• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The snow here is so bad that

observor 69

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Haven't found any post to whine about shovelling, snow amount etc so ... :)

My back is killing me, gotta get out there see ya!

The snow is no where near as bad as it was for the first two weeks of December. So I'll just shovel along merrily now.

It's not the prettiest in Ottawa right now.  Winds are gusting over 50 km/hr.

My class was given a snow day so I'll be online all day waiting for assignments to come down from above and will be catching up on readings.

Baden  Guy said:
Haven't found any post to whine about shovelling, snow amount etc so ... :)

Heard the Rick Mercer Report this morning.  Poor Toronto.  They have "snow".  It is a tragic day for the city.  People have to clean off their windshields. 

And so ..... "National Groundhog Day"  ;D  .......is a "Snow Day" :snowman:

What does that mean ? :o ...........

Groundhog Day

Anyone with relatives in the UK or Europe?  This from the BBC:

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

US and Canada

Major storm hitting US and Canada

2 February 2011 Last updated at 10:23 ET
BBC Mobile

LINK

A bitter winter storm stretching 2,000 miles (3,200km) is crippling swathes of the US and Canada with heavy snow, rain and high winds.

Authorities warned the "potentially killer blizzard" could pummel Chicago through the morning.

Environment Canada warned as much as 20cm of snow could pound southern Ontario near Lake Erie.

More than 250,000 homes are without power and the US National Weather Service has warned against travel.

Chicago is expected to be hit by up to three feet (91cm) of snow, prompting authorities to call the city's first "snow day" for public schools in 12 years.

Illinois state police said much of the state's road system was impassable, and around Chicago, authorities closed major interstate highways and the area's commuter rail system.

The National Weather Service warned of "zero visibility" and bluntly warned Americans in at least four states: "Do not travel."

"Ask yourself if getting to your destination is worth risking your life," the official US government weather information service advised Chicagoans.

The service said the storm would hit the mid-Atlantic or north-east regions late on Wednesday before heading to Nova Scotia in Canada's maritime provinces.

"The storm has produced blizzard conditions with snow and blowing snow across the Central Plains. Total snowfall accumulations of one to two feet of snow are expected for a large swathe of the central and north-eastern states," it advised.

Heavy freezing rain was expected south and east of the snow area, the service said.

In Toronto, more schools were closed for snow than for any storm since 1999, CBC news reported.

Ribbons of ice

Most of the airlines using Chicago's O'Hare airport - one of the busiest in the world - stopped their services Tuesday afternoon as the storm set in.

The airport said it expected limited or no operations on Wednesday.

An estimated 200,000 homes in the mid-western state of Ohio had no power on Wednesday morning, and more than 50,000 households in New Jersey and Pennsylvania were without electricity.

The storm has turned roads into ribbons of ice, stretching the resources of emergency responders to rescue stranded motorists.

In Missouri, where more than a foot (30cm) of snow had fallen by midday Tuesday, authorities closed the state's entire 250-mile stretch of Interstate 70 between St Louis and Kansas City.

Meteorologist Jeff Johnson of the National Weather Service in Iowa told Associated Press news agency the storm was sure to "cripple transportation for a couple of days".

Oklahoma City and Tulsa, Oklahoma, were paralysed as the storm reduced visibility on the roads and snow drifts piled in drifts as high as 4ft.

The Tulsa World newspaper announced that it would be unable to publish on Wednesday for the first time in its 105-year history.

Superbowl on

The series of storms that has hit the US this winter is also wreaking havoc with government budgets. Clean-up costs are placing pressure on already tight public funds.

But other businesses are benefiting, with concerned residents stocking up on essentials.

Plans continued in Dallas, Texas, for Sunday's Super Bowl between the Green Bay Packers and the Pittsburgh Steelers - two teams accustomed to playing US football in adverse wintry conditions.

More on LINK

Wait for all those long distance calls to ask if you are alright.

