• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Three years ago, September 11, 2001 Where were you?

Bograt

Inactive
Reaction score
Every generation has a defining moment that they will share. Before September 11 2001, I had thought that the Challenger explosion would be that milestone memory- or maybe the start of the first Gulf War- then the horrific events in New York happened on that beautiful day in September.

I was (and currently still am) living in Stephenville Newfoundland working at the provincial community college. I was about to sneak out of the office to an early squash game when my squash partner ducked his head into my office and told me about the first crash. I ran down to the lobby and immediately turned to CNN. Soon the lobby was filled with co-workers and students. We watched in disbelief as the second aircraft flew into the Tower.

The events of that day were not limited to New York, Pennsylvania, or Washington. Stephenville was one of those places identified by then Defence Minister Collinette as a place to start sending suspended airtrafic. (It latter came out that he said that sending airplanes to land in Newfoundland was an easy choice because there "was nothing of value there") By 3:30 that afternoon our community saw the airrival of 9 heavy passanger jets. Some of them were from Continental, some Air Mexico- and their arrival immediately increased our small town's population (7500) to close to 9000 people.

For four days they stayed in our homes, and schools and churches. It was then I learned what defined "community"- both local and global. I was very proud to have helped out and be a part of something significant. It was a strangely rewarding time for all involved.

Where were you and what was your story?

I was on EX eating BEANIE WEENIES  IMP with 3 PPCLI  with an exchange comapany from Britian . We were doing  a Mountain Operations Qual. course.  JUst before the final ex started. It was a cool morning  just out side af Calgary AB.

:fifty:

In class at CFSCE, during POET, learning about FM (Freaky Magic). We had the radio on, and later someone wheeled a TV into the cafeteria. Speculation was quite rampant that morning. ("All cbt arms remusters are going back to their former units" :o)

I was at the same desk I am at now, on the battlefront.com forums, when someone posted that a plane had hit the World Trade Centre.  I started work at 0900 that day, IIRC, so I was at home watching TV when the towers came down.  We have TVs on our unit of the hospital for patients' families, so they were naturally on.  I do recall riding the shuttle bus from the parking lot and asking the commissionaire driving the bus to change to the all news station on the radio.  Looking back, he was probably sick of hearing about it already, but he changed the channel anyway.

I do remember casting nervous glances over towards downtown to see if Banker's Hall was still up.  Our hospital has 12 stories and would make an excellent target in itself if someone was so inclined; what better way to maximize casualties than to take out a hospital....

i was in school, i came home at lunch and saw the "replays" if you will over and over again, those images have yet to cease in my mind...

I along with 3 others who were awaiting for battleschool were washin an ML when the announcement went over the radio.  Made all of us think of what the future could hold for us...

...I was working at Bell Canada in Ottawa with the Emergency Response Unit...

...My wife was waiting to board a plane in Denver, CO...

...moving to Indiana...

was really spooky ... not a plane in the sky.....

I was working at my desk at the NRA building in Fairfax VA.  On the way into work I heard that a plane crashed into the WTC and at first I thought that some private aircraft/cessna type thing had smashed into the building.  It wasn't until about 30 minutes later that things started to become pretty apparent when people around the office all started talking.

What was really weird was after the Pentagon got hit.  The office in Fairfax is about 12 miles as the crow flies from the Pentagon and because the sky was so clear that day you could see the smoke on the horizon from the fire.

I had just gotten out of the shower and was getting ready for work (about 0600 in BC) and I turned on the news.  I watched the second plane crash.  Horrible.

I was at home and logged on to the computer at 1100 and saw the pics on MSN and thought it was just an article on what could happen. When i watched the news an hour late I was horrified.

During the attack, I was in my communications class, unaware of anything going on. I don't think anyone in my school found out anything until the principal made an announcement over the PA system after the towers collapsed. Rather than experiencing the event live, with the rest of my family (at work or at college, listening to the radio), I was busy doing a "reshoot" of Michael Jackson's "Thriller" video, or learning about the wonders of Visual Basic (to which I was trying to sleep through).

I was at work when I first heard the news about the first plane from colleagues. Our office had a couple of big screen TVs with satellite feeds, so many of us made our way to the common room to watch the events unfold. The gravity of the situation was only beginning to sink in for me just as I saw the second plane hit. It only got worse as I saw the first, then the second tower collapse, all in real time. It all still seemed so surreal to me. People in the office were so appalled and emotionally shocked that business was shut down for the rest of the day and we were all sent home.

Being in Ottawa, I made a few visits to the U.S. embassy to pay my respects in the days that followed, along with countless others. On one particular visit, I had brought along three candles: red, white, and blue. I set them up in order alongside the countless other tributes laid along the embassy wall and lit the candles. As I rose and took a step back, a couple of guys walked up to me, and one of them said, "I'm an American, and I think that's a really classy thing that you did. Thank you." He then offered me a hearty handshake and moved on. Obviously, my gesture was not intended to draw praise, but the show of appreciation was very moving.

I still have pictures of my small tribute along with many others, and when I look back on them, I still get chills at the memory of it all.

Bosnia..Camp Zgon to be exact....Thought it was a new movie on the big screen in the mess (can't hear the commentary) during early dinner.

I was commander of the duty Amb crew...

Then the super spin cycle started...

Bosnia it seems (for those who don't know) had its fair share of Al-Quieda supporters. Accordingly, the threat level jumped up more then a couple levels.

I was in Kingston attending RMC while I waited to go to Moose Jaw. I had a late class that day and I had just woke up and was watching the sports highlights when my buddy called and told me to change to CNN.  Me being a pilot he called to get my opinion on how an airliner could crash into a building on a clear day.  While we were discussing it, the second jet hit. We both went "Holy F***!" at the same time. I was awestuck and it took a few moments for it to sink in what was happening. I remember it was the same feeling I had when I was in public school watching the Challenger shuttle launch and subsequent explosion. Surreal is the best word to describe it, like waiting for someone to wake you up. Definitely a day that I will remember for years to come.

Cheers

In the hallway at school.  Some girl was listening to the radio, when the DJ said a plane justflew into the WTC.  I thought it was an accident or something.  When I went to my bio class, since the teacher was not there I turned on the computer in class went to a news site and watched live as the second plane hit.  Everyone in the class was silent, we all new this was no accident that something bad was happening.

I was doing armed security at Ryerson Poly U in Toronto that day. Watched it live on TV and watched the campus becomea ghost town. A very scary day.

Slim

I was working at the Dominion across the street from Ryerson, and my boss told me that a plane had hit the WTC and I thought he meant a Cessna or something.   Then a while later my girlfriend showed up in tears and told me that the World Trade Center was gone, and that they were estimating that 50,000 people were dead.
I was totally stunned, as I guess most people were.   I remember a lot of people being affraid that we were witnessing the onset of World War III.   It was a very uncertain and surreal day for me.

I was on my way to or from Ukrainian class... (can't remember..) but the principal came onto the overhead, I was just outside the office at that point, and told us the news. "Terrorist attack" she said. We all said a prayer.. went on with our day..
I didn't think about it again until I came home to find my dad home early and literally plastered to the TV. The plane flying into the tower, the mere sight of the towers falling... I felt like crying. I didn't understand why, or how, anyone could do such a thing. 

It was all just a huge blur. It hardly ever set in. I was just in so much shock.
It seemed so far away but in reality it struck far too close to home.
I went to bed last night wondering what the future had in store, I thought that, hell, it could be the first attack of some WWIII.

Can't believe it's been three years...
Lex

Back