• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Veterans love today's field rations

dimsum

Army.ca Myth
Mentor
Reaction score
http://www.canada.com/components/print.aspx?id=897d12aa-13ad-44e0-a9fe-b1a661b8c445&k=41239

"EDMONTON - Two old vets dip forks into the field rations eaten by today's Canadian Army, pronounce it finger lickin' good and grin as they recall the grub they got 64 years ago.

"I'm like a kid at Christmas," says 88-year-old Bill Teleske, who served as a private in the Loyal Edmonton Regiment."

Methinks they didn't get the "Baked Cherry Dessert AKA Discus".  ;D

Excellent article.
Two characters too I think. ;)
Imagine throwing hard tack and a can of slop to a young guy now after a battle ?

Like my father use to say:"That was back in the time when ships were made of wood and men were made of steel"

So we finally find out who is testing the rations  ;D with the passing grade based on: was it better then when you were in?  ;D

Good article all the same

I find this totally humourous, since my Grandfather who served in the Italian Alpiners during WWII would often make me eat my food when I was young with crazy stories of what he had to eat and how infrequent it was in the Italian Army.  He also instilled in me the belief that I had to eat fast, "cause the army didn't wait for me to eat my bread"; now I instinctively finish my meals ridiculously quickly for no apparent reason.  Though I'm sure some is hyperbole (he is certainly known for it), some of his food stories were real eye openers.  It certainly gave me the impression the Italian military was woefully under equipped at the time.

None-the-less, a good article! ;D

Our C-Rats cases had 1943 stamped on them....that was always a constant source of amusement, but we didn't starve. IMP's were just coming out to the US Army units and like these guys, we thought we had died and gone to heaven..... :)

Between my enrollment in 1970 and today, I have seen many generations of Ration packs.  Some were good, some left something to be desired.... but we are light years ahead of what was being served in the 40s 50s & 60s.

Many a WW2 vets talk about their rations during their years in England.... Mutton, Mutton and more mutton............. Yetch

Yes I miss my powdered tea, cold bacon in a tin and something resembling butter from a tube....

Ooooh...
Cocktain weiners,
Sardines,
BIG box of crackers,
Jumbalaya :p
Cheese in a tin,
Butter & Honey in a tube (yeah - different Rat pack)
Nifty large, medium or small can opener - which we'd secure to the thong of our Russell boat knife
Fuel tablets :p

Heh.... think I still have a box of em somewhere in the basement.
The little one is still attached to my Boat knife...

My wife was baffled when we were camping & she could not find what she calls the "real" can opener & I handed over the knife..... she looked at the knife blade and was looking at me like I was demented.  "you want me to open this can with this knife?" "are you nuts?"
(answer in another thread ;) )

After which I whiped thru the can with my trusty can opener :)

DannyD said:
... and boiled Brussels sprout...

I suspect that there is an entire generation of those of us who, as children of WW2 vets. led a Mutton and Brussel's Sprouts deprived childhood.  My Dad, who spent 3 years in England,  wouldn't let them in the house so I don't think I first tasted them until I was 18.   

As for early '70s era RP-4's, wasn't Menu 3 like drawing the 9 of hearts or does it just seem that way to me because that was the only Menu we seemed to get time and time again?

During the war in the UK the Brussels Sprout was one of the basic food groups. Seriously, because of severe rationing the British Medical Association reported that obesity had been eliminated as a medical condition.

I used to go crazy for the tinned bacon in the IRPs. You cracked the lid (ring pull), and you cooked it on the spot. It was pre cooked if I remember right too. Then ther was a variety of SELLECT brand corned beef etc - eeeeew!

Cheers,

Wes

Sure it wasn't Puritan Corn Beef Wes. I was that "one guy" who liked it ( I also loved the IMP ham omlette) and still pick it up at  the store now and then for a quick meal.  i'd nver trade my bacon for it though 8)

Late seventies early eighties.
I also liked the canned ham & egg omlette. Could easily trade a chicken stew for it and also get all their ketchup and some cheese or peanut butter also. The canned bacon was also great. The solid tin of ham wasn't bad either. Now there was also the condemned fruit cocktail. :eek: How about the instant mashed potatoes? As long as I had lots of ketchup & salt and pepper I didn't mind them.

I used to love the cheese and crackers ,square ritz yumm!
At times it seemed to be the only edible item in the damned box!I'd rather not even discuss box lunches out of CFB Winnipeg

Remember the big "shoebox" one day ration packs of the 1970-1973 timeframe?
all these little individual portion cans of this and that.... 3 meals distributed to you in one shot.

geo said:
Remember the big "shoebox" one day ration packs of the 1970-1973 timeframe?
all these little individual portion cans of this and that.... 3 meals distributed to you in one shot.
Oh well so much for supper tonight,  for some ..*urp* reason I'm not too hungry?

Back