• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Update on the LUVW (SMP) Project

• Thread starter SNoseworthy
  • Start date
S

SNoseworthy

Heard back from DND on my inquiry on the status of the SMP program. Just thought I‘d post their reply here in case you wanted to know about the project:

The LUVW program is currently proceeding through the Compliancy
Test Phase scheduled for completion in June 2003. The Test
Phase is taking longer than originally anticipated. Move testing
of the Command and Reconnaissance Variant from Production phase
to Testing phase extended the Test Phase timeline (when all testing
will be completed, the results will be a reduction in risks and
streamlining of the Production Phase)
There have been some delays with the instrumentation and
installation and validation of the Armour Protection System
of the test vehicles.
The current time line for the acquisition of the new LUVW is:

Testing Completed June 2003
Contract Award December 2003
First Vehicle Delivery Summer 2004
Last Vehicle Delivery Winter 2004
Project Cost (SMP portion) $156M

Paul Villeneuve
General Inquiries, D-NET

I heard that the only applicant was the G-Wagon from DaimlerBenz. Is this the same project?

Yes it is, the G-Wagen was the sole competitor left after the rest withdrew, so unofficially it has won the contract. However, it won‘t officially win the contract until it successfully completes all the testing phases, which end in the summer.

But what if the G-Wagen doesn‘t pass the tests?

Umm, I mean, they are doing tests because they don‘t know the answers, right? What if the G-wagen fails these tests?

Then again, isn‘t that what happened with the LSVW?

Very good point, however, with no other vehicle to fall back on, we‘ll probably be getting the G-Wagen even if it doesn‘t pass all the tests...but, so far, I haven‘t heard anything on the G-Wagen not meeting the requirements.

We‘ll keep our fingers crossed then. If the G-wagen turned out to be a lemon (I hope you‘re right that this is not the case), I would presume they would make the necessary fixes before issuing them? Given the list of fixes made to the LS, I think "they" will be living that one down for a long time to come. G-wagen better do everything we need plus make you breakfast in the morning, eh?

Watch out, with our luck, they might make breakfast to, using a flaming engine block as a grill, LMAO!

Back