• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Manly Thread

Technoviking said:
Havok Four:

My condolences.  When my best friend died, we had her cremated, and we had her ashes put into an urn, which is proudly displayed at home.  It's manly to cry when your dog dies, trust me.  :salute:

Amen to that.  My condolences, Havok Four.  I have a couple of German Shepherd crosses who are sisters from the same litter, just turned 14.  They're darn near deaf now, and not managing the stairs in the house as quickly as they used to.  I get choked up just thinking about what lies ahead for them.  Ain't nothing wrong with shedding a tear for man's best friend.

Havok,,,
Long time ago I had to put to rest Lucifer.
A Siberian Husky,,,114 pound's of big fuzzy
snuggly dog. You wound'nt know it to look at
him but he was a big ole teddy bear.
He some year's after caught parvro virus.
I grieve for your loss.. i can only suggest for
your marker...
Here lies my best buddy Hamlet
An ole dog he may be
but God know's my best friend he was to me.
The ressurection will come some day,,,
and guess who will be barking and so glad to
See Me....
Hamlet
sorry for your loss mate.
Scoty B

Havok,

Sucky to hear.  A big hole in your heart for a while. 

"I cherish the memories of my friend, now forever playing fetch"

B

Going to run a half marathon shortly. Air Force Run........why do I put myself through this?

HavokFour said:
It's missing a marker still, and I'd like him to have one. If anyone has any ideas/suggestions on how to go about making one please shoot me a PM.

R.I.P. Hamlet.

I am sorry to hear of your loss, since you're in the Ottawa Area, there are a number of places which cast concrete lawn statues. There's one off Mitch Owen about 1 mile to the west of Bank Street and Mitch Owen.
As you drive west Mitch Owen, on the south side you will find a Dutch grocery store, turn south on that road and continue until you see a concrete statue of a pig on the west side, swing in there.

You will find many statues there perhaps you can get one of the same breed and sex as Hamlet. You could leave it at his grave site or maybe You could get a small bench so you could visit the site to spend a little time in quiet communion with him.

I handle a section called grieving for pets in a forum called www.thepetsforums.com where I try to remind people that there is nothing wrong with crying over the loss of a beloved pet, the real tragedy is when there are no tears because that pet managed to go through life without touching anyone's life.

Bacon said:
Just Look at my name...
Your name......your name....is full of WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

*hides the tear of joy rolling down his cheek*

Technoviking said:
Your name......your name....is full of WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah yes my name. My name rings the bell of joy for many, tugging on its rope, crying out into the city.
My name drips puddles of grease, enough grease to deep fry Micheal Moore; twice.

HavokFour said:
Today my best friend was put to rest. After a sudden, and rapid onset of cancer and an advanced form of diabetes 2 weeks ago, he was finally put down this morning at 11:00AM ET. Me and my mother, not wanting the vet place to just throw him in the trash (bylaws prohibit burying dogs and cats within city limits), drove over an hour to Cornwall where our family has owned a large chunk of land along the St. Lawrence since before Confederation. I found him a nice spot under a tree and began digging and hacking away at roots, rocks, clay, and sand until I had a hole about 7 feet deep of which I lowered his coffin (homemade).

It's missing a marker still, and I'd like him to have one. If anyone has any ideas/suggestions on how to go about making one please shoot me a PM.

R.I.P. Hamlet.

Sunlight streams through window pane onto a spot on the floor...then I remember,it's where you used to lie,but now you are no more.
Our feet walk down a hall of carpet and muted echoes sound....then I remember,It's where your paws would joyously abound
A voice is heard along the road,and up beyond the hill then I remember it can't be yours....your golden voice is still.
But I'll take that vacant spot of floor and empty muted halla nd lay them with the absent voice and unused dish along the wall
I'll wrap these treasured memorialsin a blanket of my love and keep them for my best friend until we meet above.

Randy Savage (the wrestler) as you may have heard, passed away a week or so ago. His final wishes were for his ashes to be spread along a tree where his dog's were. When I go, I'm getting buried with the teddy bear I've had since birth and my dog Rosco's old toy I bought him that he tore to crap. There is no other pain than losing a dog mate, I feel for ya.

Displayed a bit of a lip quiver and got some dust in my eyes at the memorial service to this gallant gent yesterday: R. John Nation.

