• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Turkish nationalists attack USN sailors in Istanbul

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Not quite the shore leave/local liberty that these American sailors were expecting...

If this sentiment constitutes what most of that country thinks, then NATO should think twice about having a member like Turkey that has pro-Islamist leanings or maybe coverty supporting ISIS to suppress their old enemies the Kurds...

Reuters

Turkish nationalists assault U.S. sailors in Istanbul

(Reuters) - A group of Turkish ultra-nationalists attacked three U.S. sailors on a crowded street in Istanbul on Wednesday, shouting "Yankee go home" and trying to pull hoods over their heads in an assault condemned by the U.S. embassy.

Video footage posted on the website of the ultra-nationalist Turkish Youth Union showed the attackers surrounding the sailors, calling them "murderers" and throwing orange paint at the men.

The attackers' actions were an apparent reference to an incident in Iraq in July 2003, when U.S. forces detained a Turkish special forces unit, leading its members away for interrogation with hoods over their heads.

(...SNIPPED)

Hopefully these Turkish punks get what's coming to them...

Reuters

Turkish nationalists charged in assault on U.S. sailors, face long jail sentence
Thu Dec 4, 2014 11:14am EST

ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Thirteen Turkish nationalists accused of assaulting two U.S. sailors in Istanbul could face a decade in prison after being charged with causing insult and injury and violating protest laws, according to an indictment published on Thursday.

Members of the Turkish Youth Union attacked the sailors on a crowded street last month, shouting "Yankee go home", throwing paint at them and trying to pull hoods over their heads. Video footage was later posted on the nationalist group's website.

(...SNIPPED)

S.M.A. said:
Hopefully these Turkish punks get what's coming to them...

Reuters

From the article:
Officials said the three sailors were unharmed and back aboard the U.S. Navy guided-missile destroyer, USS Ross. Shore leave had been cancelled for other U.S. sailors from the ship and the Ross was expected to leave Istanbul on Thursday....A poll by the Pew Research group released at the end of October showed only 19 percent of Turks had a favourable view of the United States.

So the sailors were unharmed, and these "punks" are facing 10 years in prison for this? Whatever your politics, I would argue Turkey shouldn't be in NATO for having ridiculously undemocratic "anti-protest" laws, not because some youth group doesn't appreciate a foreign military presence in their country and feels that assault with paint is a good way to go.

Kilo_302 said:
From the article:
So the sailors were unharmed, and these "punks" are facing 10 years in prison for this? Whatever your politics, I would argue Turkey shouldn't be in NATO for having ridiculously undemocratic "anti-protest" laws, not because some youth group doesn't appreciate a foreign military presence in their country and feels that assault with paint is a good way to go.

You are telling me that the proper way to go about protesting is to fling paint at someone? You must also agree with all the shit that has happened in Ferguson under the just cause of "protesting".

Why do you still visit these forums?

When did I say it was a proper way? It's not, and it's illegal, but it does NOT warrant 10 years in prison. IF the US government was really interested in promoting democracy abroad, they might want to put Turkey under the magnifying glass for these laws.

Nor do I agree with the destruction of property in Ferguson, but that's an unproductive comparison so excuse me while I continue sipping my latte.

I visit these forums because I have an interest in the military, this is "Army.ca" not "proto-fascist reactionary white warrior book club".

Why do you still live in a democracy when you clearly want to live in a Heinlein novel?

Flavus101 said:
You must also agree with all the shit that has happened in Ferguson under the just cause of "protesting".

Why do you still visit these forums?

That's quite the leap.

Kilo_302 said:
When did I say it was a proper way? It's not, and it's illegal, but it does NOT warrant 10 years in prison. IF the US government was really interested in promoting democracy abroad, they might want to put Turkey under the magnifying glass for these laws.

Nor do I agree with the destruction of property in Ferguson, but that's an unproductive comparison so excuse me while I continue sipping my latte.

I visit these forums because I have an interest in the military, this is "Army.ca" not "proto-fascist reactionary white warrior book club".

Why do you still live in a democracy when you clearly want to live in a Heinlein novel?

I'm willing to bet the 10 years figure comes from the maximum sentence for assault, which seems reasonable to me. I doubt they end up getting that much.

Kilo_302 said:

An organized assault and riot against foreigners could get out of control and is not an unreasonable target to be deterred against. A judge having discretion in sentencing of up to 10 years does not sound ridiculous to me, and not having a problem with it neither makes me a fascist nor a racist.

Brasidas said:
An organized assault and riot against foreigners could get out of control and is not an unreasonable target to be deterred against. A judge having discretion in sentencing of up to 10 years does not sound ridiculous to me, and not having a problem with it neither makes me a fascist nor a racist.

:goodpost:

Kilo_302 said:

As you pointed out, we are dealing with a foreign nation with laws DIFFERENT from our own or those of the USA.  Who are you to say what is legal or not?

Name calling on your part because someone contradicts your viewpoint is rather childish and narrow minded.  Perhaps it is not army.ca being a "proto-fascist reactionary white warrior book club", but your inability to change or adapt your views after logical counter arguments have been presented.  :dunno:

Unfortunately the only way to deal with acts like this is to ban future port visits.

Back