• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Spam and Scam Superthread- Merged

A friend of mine received this one this morning.  The attachment to it (not included) contains a virus that his scanner picked up.  He is also smart enough not to open attachments in e-mails such as this.  I left in the from address just for reference.

---------------------------------------------------

Sent: May-27-14 4:38 AM
To: xxxxx@xxxxxxxx.xxx

Subject: Memorial Day - charitable lottery

Hi!
The 32th annual philanthropic Memorial Day lottery will be held on Saturday, 17:30.

Check your lottery ticket in the attached ZIP-archive.

--Yours very sincerely

US Department of Veterans Affairs

There is also another one going around recently related to Veterans Affairs Canada and payment of disability benefits/VAC Claims, etc.  I will post the content in the morning.

These Nigerian scammers are getting more and more creative...  ::)

Yahoo News

Email Scam Claims A Nigerian Astronaut Is Stranded In Space

Yahoo News
February 15, 2016

An epic new Nigerian email scam is asking for $3 million to rescue a stranded astronaut.

The classic ‘Nigerian Prince’ email trick, which attempts to con people out of money with a made-up story about great riches that are only accessible to them with the recipient’s help - and bank details - has been circulating for years, but tricksters have taken it to a new level.

With a plot echoing The Martian, in which Matt Damon’s character is accidentally stranded on Mars, a recent scam email claims to be from the cousin of a Nigerian astronaut who was left behind in space - more than 15 years ago.

(...SNIPPED)

Back