• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Updated Army Service Dress project

Bingo. Technology changes very quickly these days.
This is why the trend is moving away from the traditional 10 year linear Cap Dev to a staggered 3-4 incremental "Spiral" Cap Dev. The projects will basically stay at "IOC+" as the newer tech is released into the projects. There is no "close out" per se... in that the SORs are written to allow for incremental changes within the life of the requirement (vice life of the project) to adjust for technological advances.

Hopefully no more TCCCS fiascos will result because of it.

Now you've caused me to remember a radio so hard for the common soldier to use it was ridiculous. Is that the nightmare you are referring to?
Yes. That fiasco.

I trained on that system as a wee Siggie in 2007, as all components were finally integrated after they drafted the MID in checks notes 1999. It was clunky, used obsolete topologies/software, and was definitely not user friendly (even for us Jimmies).

Perfect example of Procurement delivering yesterday's technology tomorrow and the CAF getting boned for it.

Any word on parade boots staying black? Or will we have two separate boots for different dress states?

Any word on parade boots staying black? Or will we have two separate boots for different dress states?
What other colour would they be? I can't see them changing the parade boots, even if I wished them to be a better quality boot.

What other colour would they be? I can't see them changing the parade boots, even if I wished them to be a better quality boot.
Now you have done it. Given the good ideas fairies an opportunity for purple boots to go along with the purple hair of our recruits!

What other colour would they be?
Brown?
1428px-Uni-UK-OR-selction-York.svg.png

Yes. That fiasco.

I trained on that system as a wee Siggie in 2007, as all components were finally integrated after they drafted the MID in checks notes 1999. It was clunky, used obsolete topologies/software, and was definitely not user friendly (even for us Jimmies).

Perfect example of Procurement delivering yesterday's technology tomorrow and the CAF getting boned for it.
I can't remember the exact dates but I think it was the winter of 1991/92 when THE key TCCCS procurement, design and standards decision was made ... can you say Mazankowski?

The return to a British Army uniform will be a wonderful way to prove Trudeau's point that we are a nation without our own national identity.
Or conversely returning to a uniform of the style but of different colour and form shows were a proud Commonwealth country with traditions as a realm. I mean by that definition the US military has no distinct identity, most of their uniforms throughout history are inspired by what the British wore. Including their most iconic ones like the Marine Dress Blues.

Last edited:
Keeping the boots black with that uniform would look pretty bad. Seems like brown would be the way to go.

The return to a British Army uniform will be a wonderful way to prove Trudeau's point that we are a nation without our own national identity.
I can imagine a few opinion pieces about our failed culture change proven by our adoption of a uniform reminiscent of a time the military was non-inclusive.

…I mean, the Navy does it…

But I’d think that the shoes/boots would match the Sam Browne belt, if it’s still a proposed item.

I can't remember the exact dates but I think it was the winter of 1991/92 when THE key TCCCS procurement, design and standards decision was made ... can you say Mazankowski?
Wasn't that "we gave the CF18 maintenance to Quebec, let's give the radio contract to a company out west"? Then the company went under due to ForEx losses, got bought out, and delivered materially fewer radios than the original contract for materially more money?

Good times...

Or conversely returning to a uniform of the style but of different colour and form shows were a proud Commonwealth country with traditions as a realm. I mean by that definition the US military has no distinct identity, most of their uniforms throughout history are inspired by what the British wore. Including their most iconic ones like the Marine Dress Blues.
There are only so many iterations of uniform that you can practically have without some folks complaining that it doesn’t look “military”. Pretty much all navies of the world fall under either the British “style”, the French “style” (and that’s really only a matter of how the ranks look), or the Soviet “style”. I would also argue that a military can have a similar uniform to another one, but a very different identity.

The USSF’s “Battlestar Galactica” uniform is a great example of a service trying to create its own distinct identity but getting flak for it.

1710334982095.jpeg

^^
A little more Starship Troopers than Battlestar Galactica (ya colours reversed)
1710338194740.png

The boots are remaining black, but there is a new, better quality boot coming. Sam Browne is also a go.
In olden times wasn't it brown shoes for officers and black parade boots for NCMs? In any event, unless they're going with a black Sam Browne for officers, surely they'd be going with brown shoes.

We have worn British style uniforms for a good part of our history. The current green ones were inspired by an attempt to make us look American. Looking back historically these new uniforms look a lot more Canadian than our current ones.

Either way, I'll be clearly identified as the King's soldier.

Back