• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Toronto military neighbourhood built in 1953 to be dismantled this fall

old medic

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Last houses standing: Toronto military neighbourhood built in 1953 to be dismantled as early as this fall
Joshua Rapp Learn
14 July 2012
http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/07/14/last-houses-standing-toronto-military-neighbourhood-built-in-1953-to-be-dismantled-as-early-as-this-fall/

William Baker Park is like a ghost town. A whole row of empty houses sits with overflowing mailboxes and weathered, unused phone books on the porch. The only sound you can hear other than a passing airplane is the buzz of cicadas and the wind blowing through the thick canopy of mature trees. A deer sits peacefully on the grass between two houses. An emaciated tomcat slinks up a driveway nearby.

This is the last Canadian military housing area in Toronto. It is set to be bulldozed as early as this fall to make way for condos after the military completes its eviction process.

The result is a peaceful, empty neighbourhood that feels like a cottage district outside of tourist season. Weeds overflow from the flower boxes but the lawns are perfectly shaved. Furniture sits on the curb of one house while a sign at the entrance to the neighbourhood reads “All salesmen must be licensed by Canadian Forces Housing Agency.” One of the last residents in the neighbourhood describes it as looking “like one of those nuclear test communities.”

“I’m going to miss it,” says a resident from the Royal Canadian Air Force as movers carry furniture from his duplex into a truck that looked larger than his house. “If you were here two years ago there would be kids running around, riding bicycles,” he says. “It was a really bustling neighbourhood.”.......................

Story continues at link with photos

When Rockliffe was closed out, several pet cats were apparently turned out & left to their own devices, to survive the winter with no food or shelter.  The whole site was fenced off and the humane society wasn't allowed to go in & rescue them.  I was hoping the same hadn't happened in Toronto, but the picture of the cat at the link suggests otherwise. 

Too bad that all the mature trees will likely be bulldozed.  I hope someone takes pictures of this PMQ patch for posterity.

It's a true shame what they're planning to do, but the writing was on the wall for a long time.  I was living in the Q patch from 05 to 07 and attended a town hall where a map was flashed up on the screen - showing the entire patch as a "desert grotto" for the Downsview Park expansion.  That was followed by the announcement that the 75-or-so acres of military housing was going to be downsized to something like 14.  Naturally, the meeting went downhill from there.

Anyways, the house was the size of a shoebox, you had to change the water filters every two weeks, and I had some dude show up on my doorstep at 0300 claiming he had been kidnapped (long story).  Still, it was a crime-free haven in the Jane/Finch downrange impact zone and convenient for getting back and forth to U of T. 

We were all very careful about who was walking through the patch, so I hope they have security on the place now that everybody knows its empty.   

Back