• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Merged Thread on Gay/ Homosexual Topics and the CF.

Andrew, do you really feel that a note saying "you're gay, because of this minus 2 " is a threat to your safety?  I think too much is being read into that note.

Figure someone was just being a moron or trying be funny but failing, I think it's safe to say your friends have your back- I wouldn't worry about it

Grimaldus said:
Andrew, do you really feel that a note saying "you're gay, because of this minus 2 " is a threat to your safety?

I am guessing this is the system that Andrews is talking about;

http://www.tutorials.com/05/0570/057010.asp

Fathom: In U.S. measurements, a fathom is six feet. In metric terms, it's 1.8 meters. Estimate: 2 meters for every fathom. U.S.: When you think of a fathom, think about being six feet under(!). Metric: The term "fathom" comes from a person's TWO arms outstretched.

Andrew,

I am honoured to know you, for what you have done, accomplish, and will continue to accomplish.  In this world there are two kinds of people;  Champions, and Donkey Lickers.

A Champion like you does not need worry about Donkey lickers learning how to write on paper.....

dileas

tess

Andrew, if certain comments I've seen on Facebook from those who Soldier On has helped are any indication, I don't think you have to worry about what your friends think.  They know, like and admire you for who you are and what you've done.  Full stop.

As for me, I still see you as a damn fine SAR Tech! (Yes, there is a hidden meaning in that  ;D  Hey, a girl can dream!)

Thanks for sharing the rest of the story WO M - if nothing else, you'll get a bunch of sympathy from others who've been underquoted by the media.

Take care - in a variation on Tess's theme, better to be a keener than a weiner.  :salute:

Thanks Andrew.

Andrew, don't let the bastards grind you down.  As you already know there are small minds everywhere, stuff em.  Whomever wrote the note is a cowardly POS who should have had the backbone to speak to your face.  :salute:

Well Andrew, I guess most of it's been said. Chin up. Most of us don't care about your sexuality and most of us realize that you are one hell of a soldier and a great ambassador for the CF and Soldier On.

As for your interview, I too sat for a long interview over there in late-November that came out in a mag last month. It's interesting what tidbits they chose to put into print.

I'm pretty sure that I saw you at the gym a couple of times, perhaps the zumba jail too ... I echo what Strike said. Good job and keep up the excellent attitude!!

Keep up the excellent work Andrew, makes me proud to be Canadian :)

Andrew, by all accounts, you are a good man. Do not let the negativity of the small man get you down. As others have indicated, your strength and generosity has helped build a large network of friends, a network that I hope you will see has grown a bit today.

Stay strong. When necessary, lean on your friends. Lean on us. Take care.

A recent article in the Maple Leaf....

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/tml/article-eng.asp?id=22&y=2012&m=06

Is there a list of which month is dedicated to which minority in the CF?
Like a list of " X awareness Month"

IRONMAN3 said:
A recent article in the Maple Leaf....

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/tml/article-eng.asp?id=22&y=2012&m=06

Ref the person mentioned in the article, I recall a couple of guys in Halifax saying how much they loved hitting the bars with him because he was the perfect wing man.  ;D

The CF follows suit with government and Canadian society awareness campaigns, Aboriginal, Woman's, Disabilities and Visible minority advisory groups fall under the Employment Equity Act (ML article attached) and are all mandated by government.  GLBT are not included in the employment equity act campaigns as of today but I believe DHRD is working on including this minority even though it is not mandated to do so as of yet.  This article could be a  first step in establishing a possible CF Champion and advisory committee.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/commun/ml-fe/article-eng.asp?id=6769

Last year I was in Ft. Bragg, NC on my SOFSEC course (Special Operation Force Senior Enlisted Course)  and the topic of conversation one day prior to class starting was the rescinding of the "Don't Ask, Don't" policy. Just about every member there was angered at the policy and the bias and prejudices towards homosexuality was evident.  A lot of these old Chiefs were complaining and nothing good was going to come out of this topic.

I listened intently to their conversations and at the end I closed it off with my sediments... I told them that 25 years ago, homosexuals were not allowed in our Military, they were persecuted and released from the service, as time went on and the policies changed, I can tell you that 25 years later that it just doesn't matter anymore.  Times change, policies change, and in 25 years from now it just wont matter to you and will be a non issue.  I told them that as far as I am concerned, if anyone is willing to share a foxhole, take all the same chances, and do their duty, then I do not see it as a problem, neither does society.

