• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US vs. Iran

Daft,

The writer of the article, Ian Welsh, cites that part of his article concerning US plans to attack Iran to a person named 'Hersh'.

Do you know if this is Seymour Hersh and do you have access to Hersh's original article?

Dan.

Yes Seymour Hersh a died in the wool communist and member of the MSM conspiracy club.

OK, enough ribald humour. Here he is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seymour_Hersh

Seymour (Sy) Myron Hersh (born April 8, 1937 Chicago) is an American Pulitzer Prize winning investigative journalist and author based in Washington, DC. He is a regular contributor to The New Yorker magazine on military and security matters.

His work first gained worldwide recognition in 1969 for exposing the My Lai massacre and its cover-up during the Vietnam War, for which he received the 1970 Pulitzer Prize for International Reporting. His 2004 reports on the US military's mistreatment of detainees at Abu Ghraib prison gained much attention.

Hersh received the 2004 George Polk Award for Magazine Reporting[1] given annually by Long Island University to honor contributions to journalistic integrity and investigative reporting. This was his fifth George Polk Award, the first one being a Special Award given to him in 1969.

In 2006 he reported on the US military's plans for Iran, which allegedly called for the use of nuclear weapons against that country.[2]

Daft,

I've found the original article by Hersh (T6 was right, it is Seymour M Hersh of My Lai fame) about the US plans to attack Iran that Ian Welsh cited on 'The Agonist' site.  It's from the upcoming Oct 8, 2007, issue of 'The New Yorker' and titled 'Shifting Targets'.

Interestingly, Hersh has been writing a series of 'the US is preparing to attack / invade / nuke / destabilize / etc Iran' for at least the last two years or so.  He gets a lot of press attention and is a regular on the political talk show circuit.

The White House has responded to the article with the following:

QUOTE:
White House dismisses report of Iran attack plans
by Mark Silva

The White House today is dismissing the report of a seasoned journalist that the Bush administration, intent on attacking Iran, has shifted its target from a developing nuclear program in Iran to the supply lines of Iranians reinforcing insurgent fighters inside Iraq.

Writer Seymour Hersh says so in The New Yorker, citing a number of confidential sources.

"Every two months or so, Sy Hersh writes an article in the New Yorker magazine and CNN gives him a forum to talk about his article and all the anonymous sources on it,'' Dana Perino, the White House press secretary, said today, insisting that President Bush still maintains that diplomacy is "the best solution'' for settling differences with Iran.

She declined to address, however, the basic contention that U.S. miltary planners and intelligence gathers have turned their focus to a "shifting target'' in Iran.

"We don’t discuss such things,'' she said. "What we have said is that we are working toward a diplomatic solution in Iran… What we also have said is that the president, and any commander in chief would, not take any option off the table.

"I’m not going to comment on any possible scenario that an anonymous source continues to feed into Sy Hersh,'' she said -- also resisting repeated questions about whether the president would attack Iran without seeking congressional approval. "We are pursuing a diplomatic solution in Iran.''
UNQUOTE.

While I'm not willing to believe everything from the White House, I'm also leery of press writers with sensational stories backed up by anonymous sources.

Dan.

Back