• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Personal Weapons Test (C7 PWT)

Also, from the updated pam referenced above, here are the requirements for the awarding and wear of the Marksman Badge. (page 2-5)

QUALIFICATION BADGES
19. All soldiers within the Army of the rank of Sergeant and below who achieves the marksman's score with their personal weapon on the PWT 2 are considered a marksman and are
authorized to wear the crossed rifles with crown badge.
20. All soldiers within the Army of the rank of Sergeant and below who achieves a pass with their personal weapon on the PWT 2 but did not achieve the marksman score are considered a first class shot and are authorized to wear the crossed rifles badge.

The PWT3 no longer mentions Marksman in the scoring section.

Thanks for the information, and the references, it is good to know about the qualification badges.  Does anyone know if the marksman badge is only good for 1 year? 

Regards,

m_a_c

I've taken Doug's notes and touched them up a bit (attached and now removed - see later posts for an updated version). If anyone has updates/corrections please let me know. I didn't get the mag loadout for the first few serials, if anyone has those I'd be happy to update the doc.

Also used this as a reference: http://www.scribd.com/doc/9213612/BGL385001-the-Rifle-556mm-C7-and-the-Carbine-556mm-C8

If there's interest, I could also be convinced to make a "PWT" iPhone app. :)

Cheers
Mike

I was looking for the information on what badges need to go to whom after having completed some IBTS and as the answer was not especially clear on this thread (likely due to the age), I decided to share what I had found.

"QUALIFICATION BADGES

25. All Land Force personnel of the rank of Seargent and below who are assigned the C7, C7A1, C7A2, or the C8 as their personal weapon, and who achieve the marksman's score on the PWT 3, are authorized to wear the crossed rifles with crown badge in accordance with A-AD-265-000/AG-001 Canadian Forces Dress Instructions.

26. All Land Force personnel of the rank of Seargent and below who are assigned the C7, C7A1, C7A2, or the C8 as their personal weapon, and who achieve 80% on the PWT 2, are considered a first class shot and are authorized to wear the crossed rifles badge in accordance with A-AD-265-000/AG-001 Canadian Forces Dress Instructions."

For those curious to find more information that is from pg 41 of B-GL-382-001/FP-001 (CFOSP)which can be found under support manuals in the army electronic library.

Interesting, though I am sure there is something somewhere that states you have to requalify yearly to keep them up.

See if you can dig that up.  If not, I'll take a look at work tomorrow.

I've discovered (the hard way) that the C7 pam is no longer the authoritative source for the PWT, so the above info is not correct. Now we use the Canadian Forces Operational Shooting Program (B-GL-382-001/FP-001). I have attached an updated PWT 2/3 reference sheet. At this point, it's 'unverified' so if there are any hard core shooters out there who want to take a look, I would value your input. I think I got it right, but I thought that last time too. :)

I have also included a more detailed 'Firing Sequence of Events' doc that is handy for any RSOs/ARSOs when conducting the serials.

Cheers
Mike

Edit 21 Mar 14: 2 minor corrections

I'll try to remember to take a look in the next day or two. We're doing PWT 3 and 4 on Saturday. You're correct that the CFOSP is now the official answer with regards to all marksmanship practices on small arms for qualification and readiness purposes.

The version of the CFOSP I have here is dated 2007-03-01, is that up to date?

PWT 1 is Chapter 4, Section 2, Para 26 (Pages 71-74)

PWT 2 is Chapter 4, Section 2, Para 29 (Pages 77-78)

PWT 2 Night Supp is Chapter 4, Section 2, Para 31 (Pages 79-80)

PWT 3 is Chapter 4, Section 2, Para 37 (Pages 87-90)

NS

Looking at your sheet, here's corrections:

PWT 2

5.  Application prone.  Target Figure 11 in frame (not fig 11 on screen)

PWT 2 Night supp, correct.

PWT 3. 

Missing Ser 1 & 2 (100m zeroing + confirmation) though it's presence is noted, make note that it's identical to PWT 2 serials 1&2 if needed.

3.  Target is Fig 11 w/aiming mark on 1.3m screen

4.  Make note 10s between exposures

Ammo Allocation.

Suggest re-writing as follows:

PWT 2: 60 rds per shooter (20 grp/conf, 40 scored)
PWT 2 Ni SU:  30 rds per shooter (10 grp/conf, 20 scored)
PWT 3: 69 rds per shooter (20 grp/conf, 49 scored)

Total rounds per shooter:  159 (139 if PWT 3 grp/conf omitted)

Hope that helps!

NS

Excellent, thanks! I've updated the doc and added the Word version in case folks want to adjust it.

I might play with that and put some sample target images in there, but that's a pretty good summary!

Bzzliteyr said:
Interesting, though I am sure there is something somewhere that states you have to requalify yearly to keep them up.

See if you can dig that up.  If not, I'll take a look at work tomorrow.

The dress regs don't have to state yearly as the CFOSP/IBTS Standards state that this training has to be completed yearly and therefore your PWT score and ergo your badges are only good for a year, though theoretically you could go near two years between PWT's if you do it in April one year and then March of the following year as PWT just as the BFT just has to be completed sometime in the calendar FY.

Mike Bobbitt said:
Excellent, thanks! I've updated the doc and added the Word version in case folks want to adjust it.

Can you point me in the direction I might find this?

Back