• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tim Hortons in Theatre Merged Thread (in AFG, no plans to preposition)

Don't worry Granny....the PRT visit KAF on a regular basis, and will no doubt get plenty of Tims    ;)

Regards

Recce
I don't worry too much I must have sent $400. worth of beef jerky in the last four months so the boy isn't doing with out much. And the Ice caps will taste so much better while sitting on a plane. :)

:rofl:

No doubt.....I know the frappachinos or whatever they are called at Green Bean tasted great after 5 months of eating sand.

Regards

This just in !!

Kandahar Tim Horton's fresh out of doughnuts
Updated Fri. Jul. 14 2006 9:14 AM ET  Canadian Press
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060714/afghanistan_hortons_060714/20060714?hub=TopStories

Canada's soldiers in Kandahar say they can live with the oppressive heat, dust and exhaustion of fighting Taliban.

But they draw the line when they lose their doughnuts.

The Tim Horton's restaurant that opened at the Kandahar Air Field before Canada Day ran out of doughnuts on Thursday.

By Friday, the Timbits were gone, too.
More on Link

Mind you the Chai Latte is pretty good....but can't beat the Double Double.

I second that.. those were pretty good, but still didn't compare to those timmies double doubles they had waiting for us when we got off the plane in Edmonton..
Now I find myself working civvie side as an electrical engineer drinking office coffee.. blech..

And Granny, everyone in southern Afghanistan is jealous of the Kandahar PRT guys anyways.. that's where the best food is!

Folks there is a gent that writes poems on the "write to the troops" site this is one og his latest

Timothy - 7/8/2006 [03:19]
Windsor, Ontario,, Canada
I received another package today
but failed to recognize the name
from a town outside of Calgary
not knowing, I opened just the same

Inside a card from Ms Becker's class
was signed by every boy and girl
all wished me luck and gave a thanks
but what they added gave me a twirl

Someone went and visited Timmie's
and added some coupons for coffee
now I sit and write them back
drinking a morning cup for free

Whoever knew a cup of brew
could restore my faith anew
I ended: Thank you!

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2006/07/14/1684241-cp.html

Troops mourn loss of doughnuts

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (CP) - Canada's soldiers in Kandahar say they can live with the oppressive heat, dust and exhaustion of fighting Taliban.

But they draw the line when they lose their doughnuts. The Tim Horton's restaurant that opened at the Kandahar Air Field before Canada Day ran out of doughnuts on Thursday. By Friday, the Timbits were gone, too. Staff at the "Timmies trailer," as it has become known, say they're hoping for a fresh batch of supplies soon, but were unable to say when they'd once again be making the soft, sweet treats.

Getting doughnuts into the base takes a back seat to the military's number one priority - armaments and the basic necessities of life for the troops.

Just like we predicted!  ::)

Read the first page of this thread...

Armymedic said:
Sorry troops, my feel of it is that there is no good reason to have a Tim's in Theater with us. Just because we can...nope. Will it make our QOL any better over there...nope. Will it cause more problems then its worth...yep.

We already have the coffee. They can ship over cups, and we have in the past. You will not be able to ship the Tims cream all the way across the pond. And trust me, our soldiers are not dying over there from lack of food, so no need for donuts.

The logistics of this is gigantic. Sure it would be great to have a trailer in KAF, but what good if its only open 1 day every 2 weeks because all the supplies have run out. Who is going to use if...Oh yes, all the NSE and NCE who are back in the big camp....having an outlet so that the majority of troops can get a coffee once or twice a month?

Gee, I hate when I am right... ;)

Not only that but you can't bar any other contingent's troops from buying from them. If you did that, the ramifications could be far reaching....read PX, Buger King, Pizza Hut etc.

It's a nicety, but come on. Are the troops out in the FOBs getting it on a regular basis?

NOPE.

NCE and NSE are.....

One tubby wubby....two tubby wubby.....

:pushup:

Regards

Well I thought I would put my 2 cents in. Hubby is never on base however with that said. He actually was in camp for Canada day. He loved that Timmies was there and he got to try an ice lata closest thing to a slurpee he could find( not sure what it is called cause I only drink coffee) He said it was his highlight. So with that being said I am glad that Timmies was there because for that one drink it made his day. For that I am thankful. So whether all of your comments are right just remember that the one coffee or that slushy thing made one front line soldier happy for that one instant. That is all that counts in my books.