Nice to know the Superbowl is still on.  ;D

57Chevy said:
And so ..... "National Groundhog Day"  ;D  .......is a "Snow Day" :snowman:

What does that mean ? :o ...........

Groundhog Day

Wiarton Willie did not see his shadow today, but that's only because he's a frozen block of snow and ice.  He'll thaw out sometime around May.  ;D

How many did the forces mobilize to Toronto during that op? Was the scale exaggerated or was it as huge as the media made it out to be.

DexOlesa said:
How many did the forces mobilize to Toronto during that op? Was the scale exaggerated or was it as huge as the media made it out to be.

"...some 400 soldiers from CFB Petawawa, Ontario came driving colossal armoured vehicles known as Bisons-plough-trucks that have the capability to carry a driver, two paramedics and a patient.":
http://www.thestar.com/article/569102

"How is an ambulance supposed to get through this?" Lastman asked in wonder."

"Art Eggleton, then defence minister, said "the conclusion was that yes, if...this additional heavy snowfall came there could be an untenable situation in terms of the movement of emergency vehicles." "

No snow here for a while, but it was -45 yesterday. Id rather -30 with a few feet of snow.

Well folks, While sitting at home on my Snow Day, I used iMovie to dolly up my own Hitler video!! Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2nc4ZbyB-E

dileas

tess

In Windsor, we didn't get a huge amount of snow, but the wind is pretty wicked. Looks like the 2nd wave of snow is still happening here. It's been blowing badly enough, though, to shut down part of Riverside Drive with drifting, and a couple of vehicles were stuck on drifts IN TOWN on Jefferson.

Apparently, roads were bad enough heading towards Essex that the county felt it prudent to close the Civic Centre office. I'm not going to argue with a snow day, and I'm staying in. At least we never lost power - that thought was scary. I've had to run the furnace a couple degrees F higher than usual - seems the wind is sucking the heat out of the house at the windows.

the 48th regulator said:
Well folks, While sitting at home on my Snow Day, I used iMovie to dolly up my own Hitler video!! Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2nc4ZbyB-E

dileas

tess

:rofl:
That 1945 video reminded me of what I have read of the 1944 snow storm.
http://www.blogto.com/city/2010/12/the_great_toronto_snowstorm_of_1944/

Edit to add: "... twenty-one people died -- thirteen of them of exertion, as they shoveled snow that surrounded their homes."

Here in Kingston the base is shut down except for everything at RMC... although that didn't stop some professors from not showing up, just not mine  :(

We got it easy in the foohills, we're into our second chinook in as many weeks. The 15 or so centimeters of snow we did get is already melting. The sidewalks are a bloody mess though. This winter has been a cakewalk so far, at least in the Calgary area...

Sunny in Campbell River BC!  What is this snow thing you describe? I just did the Sunshine Coast trip with the kids, we had great weather..  Highlights, looking for a yacht, going to Molly's Reach in Gibsons Landing. Low...  Vancouver traffic... I feel so sorry for city folk. Snow....  shudder...  horrid stuff, as useful as a housecat!

Further to Reply #9 on: Today at 10:28:30:

Video:
"A Canadian Forces "Bison" military vehicle plows through snowy streets in downtown Toronto. CU of the Bison's wheels. An injured woman on a stretcher is loaded by emergency workers onto the Bison. The eight wheel all-terrain vehicle arriving at a fire station on a snowy night. Includes POV shot from the vehicle.":
http://www.efootage.com/stock-footage/25995/Pov_-_%22bison%22_Military_Snow_Vehicle/

"PREAMBLE was the military operation in which Canadian Forces personnel helped the city of Toronto deal with the worst winter storm to have hit the area in 117 years. The following is a look at this four-day operation that involved almost 2,000 Reservists and Regular Force personnel.":
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_6972/is_2_11/ai_n28179279/
"In January 1999, Bruce Poulin was a Public Affairs officer in the CF's Public Affairs Operations cell during Operation PREAMBLE."

Back