Joined the gunners with my Dad in 1941, commissioned with him, then picked up by the Imperial Seaforths as a Canloan Officer. Lost his leg to an 88 on an assault in Holland Oct 31st 1944, never mentioned a word in regret but just got on and made one hell of a life for himself and his family. (Don't you just hate it when guys liek this raise the bar so high?)

http://www.legacy.com/CAN-VICTORIA/Obituaries.asp?Page=Notice&PersonID=149873893

During the service it mentioned that he was very grateful to have survived, with half the contingent of Canloans with that Bn being KIA. I checked it out and it looks like they were right, unfortunately:

7th Battalion-15th (Scottish) Infantry Division

ROH-310 Lieutenant Larry D. Nelles K/A 11-7-44
ROH-314 Lieutenant Frederick Scott K/A 11-7-44
ROH-196 Captain Lawson M. Smith K/A 30-10-44
ROH-659 Lieutenant Raymond F. Thoresen K/A 14-1-45
ROH-667 Lieutenant Everett E. Young K/A 22-2-45
ROH-668 Lieutenant Leland A. Young K/A 4-12-44
542 Lieutenant Earl W. Cameron
549 Lieutenant Anthony C. F. De Serres
255 Captain John W. Druhan
18 Major Charles B. Ewart, M.C.
627 Captain (Major) Robert M. Hemmingsen
25 Captain Roderick C. Keary, M.I.D.
634 Lieutenant Samuel S. Majury
641 Lieutenant R. John Nation

I'm glad you posted that D&B, as I didn't hear of it.  I knew him when I was a teenager - he and his wife were big wigs in my church at the time and I'm a SMUS alum.  A good guy.  :salute:

MM

medicineman said:
I'm glad you posted that D&B, as I didn't hear of it.  I knew him when I was a teenager - he and his wife were big wigs in my church at the time and I'm a SMUS alum.  A good guy.  :salute:

MM

SMUS did a fantastic job hosting the event in the chapel. John's two sons were brilliant, giving awesome eulogies the quailty of which I could never expect to have at my 'green light' session. We were piped out by Piper Buckingham, CScotR, who also happens to be a teacher there.

Manly as hell, the whole darned thing.  :salute:

Coolness :nod:.

Edit to add - They've always done a good job with memorial services there - I've had the fortune/misfortune to attend a number of them there.  Bitter sweet occassions all, as they were classmates or teachers I had a lot of time for.  I've always wanted to attend their Remeberance Day service, but haven't had the opportunity since I graduated (yeah, even though I live here now).

MM

Got to work about 0730 Tuesday morning....
Went home from 1630 to 1900 for a quick nap....
Came back into work, and will be here until about 0800 hrs this morning (Wednesday)....
THE OIL INDUSTRY SLEEPS FOR NO MAN!

(Also just spent the past hour here @ work varnishing a pic-a-nic table, and assembling a BBQ.....) ;D

Time to put the coffee on!

I helped build an airport:

http://www.ledcor.com/en/building/overview#c=2&p=5

Phase 1 and 2 of the Lyden Pindling International Airport (Nassau Bahamas) Expansion.

Just bought basic travel insurance for a climbing trip (headed above 14,000ft), for myself, but declined the extra coverage they offered because it sounded too wussy. The (female) insurance agent on the phone laughed when I said that, in that kind of feminine way that made me feel like  Hemingway would have approved.

Besides, I belive that the costs of insurance should never exceed the cost of the single malt whisky I always carry in case of emergency (for the celebration of successful summits, dulling the pain of failure, pain killing in case of injury, or trading for food/slaves/weapons during the expedition), or just because.

Did some gardening with my mother and grandmother today. I was the designated weeder when I came upon this one weed. My grandmother told me to get a glove on for that one, but my 19 year old brain said "nah". Gave her a grin, grabbed the weed, and received what I can describe as 1,000,000 tiny stingers from hell into my hand.

Keeping my cool (and a straight face), I went inside to treat my hand. I went into the kitchen and grabbed the bottle of vinegar, of which I proceeded to upturn on my affected hand.

It wasn't until half of the bottle was emptied till realized that this only worked if you had been stung by a jelly fish.

So here I sit with a bright red palm, ice cold beer in said hand.

HavokFour said:
... what I can describe as 1,000,000 tiny stingers from hell into my hand...

Far be it from me to laugh at somone's pain.....but that story is friggin' funny, I don't care who you are..... ;D

Back