Booked_Spice said:
For that I am thankful. So whether all of your comments are right just remember that the one coffee or that slushy thing made one front line soldier happy for that one instant. That is all that counts in my books.

+10

Booked_Spice said:
So whether all of your comments are right just remember that the one coffee or that slushy thing made one front line soldier happy for that one instant. That is all that counts in my books.

In the end...that is the only thing that does count.

The troops in the FOBs don't get anything on a regular basis so a nicety like that does mean alot.

I remember the first sip of a Ice Latte from the Green Bean and real burger from Burger King after spending about 2 months working out of the FOB in Lagman....it was pure heaven.

The thing that I was trying to get across is the fact that a few individuals are commenting (not here mind you) is that they should ensure that only Canadian troops should be served in the Timmies trailer.

I'd be nice that's for sure but it can't be done, the other contingents would surely freak out. The boardwalk is for everyone...no exceptions.

Mind you the freakin' Romulans should be barred from everything IMHO. They swarm like vultures on a carcase as soon as something new or nice meant for everyone becomes available.

There was one point in Canada House around December that there was more Romainians in there than Canadians. Try to get a seat to watch the Olympics and you'd have to almost grab them to get a chair. If there was new kit coming in to the Canex they were there before anyone else and grab up everything....leaving nothing for any Canucks.

After a couple of days they were barred completely...I believe they still are, someone here please correct me if I'm wrong.

/rant

Regards

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/Oddities/060714/K071404U.html

Canadian soldiers in Kandahar mourn temporary loss of doughnuts
03:42:52 EDT Jul 14, 2006

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (CP) - Canada's soldiers in Kandahar say they can live with the oppressive heat, dust and exhaustion of fighting Taliban.

But they draw the line when they lose their doughnuts. The Tim Horton's restaurant that opened at the Kandahar Air Field before Canada Day ran out of doughnuts on Thursday. By Friday, the Timbits were gone, too. Staff at the "Timmies trailer," as it has become known, say they're hoping for a fresh batch of supplies soon, but were unable to say when they'd once again be making the soft, sweet treats.

Getting doughnuts into the base takes a back seat to the military's number one priority - armaments and the basic necessities of life for the troops.

So, who, exactly, is drawing "the line"?

What "line" is being drawn?

What does this mean?

If the second highlighted quote takes precedence, what, exactly, is the point of the first?

I guess that the new Tim Hortons is going to counteract the CDS's fitter CF idea?

I know our boys in the FOB's don't need doughnuts anyway, they are hard soldiers and can endure a tour without "fat pills". Besides it would suck to come home from war and your only war story is about the time you had to drink crappy american coffee, and when the Pizza Hut burnt your pie. Keep up the good work guys...

:cdn:

Yes, us NCE types are especially spoiled. That\s why i hate my cohorts complaining about every last detail while they sit in their air conditioned office with a double double and beef jerky, boils the blood.

By the way, I haven't seen any romulans dare enter canada house for anything other than smokes....and that's even during world cup time.

And although the PRT may have the best mess food, us MT7 folk send as much stuff as often as we can to our fellow sigs, and i think othr groups should be doing likewise.

GAP said:
This just in !!

Kandahar Tim Horton's fresh out of doughnuts
Updated Fri. Jul. 14 2006 9:14 AM ET  Canadian Press
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060714/afghanistan_hortons_060714/20060714?hub=TopStories

Canada's soldiers in Kandahar say they can live with the oppressive heat, dust and exhaustion of fighting Taliban.

But they draw the line when they lose their doughnuts.

The Tim Horton's restaurant that opened at the Kandahar Air Field before Canada Day ran out of doughnuts on Thursday.

By Friday, the Timbits were gone, too.
More on Link

I should report the article as an OPSEC violation...if it ever got out that Timmies is Vital Ground for the NCE/NSE, it'll just be a matter of time before it winds up on some bad guys HVTL.  ;D

:dontpanic:

Recce By Death said:
Mind you the freakin' Romulans should be barred from everything IMHO. They swarm like vultures on a carcase as soon as something new or nice meant for everyone becomes available.

/rant

Regards

Did you notice they never seemed to crowd out the gym?

And what was with those cheap RC cars they bought on the bazaar.....bet they lasted long..

but back on thread, when I was there (aug-dec 05) the free timmies in canada house was a godsend. I didn't even know about it till a friend from the PRT brought me there one night. Must be very nice now to have a fully op timmies there.

Back