat/food/water, etc. people go a little coo-coo. Add a devastating earthquake and literally, thousands of bodies and all of the above injuries... well, you have a recipe for disaster.

She started to understand a bit about the desperation. And, for a country that was already struggling this is absolutely the last thing they needed.

Quick question though... does anyone else find it a bit strange that the US was there within such a short period of time but when Hurricane Katrina came in, it took Bush forever to act upon it with his troops? Is that really what a difference in a head of state can do for an army and the jobs they are sent to??

armychick2009 said:
Quick question though... does anyone else find it a bit strange that the US was there within such a short period of time but when Hurricane Katrina came in, it took Bush forever to act upon it with his troops? Is that really what a difference in a head of state can do for an army and the jobs they are sent to??
A bit of an answer, and it mostly has to do with the US constitution.  The employment of Federal troops in the US is a very sticky issue.  Going to Louisiana with the US Army is pretty well the same procedure as with going to a foreign nation.  Anyway, a bit of history on Katrina:
August 27, 2005

Statement on Federal Emergency Assistance for Louisiana

The President today declared an emergency exists in the State of Louisiana and ordered Federal aid to supplement state and local response efforts in the parishes located in the path of Hurricane Katrina beginning on August 26, 2005, and continuing.

The President's action authorizes the Department of Homeland Security, Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), to coordinate all disaster relief efforts which have the purpose of alleviating the hardship and suffering caused by the emergency on the local population, and to provide appropriate assistance for required emergency measures, authorized under Title V of the Stafford Act, to save lives, protect property and public health and safety, or to lessen or avert the threat of a catastrophe in the parishes of Allen, Avoyelles, Beauregard, Bienville, Bossier, Caddo, Caldwell, Claiborne, Catahoula, Concordia, De Soto, East Baton Rouge, East Carroll, East Feliciana, Evangeline, Franklin, Grant, Jackson, LaSalle, Lincoln, Livingston, Madison, Morehouse, Natchitoches, Pointe Coupee, Ouachita, Rapides, Red River, Richland, Sabine, St. Helena, St. Landry, Tensas, Union, Vernon, Webster, West Carroll, West Feliciana, and Winn.

Specifically, FEMA is authorized to identify, mobilize, and provide at its discretion, equipment and resources necessary to alleviate the impacts of the emergency. Debris removal and emergency protective measures, including direct Federal assistance, will be provided at 75 percent Federal funding.

Representing FEMA, Michael D. Brown, Under Secretary for Emergency Preparedness and Response, Department of Homeland Security, named William Lokey as the Federal Coordinating Officer for Federal recovery operations in the affected area.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: FEMA (202) 646-4600.
Please note the date in bold and in yellow.  It hit its second landfall (eg: New Orleans) on the 29th.  So, "Bush the Evil" was gearing up for Katrina and putting into action the requisite preparations even before it it.
As for the response:
The governor of LA was the prime "decider" in this case.  Several sources suggest that help from the feds was "resisted".  Bush, as president of the US, was not the "leader" in this case.  In the states, the governor is supposed to be.  Yet, since Bush is evil, I guess he gets blame?

From the CTV:

Canada to send 1,000 soldiers to Haiti
Canada plans to deploy 1,000 soldiers to Haiti to help in relief efforts, and two Canadian Forces ships are already rushing towards the quake-stricken country to deliver vital aid.
The soldiers will come from bases across the country, including CFB Valcartier in Quebec, CTV News has learned. An official announcement is expected sometime this weekend.
more here

Technoviking said:
Nothing can prepare you for it.

I know nothing will prepare me for it, but if I do "go", I know I"ll have all the support back home.

P.S.
Screw my New Year's resolution,
I"m going for a smoke.

Technoviking said:
Well, in between those deployments, I went to Haiti as part of Op HALO in March 2004.  Port au Prince was worse off than Kabul or Kandahar city in many respects.  Poverty.  Filth.  No word could describe the smell.  That was when the city was "functioning".  I can not for the life of me imagine it now, with tens of thousands dead, many of whom still lie in the rubble.  Nothing can prepare you for it.

I remember going down to Saint John when I worked at TN COY FD SP PL to pick your vehicles Techo.... man where some of them in hard shape......

Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act.

Fri Jan 15, 4:46 PM

By The Canadian Press

OTTAWA - The Canadian Press has learned that the army has put 800 troops
on standby for possible peacekeeping deployment to Haiti.
The Conservative government has yet to give the green light to the
mission, but defence sources say the order to move could come as early
as Saturday.
They would bring along engineering units, as well as headquarters and
support elements - something that signals a sustained operation.
Warning orders have been flashed to the units earmarked for the
assignment.
The troops would be taking 60 vehicles, which are already being
pre-positioned.
The U.S. has committed 10,000 troops to security operations in Haiti
where as many as 50,000 people are feared dead in the aftermath of
Tuesday's powerful earthquake.

Technoviking said:
(Excellent idea, BTW.  I've been perusing a number of threads on the one issue.  It may be waaaaaaaaaaaay too soon to tell; however, HESTIA may end up being much longer than a 40 day mission.  My spidey sense tingles that this may end up being focus #1 following Afghanistan, and for a while as well.  So, having said that, is it too soon to have it's own sub-forum (eg: The newsroon >> Operation Hestia)?)

So, with the news of 800 additional troops deploying and all, does that strengthen your spidey senses? How long do you think our stay in Haiti could be? I'm very interested in this being "our #1 focus following Afghanistan" since it seems I won't trade qualified before we exit the sand box.

Back