• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Thousands of Veterans to receive voluntary one-time payment"

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Curious to hear from anyone who knows more about this - why "voluntary"?  This, from VAC's Info-machine:
Today Minister Fantino is pleased to announce that thousands of Canadian Veterans will receive additional support as a result of Economic Action Plan 2014.

The Government of Canada is taking steps to provide eligible Veterans, survivors or dependents with voluntary compensation for Earnings Loss (EL), Canadian Forces Income Support (CFIS) and War Veterans Allowance (WVA) benefits dating back to May 29, 2012. This measure is meant to cover the gap between the Government's decision to end the disability pension offset and the day the decision came into effect.

Changes to the way Earnings Loss and Canadian Forces Income Support benefits are calculated came into effect on October 1, 2012, and a similar change to the War Veterans Allowance calculation came into effect on October 1, 2013, at a total cost of $273.1 million over five years. These voluntary changes also mean improved services for Canadian Veterans, including approximately 560 additional Veterans now having access to the Veterans Independence Program for snow clearing, grass cutting and home cleaning services.

The compensation announced today will be made through a one-time payment to more than 5,000 eligible individuals, including Veterans, survivors or dependents. The Department is beginning the work necessary to implement these changes, which are subject to parliamentary approval of the Budget Implementation Act 2014 ....

I don't know too much about it yet but voluntary likely means you can opt for this as long as you drop all other claims against them or will not pursue any further claims or something to that effect.

Crantor said:
I don't know too much about it yet but voluntary likely means you can opt for this as long as you drop all other claims against them or will not pursue any further claims or something to that effect.
The cynic in me thought the same thing, but I hope I'm wrong.

No sense getting wrapped around the axle until they make their intentions known.

Speculation just gets hopes up\ muddies the waters. Take your pick.

I think that this means "voluntary" on the part of the government, in that it is not being forced by a court. They are just doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.

Loachman said:
I think that this means "voluntary" on the part of the government, in that it is not being forced by a court. They are just doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.

Of course they are.  :facepalm:

Loachman said:

:rofl:

Loachman said:

A.k.a. damage control (and a poor attempt at that).

Back