• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VA rehabilitation and vocational program

3VPspecialty

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everyone, a short about me, six years in the infantry serving 3PPCLI in Edmonton. One tour to Afghanistan in 2011-2012. Ended service 2013.

Anyway, onto my question. I have been informed by a fellow veteran about the VOC rehabilitation program offered through Veterans Affairs.

I have just completed the paperwork and handed it in at my local VA office.
In case you are wondering I includes

Depression - anxiety (possible PTSD?)
Drug and Alcohol problems
Shoulder injury - (for which surgery was performed while in the military)

Before I left I applied for services to do with my shoulder but was denied and didn't really care, or think anything of it since I was breathing the glorifies civi air.

My question is general in that, who has used this program and assistance and what for/ what was it like??
How long did it take to see action?
Are you receiving Earnings Loss Benifits??

Any help on this subject would be great! Just trying to prepare for  anything.

3VPspecialty said:
Hey everyone, a short about me, six years in the infantry serving 3PPCLI in Edmonton. One tour to Afghanistan in 2011-2012. Ended service 2013.

Anyway, onto my question. I have been informed by a fellow veteran about the VOC rehabilitation program offered through Veterans Affairs.

I have just completed the paperwork and handed it in at my local VA office.
In case you are wondering I includes

Depression - anxiety (possible PTSD?)
Drug and Alcohol problems
Shoulder injury - (for which surgery was performed while in the military)

Before I left I applied for services to do with my shoulder but was denied and didn't really care, or think anything of it since I was breathing the glorifies civi air.

My question is general in that, who has used this program and assistance and what for/ what was it like??
How long did it take to see action?
Are you receiving Earnings Loss Benifits??

Any help on this subject would be great! Just trying to prepare for  anything.

A few questions for you:

You said you just completed the paperwork... what paperwork?
What was your release article?
Do you have an approved pensionable injury / condition for which you are receiving a monthly disability pension or have received a lump sum award?

I guess I could have been more specific.

The paperwork being the 22 or so pages that you can either print at home or have sent to you.

I was not medically released nor did they think my shoulder injury required any payment/service (I will fight that one)

I am asking for help with my mental issues as well as help with getting back to work(courses or schooling)

I didn't know about this program until a few veteran friends told me about it and that they are on it. Receiving ELB as well as schooling for work upgrades. There issues are close to mine so I figured why not try.

The only thing like a stupid grunt I didn't mention my depression or alcohol issues while serving so don't know how that will pan out.

I'm just asking for general info on the program.

Ok, so i'm still a tad lost on this "paperwork"... are you referring to the application for disability award / benefit? If this is the case, this is your starting point considering you were not released medically. Point to remember - in a vast majority of cases VAC will deny your application(s). Do not fret here. Appeal appeal appeal!

Were you given copies of all your med docs? I truly hope so as this will make things a little easier for you.

In order for VAC to look at you for voc-rehab you need to have an awarded condition. If in 4 years you win, you go back and apply for the VAC VRPSM. It's upwards of $80,000 in education grants and such. Key here is "an awarded, pensionable injury or condition".

I think (don't quote me) SISIP gives up the ghost after 2 years of your release date. Give them a call and see. Further to that, keep battling with VAC until you get some positive results. They are there to help, however their hands are tied when it comes to how the help is justified.

You can also contact the Veteran's Affairs Ombudsman. There may be directions you can go with their help as well.

All that said, I have to question your release procedure. You should have been given transition interviews, SCAN seminar (hey, that's another idea - you may still be eligible to go on one of those in your area... check with your release section) a release interview and many other options... were you not afforded these things?

You can go see a release clerk on any base (preferably the base you released on) at any time and ask any questions. Also the BPSO office is there too!

BinRat55 said:
Ok, so i'm still a tad lost on this "paperwork"... are you referring to the application for disability award / benefit? If this is the case, this is your starting point considering you were not released medically. Point to remember - in a vast majority of cases VAC will deny your application(s). Do not fret here. Appeal appeal appeal!

Were you given copies of all your med docs? I truly hope so as this will make things a little easier for you.

In order for VAC to look at you for voc-rehab you need to have an awarded condition. If in 4 years you win, you go back and apply for the VAC VRPSM. It's upwards of $80,000 in education grants and such. Key here is "an awarded, pensionable injury or condition".

I think (don't quote me) SISIP gives up the ghost after 2 years of your release date. Give them a call and see. Further to that, keep battling with VAC until you get some positive results. They are there to help, however their hands are tied when it comes to how the help is justified.

You can also contact the Veteran's Affairs Ombudsman. There may be directions you can go with their help as well.

All that said, I have to question your release procedure. You should have been given transition interviews, SCAN seminar (hey, that's another idea - you may still be eligible to go on one of those in your area... check with your release section) a release interview and many other options... were you not afforded these things?

You can go see a release clerk on any base (preferably the base you released on) at any time and ask any questions. Also the BPSO office is there too!

Hey, once again sorry if I haven't been helpful.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/transition/rehabilitation/services

This is the link to the services I have applied for, and downloaded the PDF to hand into my local VA it is roughly 22 pages and covers the rehabilitation program and vocational assistance as well as earnings loss benifits and medical coverage.

Thank you, I hope this helps.

From your link:

Do I qualify?

You may qualify for rehabilitation services if you are a Veteran of the Canadian Armed Forces who:
•has medically-released within the last 120 days; or
•has any health problem resulting from your military service that is making it difficult for you to adjust to life at home, in your community or at work.

You may qualify for vocational assistance services if you are:
•the spouse or common-law partner of an eligible Veteran who is not taking part in vocational rehabilitation due to his or her health problem; or
•the survivor of a Canadian Armed Forces Veteran whose death was related to his or her service.

If you are going to be releasing from the Canadian Armed Forces in the near future, you can apply for the Program before you release. If you are made eligible for the Program, the effective date will be the day after the day you release.

Have you released medically within 120 days?

No.

Do you have any health problems resulting from your military service that is making it difficult for you to adjust to life at home, in your community or at work?

This is what I am saying - you have to apply for disability through VAC first.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but the info you have given is that you were NOT released medically, and almost 3 years ago. Erego, VAC has to recognise the MEDICAL aspect of your issues first and foremost.

Yes this program is for people medically released and who may have issues from their military career.

I will obviously need to be evaluated by a medical professional by VA but in my mind my issues stem from my time in. It's the transition services to help with program upgrading that I am looking to take advantage of.

I just wanted to know if anyone has used this service.

I am actually in the process of beginning the process. If plan A doesn't pan out, my ducks are in a row for the VAC voc-rehab.

I'm in this boat too hope to be taking the Voc rehab have not taken anything through SISIP. 3VP I've been asking the same question but can't seem to find anyone that's been through the process.

Teager said:
I'm in this boat too hope to be taking the Voc rehab have not taken anything through SISIP. 3VP I've been asking the same question but can't seem to find anyone that's been through the process.

Thanks just keep us updated and I'll detail my process as well.
You are also right, the friends I know who have taken it are RCR and it's basically a wait and see approach to know if you are qualified. But I believe it is around to help the lesser civi minded trades such as the infantry to help us with integration into the workplace society since our skills are only really settled for being a labourer, though we do make damn good labourer. I push a broom like no other.

Back