• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tsunami SITREP: Australia

1feral1

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Well, up at 0530h, and heard the news of this earthquake in Chile, which is the next continent east of Queensland.

The island I live on is only 2 metres ASL.

I had planned on getting the Sea-Doo out, as today is the last day of summer. So I went on my routine of launching the beast at the local boat ramp.

After about 1.5 hrs of going as far north as Mission Point, I noticed the tide was 'running in' more angry/furious than normal, and as of 45 mins ago, was the highest I ever seen it, but it is now receeding, which is good.

I was between the island www.bribie.com.au and the mainland and I did not venture into the open ocean, even at best, I will only do that with others, and never alone, such as heading out to another island to the east, called Moreton Island. The water was like glass, smooth and just right for a sea-doo 'mission'. Observed 2 loggerhead turtles, a huge monitor lizzy on the beach and heaps of over excited sea birds. Only a few boats out and noticeably quieter than normal.

More serges and a series of waves are still inbound, and ALL beaches are closed on the east from Cape York to Tasmania. Government sources are not advising anyone to go to the beach. Near NZ, surges of .2 of a metre to 2 metrres have been observed.

See below for the Aussie report...
http://www.news.com.au/tsunami-warning-for-east-coast-of-australia/story-0-1225750594495

OWDU

Thanks for the Info OWDU I was wondering what the situation was looking like down there.  Hope that not sand bags will be needed for you place.  Keep safe.

say safe, I hope aus doesn't get hit.  Kind of off topic OWDU but have you ever been down to Adelaide?

Sorry, never been to Adelaide, thats in SA, and a long way from tropical Queensland, where I live.

if you want to rent a movie shot in Adelaide, find Bad Boy Bubby, a cult film about a bloke who spends most of his life in a room, and then gets out into the real world. Once you screen it, get back to us with a critique.

Regards,

OWDU

Back