• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearing of former enemy,s medals on Remembrance day

J

jagdpz40

When i first joined up in the mid 70,s my Mwo came up to me and vouleentold me that i was to attend my first Remembrance parade and that i could wear my Grandfathers medals my name being of German  heritage i was surprised by his comment and made him aware of my last name nothing was ever said about that again.What are the regulations on this matter while both my Grandfathers received the Iron cross.
this is more then likely on very old topic but i would like it for my own information
Thx
jagdpz40

Wearing of predecessors medals is not permitted any more; it used to be done ages ago, but no longer.

German decorations are a no no.   There are de-Nazified and modernized versions available for actual German veterans to wear, but family members do not wear them.  Find a nice window box to put the Eisernes Kreuz in, with a favourite photo of your grandfather, and remember him with pride every day - but don't wear his medals on Rememberance Day.

It is an offense under the Criminal Code of Canada to wear awards or decorations that you yourself have not been awarded.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Criminal Code
            PART X FRAUDULENT TRANSACTIONS RELATING TO CONTRACTS AND TRADE
              Public Stores
Unlawful use of military uniforms or certificates
419. Every one who without lawful authority, the proof of which lies on him,

(a) wears a uniform of the Canadian Forces or any other naval, army or air force or a uniform that is so similar to the uniform of any of those forces that it is likely to be mistaken therefor,

(b) wears a distinctive mark relating to wounds received or service performed in war, or a military medal, ribbon, badge, chevron or any decoration or order that is awarded for war services, or any imitation thereof, or any mark or device or thing that is likely to be mistaken for any such mark, medal, ribbon, badge, chevron, decoration or order,

(c) has in his possession a certificate of discharge, certificate of release, statement of service or identity card from the Canadian Forces or any other naval, army or air force that has not been issued to and does not belong to him, or

(d) has in his possession a commission or warrant or a certificate of discharge, certificate of release, statement of service or identity card, issued to an officer or a person in or who has been in the Canadian Forces or any other naval, army or air force, that contains any alteration that is not verified by the initials of the officer who issued it, or by the initials of an officer thereto lawfully authorized,

is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

R.S., c. C-34, s. 377.

TCBF has it correct.  The general topic of wearing the medals of others was discussed at length in a few other threads. 
As far as old soldiers go, I recall one old Africa Corps veteran at a ceremony in a small community several years ago.  He had been taken prisoner
at Tobruk and had been sent to Canada.  He told me that when the train took so many days to transport them (Prisoners) across the country, he knew that the war was lost as this was like another Russia.  He was the centre of attention in the Legion after the ceremony.  Shared honourable experiences seem to close old wounds...

Thanks for the info but i didn,t need the reg,s how many reg,s were broken by the government in both wars, and look at the way they treat the vets now!

you asked: "What are the regulations on this matter while both my Grandfathers received the Iron cross."

The answer was provided: "It is an offense under the Criminal Code of Canada to wear awards or decorations that you yourself have not been awarded."

So now you say you don't need the reg's: "Thanks for the info but i didn,t need the reg,s" and then go off on a tangent about how vets are treated now.

So which is it?

So, I guess it's bye-bye to "Bye-bye", no?

tom

Back