• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Vet hunger striking at VAC HQ

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Fabien Melanson says he is willing to die on a hunger strike on Charlottetown to protest what he alleges was a mistake made by Veterans Affairs Canada which has cost him his home and nearly his life.

The 15-year Canadian veteran is beginning a hunger strike in front of the VAC headquarters today to bring attention to his case.

“They (Veterans Affairs) killed me in 2004 with their mistake and now all I have is the energy to bring myself here and give them my remains,” he said. “That’s all that’s left of me. I’m willing to die for this.”

Melanson is demanding an apology and adequate compensation for an error made by VAC in 2004.

Melanson saw his benefits deposited into someone else’s bank account in Sept. 2004. Despite repeated contact with VAC, his situation continued for months, eventually costing him his house.

The situation worsened when the stress of dealing with VAC brought back his post tramautic stress disorder, a condition which resulted in his discharge from the armed forces.

Melanson later attempted suicide in Dec. 2004.

By the time the issue with the bank account number was solved in Jan. 2005, Melanson said his health had severely deteriorated ....
A bit more in the PEI Guardian here.

milnews.ca said:
A bit more in the PEI Guardian here.

I feel like I am not getting the whole story here on the surface it should seem like a no brainer.  If the man was wronged give a Mea Culpa pay him what he is owed and move on.  I think there is more here than what the one article indicated. 

Reading some of the comments from the PEI Guardian some are bringing up he should be paid under the old system due to the timeline of his injury.  But he didn't report it until the new system was in place.  I cant stand the new system and thinks it does a disservice to everyone but until it gets changed it is what we have.  I would have more sympathy if he tied it into changing or reforming what we have now.

helpup said:
I would have more sympathy if he tied it into changing or reforming what we have now.

Seriously? Such an ignorant statement. Even though you are probably right and there is more to the story, to say he doesn't deserve sympathy simply because he is currently more concerned with his own problems then anyone elses? He's lost his house and his health and all you care about is your own selfishness of changing a system in case you might need to use it one day? Yes it does need to be changed but wow so selfish its made me so mad I can't even get my thoughts across right now.

It would sure be nice to read that the Veterans Ombudsman Office was involved somehow - but hey, who knows.

Sythen said:
to say he doesn't deserve sympathy

To be fair, helpup did not say that the guy deserved no sympathy. He said the guy would have gotten more sympathy if.......

One thing I have learned is that nothing is whatever it seems, especially issues that are dealt with in the media.

And yes I have learned more than one thing. ;)

I commend him for taking a peaceful approach to the matter. Well done.

VAC is the hardest bunch of people to deal with in the world. Unless your ontop of them daily acting like a beggar (and feeling like one) you will be shuffled unjder the pile. I have PTSD as well and although I havent been slighted like this man  Ican assure you if it wasnt for my wife I just would have quit even bothering to get a pension for my many injuries.

A bit of a tangent, but a couple of quick tales about dealing with VAC.

My uncle coming back from WWII, an LAC in the air force received next to nothing until a few years ago. (wasn't getting shot at on a regular basis)

My father in law back from WWII, a Regina Rifle, occupation force, so he wasn't getting shot at on a regular basis, received nothing until a few years ago.

My wife's uncle back from WWII, a sapper, in the thick of it through the Scheldt, receives nothing.

Myself, some hearing loss, got a token amount lump sum payment. I continue to go through round after round of endless repetative, bureaucratic, demeaning paperwork.

All of these people, including myself, have decided that no amount of pension money received from VAC is worth the loss of self respect and humiliation to endure the bureaucratic sh!t and the implied beggaring necessary to receive a just disability pension.

I personally view receiving EI in the same light.

I thought it was just me they made feel like a beggar,.....

Looks like a pattern. I had an MRI of a busted spine and still it was crappy. Thank God DND cleaned up it's act and got me some decent physio. 2005 was a really bad year to get hurt. The Screw New Veterans Charter is a real slap in the face. The best thing to do till they fix it is don't release.

It seems to me that when a person has to go to extremes to make their point, the system is broken.

We - the vets - need a spokesman of some repute.

Jim Seggie said:
It seems to me that when a person has to go to extremes to make their point, the system is broken.

We - the vets - need a spokesman of some repute.

I agree Jim.

I thought we had one....but now I think they only make noise when their appointments are up.

MJP said:
I agree Jim.

