• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Vermont Restaraunts Busted For Bad Tipper Tax

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
http://screen.yahoo.com/vermont-restaurants-busted-for-canadian-tax-30453774.html?pb_list=23dce613-c500-43f0-9134-70e58b73187a

Vermont Restaurants Busted For “Canadian Tax”

20 hours ago - 2:00

Well Vermonters, it was gratuitous while it lasted. Before getting exposed by a local newspaper, servers at Burlington restaurants would customarily tack on an automatic 18% gratuity for suspected French-Canadian tourists. The practice apparently went by the weird and uncomfortable sounding name of “Queeb tax”. Now that this xenophobic policy has been uncovered, we think of other creative ways to deal with unruly restaurant customers.

I dont like Vermont much anyway.It must have been hard for them to determine who the French Canadians were.

Having been to East Burke (as an anglo mountain biker to Kingdom Trails, amazing trail network if you like cycling at all), it was almost like the entire town filled up with Quebec plates for the weekend. I don't know how my fellow canadians tipped, but I always found the service there to be top notch, whether it was at an Italian restaurant in St Johnsbury or your average corner store, and they deserved what we gave them. If I received the sort of service I do on the Gatineau side of the water when I'm with my anglo girlfriend (until I speak french to them of course), I wouldnt tip very much either, but my experience in Vermont has been the total opposite.

If they were constantly getting poor tips but providing excellent service I can understand why this might have been done.  Doesn't justify it, just saying I can understand.

Still done in poor taste though.

Ran into this in Florida, God they hate Quebecers in the restaurants there.  Also, some servers I know in NS say the same, nobody wants a table of Quebecers.  Loud, over demanding and poor tippers seems to be the common complaint.  It is interesting because in Quebec tipping well seems to be expected!

fraserdw said:
  Loud, over demanding and poor tippers seems to be the common complaint.  It is interesting because in Quebec tipping well seems to be expected!

Exactly what I was about to say.

fraserdw said:
Ran into this in Florida, God they hate Quebecers in the restaurants there.  Also, some servers I know in NS say the same, nobody wants a table of Quebecers.  Loud, over demanding and poor tippers seems to be the common complaint.  It is interesting because in Quebec tipping well seems to be expected!
Maybe because they're at home, taking care of their own.  You don't crap in your own nest, ces't pas.  (sorry could not resist the temptation of a stinky pun  :D)

fraserdw said:

Heard the same thing during the Winnipeg floods of '97.

That was a "discrimination" tax. I am from QC (city that is) and my tip level is 20%, never lower than 17% (min is 15% in QC) if service is good than it goes up. No matter in which province/state/country I am in. There is apparently a bad reputation for us in restaurants. But than again we could ask bar owners on "La Grande Allée" in Quebec City if they like the Ontario students during March break.  They are people all around who don't know how to behave and act as ambassadors.

Now I could  also discriminate and tell you from which QC region those poor tippers come from  ;D

Etienne said:
That was a "discrimination" tax. I am from QC (city that is) and my tip level is 20%, never lower than 17% (min is 15% in QC) if service is good than it goes up. No matter in which province/state/country I am in. There is apparently a bad reputation for us in restaurants. But than again we could ask bar owners on "La Grande Allée" in Quebec City if they like the Ontario students during March break.  They are people all around who don't know how to behave and act as ambassadors.

Now I could  also discriminate and tell you from which QC region those poor tippers come from  ;D

Tipping for good service is a polite thing to do.  A demand by servers for a tip in order to give service is an insult.  A tip for poor/bad/none existant service is out of the question -- not likely to happen.

fraserdw said:
  It is interesting because in Quebec tipping well seems to be expected!
Not Expected allready prebuilt into the bill. I no longer stop in Que to eat as I'm sick of paying for crap service. I tip for good service not for service.

Back