• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The War in Ukraine

Reported on various sites.

North Korea sent Russia millions of munitions in exchange for food: Seoul

South Korea says North Korea has sent Russia 6,700 containers carrying more than three million artillery shells since September.
Gotta wonder how many of them misfired?

Ask Bruce…

If you can find him ;)

Work Office GIF

Playing with numbers with considering @ArmyRick 's napkin

Number of shells fired by Ukraine per month
250,000​
Number of days per month
30​
Number of shells per day
8333​
Approximate Weight of 155mm shell in kg
50​
Weight of shells fired per day in kg
416667​
Weight of shells fired per day in tonnes
417​
CH-147 Sling Load in tonnes
12​
CH-147 Sling Loads of shells per day
35​
CC-177 Load in tonnes
77​
CC-177 Loads of shells per day
5.4​
CC-330 Load in tonnes
70​
CC-330 Loads of shells per day
6.0​
Canada's annual steel production in tonnes
13,000,000​
Canada's steel production in tonnes per day35,616
Ukraine steel demand for shells in tonnes per day
417​
Ukraine demand as percent of Canadian supply
1.2%​

1709258082321.png

Someone check my arithmetic.

8000 shells a day sounds a lot until it becomes 6 flights of Huskies or GlobeMasters or 36 flights of Chinooks.

And the steel supply is only 1.6% of Canada's output.

Any old steel or car plants sitting idle?

Playing with numbers with considering @ArmyRick 's napkin

Number of shells fired by Ukraine per month
250,000​
Number of days per month
30​
Number of shells per day
8333​
Approximate Weight of 155mm shell in kg
50​
Weight of shells fired per day in kg
416667​
Weight of shells fired per day in tonnes
417​
CH-147 Sling Load in tonnes
12​
CH-147 Sling Loads of shells per day
35​
CC-177 Load in tonnes
77​
CC-177 Loads of shells per day
5.4​
CC-330 Load in tonnes
70​
CC-330 Loads of shells per day
6.0​
Canada's annual steel production in tonnes
13,000,000​
Canada's steel production in tonnes per day35,616
Ukraine steel demand for shells in tonnes per day
417​
Ukraine demand as percent of Canadian supply
1.2%​

View attachment 83471

8000 shells a day sounds a lot until it becomes 6 flights of Huskies or GlobeMasters or 36 flights of Chinooks.

Stelco in HM was closed down several years ago I think but they stripped the furnaces out of it. But the buildings are there and very convenient to both HM airport and the harbour, heck it even has its own pier and a rail line to the head

I think you mean 6 flights from C-17 or MRTT AND 36 sorties from Hooks.
As you wound need to get them to Poland via fixed wing transport and then Hook shuttle them to Eastern/Mid Ukraine ideally.

That 8k ideally would be 16k as well, 8k is kind of a treading water number in my understanding.

You would burn out the RCAF inside a month or two.

Steel isn’t the only issue for artillery ammunition.

I think you mean 6 flights from C-17 or MRTT AND 36 sorties from Hooks.
Thank you for correcting my grammar.

As you wound need to get them to Poland via fixed wing transport and then Hook shuttle them to Eastern/Mid Ukraine ideally.
Yep.

That 8k ideally would be 16k as well, 8k is kind of a treading water number in my understanding.
Agreed. But it is necessary to start somewhere to establish a sense of perspective.

You would burn out the RCAF inside a month or two.
If all else failed then the RCAF could charter Air Canada freighters to Eastern Poland. Of course perhaps Canada could get a little help from the Yanks and the Europeans to shunt 36 Hook loads of shells into Ukraine on a daily basis. Or a short train.

We hide behind numbers - Hundreds of thousands a month? We can't do that! But break that down in to pallets per hour and the sense changes.

Yep.

KevinB said:

There apparently also is an issue with finding or creating enough IMX-104 to fill them with also.

Nothing says we have to do it all ourselves either. If we have the capability to make the shell casings and someone else has the capability of doing the explosive filler then we can work with them.
There is one company in canada for explosive filler, why many of these companies arent scaling up idk, maybe they dont have access to the capital. Perhaps we need a critical defense industry loan program, super low interest loans from the government for the upgrade and expansion of critical industries like munitions production.

There is one company in canada for explosive filler, why many of these companies arent scaling up idk, maybe they dont have access to the capital. Perhaps we need a critical defense industry loan program, super low interest loans from the government for the upgrade and expansion of critical industries like munitions production.
Or maybe just an actual Crown Corp for munitions.

We could be making an updated version of these and send them to Ukraine to deal with the Iranian drones. I suspect the cost would be pretty low per unit. the unit in the video was made by Inglis, I read that they were well liked by their crews.

Back