I thought we had one....but now I think they only make noise when their appointments are up.

He was good, but a tactician.....and a bit abrasive. The lace panty folk don't like "abrasive".

I'm thinking a former CDS of some repute should stand up and be counted........

Jim Seggie said:
I'm thinking a former CDS of some repute should stand up and be counted........

Jean Boyle ? He was of some repute was he not ?

;D

The Minister's response in Question Period:
Mr. Sean Casey (Charlottetown, Lib.):  Mr. Speaker, Fabien Melanson, a 15-year Canadian veteran who served twice overseas, has started a hunger strike in front of the Department of Veterans Affairs in my riding of Charlottetown. He suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder.  Mr. Melanson has tried to have government take ownership of the trouble created when a clerical error caused a lapse in his benefits.  My question is for the Minister of Veterans Affairs. What will the government do to ensure that this veteran gets the compassionate treatment he so rightly deserves?

Hon. Steven Blaney (Minister of Veterans Affairs, CPC):  Mr. Speaker, I congratulate the member on his recent appointment.  As the member is aware, under the Privacy Act, I cannot discuss the specific details of this individual case. However, I was given a mandate by the people of Lévis—Bellechasse and today, as the Minister of Veterans Affairs, I commit myself to bettering the lives of our veterans, and I count on the support of all members in the House, starting today.  What took place many years ago was unfortunate and was an unacceptable mistake. Corrective measures were taken. I have instructed my officials to follow up on this veteran's case—

Sythen said:
Seriously? Such an ignorant statement. Even though you are probably right and there is more to the story, to say he doesn't deserve sympathy simply because he is currently more concerned with his own problems then anyone else? He's lost his house and his health and all you care about is your own selfishness of changing a system in case you might need to use it one day? Yes it does need to be changed but wow so selfish its made me so mad I can't even get my thoughts across right now.

Are you sure you read what I said.... more sympathy does not equate no sympathy.  And I thought I did mention that I was ignorant much as most of us are as to all the facts.  Nice to hear you figure my thoughts are selfish though, I really didn't see that at all nor did I intend it when I posted it.  Nor did I allude that I wanted it for me.  I have too many young soldiers who are blowing their money away on toys and instant gratification rather then investing it.  That I would like to see changed.  Enjoy being mad though next time try reading my post

You guys quit derailing the thread with your petty arguements.

Milnet.ca Staff

helpup said:
Are you sure you read what I said.... more sympathy does not equate no sympathy.  And I thought I did mention that I was ignorant much as most of us are as to all the facts.  Nice to hear you figure my thoughts are selfish though, I really didn't see that at all nor did I intend it when I posted it.  Nor did I allude that I wanted it for me.  I have too many young soldiers who are blowing their money away on toys and instant gratification rather then investing it.  That I would like to see changed.  Enjoy being mad though next time try reading my post

This is the largest flaw with the system. When I read this story I wondered how someone, who was still a serving member receiving a paycheck, could lose his house because his VAC payment got screwed up. There is obviously more to the story than being reported, but it wouldn't be as sensational if the back story turned up he lost his house through poor financial management, which also may have contributed to the relapse of PTSD.

However, I agree that we need someone to stand up for CF members' (past and present) rights with respect to VAC. It would be a difficult task though to find someone who is knowledgeable enough, vocal enough, and nonpartisan enough to get the job done.

captloadie said:
This is the largest flaw with the system. When I read this story I wondered how someone, who was still a serving member receiving a paycheck, could lose his house because his VAC payment got screwed up. There is obviously more to the story than being reported, but it wouldn't be as sensational if the back story turned up he lost his house through poor financial management, which also may have contributed to the relapse of PTSD.

However, I agree that we need someone to stand up for CF members' (past and present) rights with respect to VAC. It would be a difficult task though to find someone who is knowledgeable enough, vocal enough, and nonpartisan enough to get the job done.

You forgot politically connected enough.

I also agree that no matter the back story, his treatment by VAC should be investigated to the fullest and, if sustained, heads at VAC should roll. If these people start getting fired for incompetence and stonewalling, perhaps the rest will start taking veteren's cases seriously.

recceguy said:
I also agree that no matter the back story, his treatment by VAC should be investigated to the fullest and, if sustained, heads at VAC should roll. If these people start getting fired for incompetence and stonewalling, perhaps the rest will start taking veteren's cases seriously.

Amen

Back