I could see that a few of them actually understood, and of course the others that didn't... time will tell for them.  As the only International student on that course I believe that my sediments and outlook gave many something to think about. For the rest of the course, we did engage in a lot of varied topics and I feel that I had made a constructive impact on them.

Andrew, keep up the great work.

Cheers
Pop

RCAF Air Force News Article As one door closes...

June 7, 2012

By Holly Bridges

Warrant Officer Andrew McLean joined the Canadian Forces in 1991, vowing to serve his country and put the safety and security of others ahead of his own. For the past 21 years, he’s done that and then some, serving first as a Canadian Army soldier with the 1st Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment and then as a search and rescue technician (SAR tech) at 17 Wing Winnipeg, Man., 14 Wing Greenwood, N.S., and 8 Wing Trenton, Ont.

Today, as he dons his CF uniform for the last time, WO McLean is taking a different kind of oath – to continue the work he started as the co-founder and champion of Soldier On, a Canadian Forces Personnel and Family Support Services (CFPFSS) rehabilitation program. The program is designed to help injured members “get back in the game - running, biking, skiing, whatever it is they want to do,” said WO McLean back in 2006, while the program was still a dream. WO McLean dreamed of starting the program after many of his friends began returning from Afghanistan with multiple amputations.

His dream was fulfilled in 2006 when he co-founded Soldier On with Greg Lagacé, Paralympic Development Manager with the Canadian Paralympic Committee. In 2007, responsibility for Soldier On was transferred to CFPFSS and in November of that year the Soldier On program was complemented by the creation of the Soldier On Fund.

Now, five years later, WO McLean is retiring from the CF to pursue a full-time career supporting and advocating for people with developmental disabilities. Next fall, he begins the two-year Disability and Community Support Program at Red River College in Winnipeg, Man., and plans to complete a university degree in disabilities management shortly thereafter.

“My success in championing and developing Soldier On gave me a lot of experience and going back to school is another step that will contribute to my growing knowledge, efforts and passion to support others,” says WO McLean.

Education is only one part of WO McLean’s “exit strategy” from the CF. Through the Canada Gives organization, he has also started an endowment fund called the Canadian Torch Foundation to raise $1 million for post-secondary scholarships for persons with disabilities or for those who are entering disabilities studies. He kicked off the campaign by contributing $25,000 of his own money to get things started.

“As the fund grows hopefully we’ll have one in each province and territory,” says WO McLean. The foundation will also provide grants to rehabilitation programs for children, youth and young adults across Canada.

Always one to put his heart and soul into everything he does, WO McLean also paid special attention to designing a suitable logo for the foundation, one that would represent “the fire that burns in each of us to make a difference.

“The torch is symbolic of the responsibility we all have in making sure progress is carried forward. The hearts you see in the logo symbolize the passion and fire in all of us to support one another,” he says. “I know it takes a lot of work to be successful. I have not always been successful in my endeavours but I have always shown heart in at least trying.”

As for what WO McLean will remember most about his 21 years in the CF, the list contains both personal and professional milestones.

“I am not sure I can narrow it down to any one thing. Graduating from the Royal Canadian Regiment battle school, being shot at for the first time and standing our ground, being named combat corporal of the year, SAR tech of the year, saving a life with my bare hands, still holding the two fastest times for the Petawawa Ironman, being five-time Canadian Ultra Running champion, running 100 miles (160 kilometres) in the Yukon in -30o weather while pulling a 50 pound (23 kilogram) survival toboggan, being a Paralympic torch bearer, winning the King Clancy award from the Canadian Foundation of Physically Disabled Persons or co-founding and championing Soldier On/Sans Limites to name just a few.

“In the end I think my greatest accomplishment in the CF was that I initiated, acted and participated. I did my job with focus and passion and never compromised my integrity.

“I am exceptionally proud of the service I and many others have given to Canada and to the Canadian Forces as a whole. I have served along side many who, like myself, strive to honour human spirit, human dignity and human worth. The never-ending pursuit of excellence that we as the Canadian Forces embody both in our commitment to our defence team personnel and in our responsibilities both foreign and domestic are second to none. Duty, loyalty, integrity and courage are not just words but actions achieved by many. Salute.”

WO McLean’s last day in uniform is June 7, 2012.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

21 years service as an Infanteer and then a SAR Tech.  Doesn't leave much of a question as to the man's abilities, IMO.

