• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tim Hortons in Theatre Merged Thread (in AFG, no plans to preposition)

woodys girl said:
What's wrong with that is........how easy it is for someone to use a stolen credit card.

I had my purse stolen a few years back, and in the two hours it took me to file a police report and get home to call the credit card companies, the thieves had racked up a couple of hundred bucks at convenience stores and gas bars (cigarettes, likely).  I don't think your average credit card thief is going to head to Timmies to get a double double and a dozen donuts for his buddies :)!  Pretty low risk, I think.  Even a signature isn't a help - I saw one of the credit card slips the theives "signed."  He didn't even sign my name, let alone try to make it look like my signature.  Sorry for the hijack.

exgunnertdo said:
I  I don't think your average credit card thief is going to head to Timmies to get a double double and a dozen donuts for his buddies :)

LMAO  cute!

geo said:
Journeyman,
As I indicated already, Green Beans already uses the darned thing... so it shouldn't be too hard to train the foreign workers who stand behind the counter...

Actually Geo, all who work behind the Timmies counter are Canadian PSP employees. Some of them work for TDL back here.

Journeyman said:
The workers aren't the problem; it's the customers. And it's often the same issue as anywhere else -- "let's see, I'll have 3 large...no medium...regular....7 ice capachino....no 6....did I say 3 large? I meant 2 large and a medium....and one is a double double......." - - - only in an accent that's incomprehensible to the otherwise wonderful, usually bilingual, Timmies staff.

Amazing what a pencil and a piece of paper can solve...

Also sounds like they need two seperate lineups - one for gophers making mass orders for thei local HQ, and one for individuals, possibly with a 'five items or less' sign over top... 

Greymatters said:
Also sounds like they need two seperate lineups - one for gophers making mass orders for thei local HQ, and one for individuals, possibly with a 'five items or less' sign over top...   
The above is not only applicable to KAF -- you should see the line-ups at the 3 Timmies in this town when courses hit them!!  :mad:

ArmyVern said:
The above is not only applicable to KAF -- you should see the line-ups at the 3 Timmies in this town when courses hit them!!  :mad:

LOL or when all us Incremental Staff shows up....

So I was able to get the number for the place in Kingston where one can order the paper gift certificates.  I was told that they will generally only consider orders of 200 booklets or more.  So I'd suggest that people talk to their local MFRCs and Legions (Ladies Aux tends to handle the coffee for KAF donations) and see about them getting orders in.  Send me a PM if you want the Kingston number.

Keep in mind I may not reply right away so be patient.

How generals' order for 'Timmy's in the Stan' caused a stir
Setting up iconic eatery in Kandahar worried military planners
Mike Blanchfield and Andrew Mayeda, The Ottawa Citizen Published: Tuesday, November 20, 2007
Article Link

The top generals had spoken: Tim Hortons coffee would be brought to Canadian troops in Kandahar without fail.

But, as military documents reveal, some Defence Department planners charged with executing that order had concerns about the project, including whether equipment destined for soldiers in Afghanistan might have to take a back seat to the chain's supplies, not to mention whether other food firms would complain about favouritism toward the iconic coffee empire.

Coffee: Tim Hortons franchise thrives alongside Pizza Hut and Burger King

Continued from page a1

The Forces ultimately succeeded in setting up a Tim Hortons franchise at Kandahar Airfield last year, but not before those issues were put to rest.

On March 14, 2006, as Prime Minister Stephen Harper was holding his historic first meeting with Hamid Karzai at the presidential palace in Kabul, Canadian military planners met in Ottawa to discuss how to set up a "Timmy's" in "the Stan."

As one top officer said in an e-mail summarizing that meeting: "It is not a question of IF, it is WHEN will Timmy's be in theatre."

That was because Gen. Rick Hillier, the chief of defence staff, had already publicly declared his intention to bring a Tim Hortons franchise to Kandahar during a keynote speech to a 450-member military audience in Ottawa. He said it would serve as a morale booster to soldiers on the front lines.

"There's nothing more Canadian than sipping a double double in Kandahar Airfield while you're watching a hockey game," Gen. Hillier told the Conference of Defence Associations on Feb. 23, 2006.

Five days later, Gen. Hillier's Afghanistan commander, Brig.-Gen. David Fraser, was asked by a CTV reporter what he thought about the idea: "Tim Hortons better get its ass over here, as far as I'm concerned."
More on link

The Canadian military delivers the company's supplies to the base franchise where Canadian soldiers and their allies enjoy the fare at prices comparable to those back home. For its part, the company reinvests any profits in the Canadian Forces morale and welfare programs.

For those that have been over, how comparable are the prices, still reasonable or quite jacked up?

Has anybody seen the figures or heard any amounts as to what kind of monies have been reinvested?

Prices were comparable, but no larger size, ie extra large coffee or large icecaps.

Ice Cap is 2.25 USD, large double double is something like 1.50 USD.

I don't drink coffee, only IceCaps, so maybe someone can fill it what the prices are like in Canada?

SuperSlug said:
I don't drink coffee, only IceCaps, so maybe someone can fill it what the prices are like in Canada?

I had a large double double the other day and it rang in at 1.47$ I believe. CAD of course. What exactly does the KAF Timmies offer?

Large Icecap is 3.38 Canadian. Medium is something like 2.50ish I can't recall the small.

I recall a limit having to be put on donut orders. I remember Brits sitting beside Timmie's swallowing dozens of donuts in a sitting.

I also remember an American woman ordering 108 double double coffee's
'Tim Horton's Employee'  Did you order ahead?
'American Soldier' Was I supposed to?

SuperSlug said:

It is snowing here in Ottawa, so I am not sure what an Ice Cap is, but it is rather expensive for a watered down drink and Ontario prices are probably quite comparable in price to what you are paying.  A Large DD in Ottawa is $1.39.

That is something I have never figured out.  I paid $1.35 for a Large DD in Ontario in 2005, and that included PST and GST; yet in Alberta that same year I was paying $1.40 with only PST.

54/102 CEF said:
Isn`t our National Icon actually an American Company?

According to their website, no.  It started in Hamilton, ON.  You might be thinking American because of when it merged with Wendy's?

It is presently owned by Wendys, but they are trying to sell it off.

George Wallace said:
It is snowing here in Ottawa, so I am not sure what an Ice Cap is, but it is rather expensive for a watered down drink and Ontario prices are probably quite comparable in price to what you are paying.  A Large DD in Ottawa is $1.39.

That is something I have never figured out.  I paid $1.35 for a Large DD in Ontario in 2005, and that included PST and GST; yet in Alberta that same year I was paying $1.40 with only PST.

A large DD in BC is $1.49 with GST and PST...

GAP said:
It is presently owned by Wendys, but they are trying to sell it off.

As of 15 sept 2006 Wendy's international distributed the balance of Tim Horton Shares to shareholders on record as a special dividend (that was paid out on 29 sept 2006)

They are on their own now.  As their one and only head office is in Canada, they are 100% Canadian once again.

http://argent.canoe.com/infos/etatsunis/archives/2006/09/20060901-090915.html

Back