• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Vets Ombudsman: "Time to reconsider service delivery at Veterans Affairs"

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Interesting proposal from the 'Budman here.  He's calling for a streamlining of how much scrutiny each and every file gets.  This bit makes it make some sense to me (highlights mine) ....
.... How would Canadians like it if the Canadian Revenue Agency made no presumptions when citizens file their income tax return? If they weren’t afforded some presumptions it would be a long, drawn out process for everyone with an audit on all of their filed information before a decision could be made. We’re talking months, if not years, on the adjudication of one tax year alone. I don’t think many Canadians would be happy with this scenario. Do you? So, why are Veterans subjected to such scrutiny by the Veterans Affairs Canada’s service delivery application process?

I suggest that Veterans Affairs Canada adopts a system similar to that used for the Canada Pension Plan, Employment Insurance, or the Canada Revenue Agency whereby if the documentation criteria are met, benefits are provided and periodic audits are done on files to ensure quality control and to detect any fraudulent applications. In fact, this approach is already being used by Veterans Affairs Canada in some areas of service delivery, such as health-related travel  or the Veterans Independence Program, so why not for the application process of other benefits? ....

milnews.ca said:
Interesting proposal from the 'Budman here.  He's calling for a streamlining of how much scrutiny each and every file gets.  This bit makes it make some sense to me (highlights mine) ....

If my 2013 tax return took as long as most VA claims I'd be listing it as an asset to be passed on to my dependents after I died of old age.

Back