• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"The stuff the army issues is useless" and "no non-issue kit over seas!"

Jammer said:
Concur,
For the time being be happy with what you get, if not buy it and shut the hell up.

Now that's the way to get results  ::)
The system is broke and it needs fixing, being complacant about it solves nothing. I don't know about you but my life has more value to me than the $250.00-$600.00 it costs to purchase a piece of kit that will allow me to perform my duties without fighting with the gear to get a magazine into the weapon when needed, or wrestle a handgrenade from a pouch. No single person I have spoken to has considered the tac vest an adequate piece of kit on the battlefield, they have made due, or put up with the poor design.
If your attitude was the majority we would still be wearing wool uniforms with blancoed web gear, so no I won't shut the hell up..but you can return to what ever rock you crawled out from and rejoin the rest of the dinosaurs hiding from the reality that our troops require and deserve the very best equipment when called to fight in Afghanistan or some other theatre of operations.

So a couple of the guys just got the ruck.  I will preface my comments by saying I have not used the ruck extensively nor have I attended the classes.  From my observation I can say that the ruck was not built to be put on quickly.  With all the straps to tighten it plus the jug fuck compression sack I would hate to get out of there quickly and still have all my kit.  The plastic buckles and clips for the compression sack cause me concern esp. in the cold, say winter ex.  Also the  sternum strap pops off when you exile from your ruck with the quick release straps.  Now in A Stan who gives a shit but back in Canada I expect there will be LSR's on this little item.  When you bend the metal bars to form to your back they give you a sheet you must keep and I can see that getting lost (although I don't know what the answer will be), and finally I am a little leery on the round bars near the edge of the ruck retaining their integrity from normal user wear and tear but I guess only time will tell.  I should also add that pack your compression sack without light is going to be a joke.  And the guys were informed from the guys from Ottawa that the day bag is the 48 ruck and this new thing is long range/72hours plus ruck.  Since I didn't hear it with my own ears I will reserve judgement on that comment.

On the plus side some members will be able to pack there warm blooded play things with them now, its that big.

As I was at the brief I can confirm what LWQ said in his above post. The briefing said that the Day pack is intended to replace the 82 pattern rucksac and the new ruck is designed for when you operate away from your vehicle or base for more than 72 hours.

Not liking that little tidbit of info.  Was this always the intent?  (Directed to those in the know).

dangerboy said:
The briefing said that the Day pack is intended to replace the 82 pattern rucksack and the new ruck is designed for when you operate away from your vehicle or base for more than 72 hours.

HOLLY FRACK!!!  :o

MG34 said:
If your attitude was the majority we would still be wearing wool uniforms with blancoed web gear, so no I won't shut the hell up..but you can return to what ever rock you crawled out from and rejoin the rest of the dinosaurs hiding from the reality that our troops require and deserve the very best equipment when called to fight in Afghanistan or some other theatre of operations.
Alright Mate,
Apparently you don't see the value of my point regarding whining about kit we would all like to have, but have to put up with for the time being.
Don't preach to me about Afghanistan. The reality there is a lot of soldiers, including me have in fact spent their hard earned money to kit themselves out with they needed to be successful.
Yes we deserve the best money can buy, but that ain't gonna happen with everything.
For your viewing pleasure you can lift up my rock and and read my profile. I'm pretty sure I have a little bit of experience the would validate my opinions. Otherwise, please don't mess up the pebbles I've placed around it to mark my territory.
Cheers

MOD: Fixed your quote in this post and binned the other attempt.
Bruce

MedTech said:
HOLLY FRACK!!!  :o

While speaking to 2 DRDC uniformed officers during pre-depl trg, I was told the same info.  In fact many sr pers are encouraging the use of the Day Pack during the work-ups and actual BFT as a part of pre-deplyment trg to assess your fitness with the appropriate kit.

From the CTS site ref day bag:

Concept of Use – The Small Pack System will be a basic issue to CF personnel conducting land operations. It will provide load carriage in operations where soldiers are required to wear fragmentation protection and carry combat supplies and sustainment items sufficient for up to 24 hours. In addition to the soldier’s own carriage requirement, the Small Pack System will provide a means to carry the soldier’s share of section/platoon weapons, amunition and mission-oriented stores.

Lone Wolf Quagmire said:
From the CTS site ref day bag:

Concept of Use – The Small Pack System will be a basic issue to CF personnel conducting land operations. It will provide load carriage in operations where soldiers are required to wear fragmentation protection and carry combat supplies and sustainment items sufficient for up to 24 hours. In addition to the soldier’s own carriage requirement, the Small Pack System will provide a means to carry the soldier’s share of section/platoon weapons, amunition and mission-oriented stores.

:rofl:

Lone Wolf Quagmire said:
In addition to the soldier’s own carriage requirement, the Small Pack System will provide a means to carry the soldier’s share of section/platoon weapons, amunition and mission-oriented stores.

Not bloody likely. During the trial, did they carry 50+ lbs in that pack, over body armour and vest? I think not

No idea, I only cut and pasted of their site.  I am not fond of how the shoulder straps slide.  One quick pet peeve.

Jammer said:
Alright Mate,
Apparently you don't see the value of my point regarding whining about kit we would all like to have, but have to put up with for the time being.
Don't preach to me about Afghanistan. The reality there is a lot of soldiers, including me have in fact spent their hard earned money to kit themselves out with they needed to be successful.
Yes we deserve the best money can buy, but that ain't gonna happen with everything.
For your viewing pleasure you can lift up my rock and and read my profile. I'm pretty sure I have a little bit of experience the would validate my opinions. Otherwise, please don't mess up the pebbles I've placed around it to mark my territory.
Cheers

MOD: Fixed your quote in this post and binned the other attempt.
Bruce

Buds, do you think you are the only one with a tour or two under your belt, as a Sig Op no less, wow must have been rough manning those CPs, STFU about your so called operational experience.
      A soldier doesn't have to put up with anything that it is within his control to alter,or the chain command 's control to alter.Kit is most definately something that is well within the realm of the soldier and his CofC to alter,all it takes is some back bone to tell the clowns  at CTS and elsewhere to go f#$k themselves  and that their kit will not be used. Oddly enough it works,I've done it. my chain of command has done it and 2 complete CF units have done it, the problem is most so called leaders of men lack the testicular fortitude to do anything about the crap kit.
There is no making due or putting up with anything that doesn't have to be.

Is there a link or pictures of the new ruck sack you guys are talking about?

Is this our replacement one?

Flawed Design said:
Is there a link or pictures of the new ruck sack you guys are talking about?

Is this our replacement one?

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/chief_land_staff/clothe_the_soldier/hab/2/283_e.asp

How narrow minded can you be....?
You obviously have no idea about what my trade does. I'd be happy to educate you about how diverse my trade is. Someone has to make sure you grunts can talk on the radio instead of banging on your heads to get it to work.If you want to get into a pissing match about who does what...bring it on.
I welcome it, otherwise educate yourself before spouting off crap.
Just for the record and your edification (knowledge for you), my last three tours were out of trade doing C-IED outside the wire.
CP..hahahahaha I haven't seen one of those for ten years, although I head the coffee's good there.
(Crawls back under rock watching "We Were Soldiers" and counting how many signallers get whacked.)

MG-34
I do agree with you that CTS is a giant white elephant.

The new ruck basically looks like a giant small pack.

Ruck an  compression sack

I wonder how well the frame is gonna hold up once we start tossing the ruck into vehicles.. or load them up on a plane.

Back