• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

V4 qualified for NBP?

MEM_12

Inactive
Reaction score
I've searched the forums and can't seem to find an answer to a question concerning my eligibility to join a naval boarding party. I've been accepted for a marine engineering mechanic position and my program starts in June. I realize that I won't be joining a boarding party any time soon either way, but when the time comes that I'm sufficiently trained for my primary trade would my V4 class eyesight bar me from potential NBP training? This is my first post and any insights would be greatly appreciated.

I have no idea, but you *might* find some info here:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/health-sante/pd/default-eng.asp

If you are trades qualified, reasonabley fit, pass the small arms test and your department will allow you to join the team you are in.

The intranet site of Canadian Forces Fleet School Esquimalt lists the following as pre-requisites:

Pre-requisites
Again, you are urged to ensure that you are equipped with all required clothing items and that your uniforms are in excellent condition.   
  6. Once member has been nominated, you must meet the following pre-requisites and have the individual checklist (attached at the end of the Joining Instructions) completed before attending the course.
a. be adept at weapons handling drills and have qualified in C7 Rifle IAW Marcord 9-2 Annex A.
b. be rank of OS to PO1 for NCM, SLT to LCdr for officers,
c. have served a minimum of one year at sea in a ship,
d. not suffer from a fear of heights or claustrophobia;
e. have no known allergic reaction to Oleoresin Capsicum (Pepper Spray); and
f.     be qualified AINX (NETP including the OJT program).
In addition you must posses a high level of physical fitness, stamina and agility and a Medical Officer or Physicians Assistant must have screened you. Members that have been loaded on the spare list should have all aforementioned completed and report as per joining instructions. Members are to be in possession of the completed checklist for the first day of course or they will be RTU.

You must be physically fit, but there is no particular requirement for a vision category. Presumeably, they'll let you wear your glasses :)

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I may end up getting corrective surgery done anyways but it's good to know I'll probably be alright either way (pending my department's authorization). One more question though: what does it mean to be AINX qualified?

MEM_12 said:
One more question though: what does it mean to be AINX qualified?

Having completed the Naval Environmental Training Plan, including the on the job components. The ashore components are done at either the Canadian Forces Fleet School Esquimalt, or at the Canadian Forces Naval Operations School, in Halifax. They last 26 days.

The OJT component is done aboad one of HMC Ships, and is scheduled to last for 90 days.

Typically, the ashore component is done immediately after completion of BMQ, whereas the OJT portion is deferred until after completion of your trades training, once you have been posted to your first ship.

Back