• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Push-up and Its Variations

nawk

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm currently studying Physical Education and Health in university right now.  The other day in one of our activity classes, we brainstormed as many different variations of the push-up.  I thought I'd share my list with everyone since we all do push-ups.  Feel free to add to the list.

-incline push-ups: you can put your hands on an exerball, this will add instability requiring more of your core muscles to stabilize your body
-decline push-ups: put your feet up on an elevated ledge making it harder and also requiring more of your anterior deltoids (front part of shoulder)
-elbows tight to body: using mostly triceps
-elbows wider apart: using mostly chest
-hands diamond shape placed above head: requires a lot of abs and core muscles
-one leg off the ground: hold one leg off the ground and perform push-up.  Switch legs and repeat

Weight added push-ups:
-have a dumbell in each hand: do a push-up and then while balancing on one side do a one-arm dumbell row.  Do another push-up and then do a dumbell row with the other arm
-add weight on back to add resistance: this can be also done with a partner pushing down on your back while you perform a push-up

Plyometric Push-ups:
-do a regular push-up but explode upwards and clap in the air
-do a push-up, and then walk up to a elevated ledge (like a bench or box), do a push-up on the incline, walk down and do a regular push-up, repeat
-like the one above but more explosive: do a push-up on the ground but explode upwards and land on the elevated ledge; do a push-up on the incline and then jump back down to the ground
-place RH on a medicine ball and LH on ground. Do a push-up and then roll the med ball to LH and do push-up. Repeat

Variation of hands:
-knuckle push-up: creates more instability because of decreased surface area (relative to palm of hand) and toughens up hands
-one-hand push-up: obviously harder
-finger-tip push-up: same as knuckle push-up as it creates more instability\

good post. I've touched on some these in my stuff, but you've gone further. I've also spoken about doing asymmetrical push-up variations, with the hands at different angles to include more stabilizing muscles.

a good drill i did in grappling practice was

push up position (elbows close concentrating on tricepts)
belly off the floor 1 inch
explode up only 4 or so inches and continue like a vibrating mode and try to walk yourself across the room bouncing on ur hand by doin fast explosive pushups

Back