• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Use of CF badges on civilian clothing

Santini

Inactive
Reaction score
Greetings,

After an unsuccessful search through the site, I was wondering what is the regulation (if any) on the use of CF badges in civilian clothing (baseball hats, t-shirts, jackets)?. More than to "walts"  :facepalm: to display support for a unit :yellow:; Is there any regulation on the commercial distribution of such items? (any "literature" I should check out?) Thank you again for sharing your hard earned knowledge.

Regards,

I believe you will find that all CF crests and badges are considered to be under copyright tl the Crown and as such any commercial use of them must be authorized.

Almost everything is sold freely and openly online from a variety of manufacturers and distributors. I doubt that anything serious would result.

HOWEVER - wear one or more and expect somebody, somewhere, sometime to ask you where and when you served with that/those unit(s) and then take offence when you confess that you did not.

As SL stated, the CF has copyright on all unit insignia and badges. The control is typically proxied to the CO\OC of the unit concerned. I have seen stock confiscated from people who had things produced without the consent of the unit involved.

If you want a unit ball cap or such, purchase it from an authorized store\ unit kit shop. However, heed Loachman's advice.

With regard to DND taking action to protect against other profiting from intellectual property, this is the one case that I am aware of:

http://militaryinsignia.blogspot.ca/2010/08/canadian-armed-forces-badge.html

[Edited on September 26, 2011] [At the time of this writing, the Canadian Department of National Defense have fully succeeded at their war on unauthorized use of Canadian military insignia in North America. As a result, all my Canadian designs have been removed from each and every POD, just as I predicted would eventually happen. Regretfully, this blog became the only place where my Canadian military insignia can be seen and enjoyed.

http://militaryinsignia.blogspot.ca/2011/06/canadian-department-of-national-defence.html

Ref:A-DH-265-000/AG-001,2-1-14,Para:48

UNLAWFUL AND LAWFUL USE OF MILITARY
UNIFORMS

48. Under Section 419 of the Criminal Code of
Canada, everyone who, without lawful authority, the
proof of which lies upon him:

a. wears a uniform of the Canadian Forces, or
of any other navy, army, or air force, or a
uniform that is so similar to the uniform of
any of those forces that it is likely to be
mistaken therefore;

b. wears a distinctive mark relating to wounds
received, or service performed in war; wears
a military medal, ribbon, badge, chevron, or
any decoration or order that is awarded for
war services, or any imitation thereof; or
wears any mark or device or thing that is
likely to be mistaken for any such mark,
medal, ribbon, badge, chevron, decoration or
order;
-------------------------------------------------------------
Hope that help

Edit: link to the section 419
http://yourlaws.ca/criminal-code-canada/419-unlawful-use-military-uniforms-or-certificates

Back