I'll suggest that the f**ktards who left the "-2" note wouldn't last a day in his boots, ref this quote from the article:

As for what WO McLean will remember most about his 21 years in the CF, the list contains both personal and professional milestones.

“I am not sure I can narrow it down to any one thing. Graduating from the Royal Canadian Regiment battle school, being shot at for the first time and standing our ground, being named combat corporal of the year, SAR tech of the year, saving a life with my bare hands, still holding the two fastest times for the Petawawa Ironman, being five-time Canadian Ultra Running champion, running 100 miles (160 kilometres) in the Yukon in -30o weather while pulling a 50 pound (23 kilogram) survival toboggan, being a Paralympic torch bearer, winning the King Clancy award from the Canadian Foundation of Physically Disabled Persons or co-founding and championing Soldier On/Sans Limites to name just a few.

WO (Ret'd) McLean, good luck with your studies at Red River and in your future. 

:cdn:

John Tescione said:
I am guessing this is the system that Andrews is talking about;

http://www.tutorials.com/05/0570/057010.asp

Fathom: In U.S. measurements, a fathom is six feet. In metric terms, it's 1.8 meters. Estimate: 2 meters for every fathom. U.S.: When you think of a fathom, think about being six feet under(!). Metric: The term "fathom" comes from a person's TWO arms outstretched.

Andrew,

I am honoured to know you, for what you have done, accomplish, and will continue to accomplish.  In this world there are two kinds of people;  Champions, and Donkey Lickers.

A Champion like you does not need worry about Donkey lickers learning how to write on paper.....

dileas

tess

Why would the person making athreat use vague naval terminology?  Most threats use coarse language and name actions involving specific body parts.  Very unusual...

Are the semantics that important / worth debating???

The situation was that an outstanding soldier who contributed more than most of us dream we ever will, was made to feel like a lesser being, whether through harassment, threats, or other things or a combination, because of his sexual orientation.

When the man himself says that we aren't getting the full story

IRONMAN3 said:
it was one of many.

IRONMAN3 said:
context and environment play a big role in how one perceives discrimination and harassment

I'm going to think he deserves the benefit of a doubt more than the moron that wrote the note.

WO (Ret'd) McLean, my hats off to you, and good luck in your future which I am sure will be a successful one. You're a great example that those against the DADT policy can point to when people who are still five or six decades behind are flooding the air with their verbal diarrhea. :salute:

ballz said:
Are the semantics that important / worth debating???
Yes, they are, because apparently that's the crux of the issue.  The original assertion was that the -2 was referring to six feet under which referred to him being threatened with death.  The counter to that was it was a stretch to assume that it referred to an obscure nautical reference.

I appreciate the support that I have received since this incident.  We will never know what the note meant or what the person or persons who left it were trying to prove.  I have moved passed trying to figure out what the intent was (in the end my reaction was not an over reaction) and focused on what mechanism was in place or not in place once I came forward to formally file a harassment/discrimination complaint. .The note meets all the criteria for workplace harassment/discrimination. (no one disputes that)

(I will add that the COC had different reactions as well to what the note meant - the question regarding my personal safety was asked by me and a few others in the COC and rightly so.  I can also tell you that I was not the one who interpreted the note as a "Death Threat" that person was not only a higher rank but was in a position that requires situational and operational awareness far beyond my given responsibilities.)

Prior to releasing I did submit a 5600 word grievance that was well written/organized and researched. 

One of the issues that I highlight in the grievance is the fact that no Formal Administrative investigation was conducted because there was no "Respondent".  I disagree with this.  If I came forward to report someone had stolen operational equipment but I did not know who did it, do you think that it would engage an investigation? I think the answer to that is yes...

I am released now but will continue to pursue on the grounds of principle and in knowing that this grievance will most likely provide reasons and lessons learned for improving the mechanism's to investigate future formal complaints in unique operational environments.  i.e. Maple Leaf article addresses from a Captain (Navy) leadership perspective the responsibilities we have in not only understanding the policy but the importance of the application of that policy for whom it protects.  This can be applied to all forms of harassment, discrimination and  un professional behavior in a supposed highly professional environment.

I know at some point I will post the entire grievance (names removed) but will wait for the system to run it's course.  If only for the simple exercise of providing one example for others to possibly learn from.

Andrew

IRONMAN3 said:
We will never know what the note meant or what the person or persons who left it were trying to prove.
This emphasises my point, and brings forth the important message that what we say isn't as important as what people think we say. 

Back