• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The new gerber?

multihobbist

Inactive
Reaction score
I was inspecting some of the troops couple weeks ago and telling them in details
how to take the rust off their rifles and the bolts and I realized all the troops have
the new smaller, silver gerber multitool instead of the old black ones that I have.
The recruit cut his hand because the knife didn't lock in place. There's no lock for it.

I just don't understand the older ones got replaced because the newer ones seem useless at least the 3 i saw.

Does anybody have this new smaller silver gerber that doesn't lock any of the tools in place?

I had the silver one in 1996. I thought the black one was for "operational units"?

My old reserve unit had black ones 4+ years ago.

Nowadays I don't even have one!

There are a variety of gerber and SOG multi-tools floating around in the system, and a variety of "I lost mine but bought this and turned it in".

Don't consider any of them "new".

That being said, there were a large quantity of lock-less gerber brand multi-tools (no longer manufactured to the best of my knowledge)  bought a while back, long before any of the newer black ones, had a habit of closing on themselves....

Okay that makes sense, I'm considering them new because most of the course had them and I've never seen that kind before.
I've seen the same sized silver ones with the locks but these "new" ones are smaller without locks and they are very poorly made.

I'm guessing that's one more kit that I won't go to the clothing stores for exchange.

Just because you've never seen it doesn't make it new.

I absolutely blew somone's mind with carbon paper last summer. They thought it was the greatest new invention ever.

How about the black air mattress aka black betty.....

;D

NFLD Sapper said:
How about the black air mattress aka black betty.....

;D

Which I still have although I manage to lose a plug or two a year it seems.  Someday I will run out of them and will be SOL

Pft. Clearly you've never done a properly taught winter warfare class.

The "new" self inflating air matress retains some insulating properties even when deflated. The old black betty does not. However, in the event of deflation due to the loss of the plug, a bic lighter makes a perfect substitute.

a Sig Op said:
Pft. Clearly you've never done a properly taught winter warfare class.

The "new" self inflating air matress retains some insulating properties even when deflated. The old black betty does not, however, in the event of deflation due to the loss of the plug, a bic lighter makes a perfect substitute.

Dude, I have taught and done plenty o' winter warfare and the new air mattress can bite me.  It is a frost driven nightmare that I wouldn't give to my worst enemy.  I use a foam mattress most of the time but if I know I will be static, I always brought along the black betty.

Wasn't trying to "plug" the new matress, was only trying to pass on the tidbit about the bic lighter... it makes a bizarrely perfectly fitting plug... some day, QMs across the country will finally run dry of plugs for the old black mambas... and when they do, bic sales will boom....

a Sig Op said:
Wasn't trying to "plug" the new matress, was only trying to pass on the tidbit about the bic lighter... it makes a bizarrely perfectly fitting plug... some day, QMs across the country will finally run dry of plugs for the old black mambas... and when they do, bic sales will boom....

Dude I totally read that wrong and thought you were advocating me burning my beloved betty down.  Mea Culpa.

That teach me to read about exciting world of the development of a "Canadian" dictionary and army.ca at the same time.  I was probably thinking about burning the essay I was reading and transposed onto your post.

It's ok, I like to burn things too.

I edited the above so it makes more sense, grammatically.

Good thing your Bic now serves two purposes. ;)

MJP said:
Dude I totally read that wrong and thought you were advocating me burning my beloved betty down.  Mea Culpa.

That teach me to read about exciting world of the development of a "Canadian" dictionary and army.ca at the same time.  I was probably thinking about burning the essay I was reading and transposed onto your post.

Must be old age creeping in......

;D

a Sig Op said:
Just because you've never seen it doesn't make it new.

I absolutely blew somone's mind with carbon paper last summer. They thought it was the greatest new invention ever.

My guess at his/her age: 18

Back