• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearing of Iron Ring in uniform?

old man neri

Inactive
Reaction score
To those who have a degree in engineering; are you allowed to wear your iron ring in uniform? I know an exception is made for a wedding ring, I was wondering if a similar exception exists in this case.

Thanks

Professional rings can be worn in uniform.  My husband wore his ironring in uniform (when he was still in).

There is usually no problem with wearing "Class Rings".  The same goes for Wedding Bands.  If, however, you want to dress up like a NY Pimp, well then someone will have a talk with you, and it will not be profitable.

In most cases, it is advisable not to wear rings, or any jewellery, as it tends to get caught in machinery or weapons and especially in the case of a ring, could cause a rather unpleasant and painful amputation with no  medical assistance nearby.

A friend of mine, on scaling a fence, brought that home to me.  When coming down, his ring caught and his body weight nearly amputated his finger.  In the hospital, the doctor gave him the choice; save the ring or save the finger.  After three tries, he decided the ring wasn't all that important, and the doctor cut the ring out.

I'll end with "save the cheerleader - save the world!"

George Wallace said:
In most cases, it is advisable not to wear rings, or any jewellery, as it tends to get caught in machinery or weapons and especially in the case of a ring, could cause a rather unpleasant and painful amputation with not medical assistance nearby.
Not really an amputation, as much as it is pulling all the meat off your finger bone.
I have seen it twice.
It is not pretty.

I do not wear any rings.

Thank you all. I was curious, I don't really wear it that often and I certainly would never wear a ring out in the field.

My husband's greatest risk of injury in the office was a papercut or a stray staple.

He did not wear his iron ring or his wedding band in the field or in an industrial work site.  Still doesn't.

Solid advice noted above.  I was referring to an office environment and that it is permissible to wear the iron ring.

My regimental ring caught on something while hoping
out the back of an MLVW

I have my finger still...  it was a close call with the ring
slipping off what caught it.  It goes around my neck now
when in the field.

But it's a big ring and I've worn it every day in the military
for the last 10 years...  no one has said anything.

Not saying it's legal.. just saying I do it.

St. Micheal's Medical Team said:
Not really an amputation, as much as it is pulling all the meat off your finger bone.

I too have seen this twice...once when working underground (copper/nickel mine) and of all things, a guy jumping off an Amtrac when we received fire, his ring caught on something and stripped the finger clean....gory.  :(  I do not wear rings and have not for close to 35 years for this very reason.

I believe the term is "de-gloving" as in stripping the skin/muscle/tissue off the bones of the fingers.

A former RSM of mine did rip the entire thing off on the mount of an m113.  Yeeeeeowch!

BernDawg said:
I believe the term is "de-gloving" as in stripping the skin/muscle/tissue off the bones of the fingers.

I believe you are correct.  I have lost enough skin on my knuckles and fingers playing with MGs that I don't need any more 'de-gloved'.  Funny thing; Machine Guns.  If I get anywhere near them they take some of my skin as payment.

BernDawg said:
You are s-m-a-r-t.

I too got caught by a bolt under the ring about twenty years ago.I was bruised but luckily still got the finger.I still wear two rings but on the palm side I had the jeweler cut them 90% through.Easy to break away and easy to solder back together.    441 ret"d

You are s-m-a-r-t.

what about meeeeee ;D

Ring Avulsion.

Believe me...you need to see ONE photo..and you're SOLD on the philosophy.  Saying "in the field" it goes around my neck is one thing...what about if your in a field unit and you do vehicle maint or just day to day play with heavy machinery?  Just as likely to be caught in a circumstance on asphalt as on MUD.

I wear my Iron Ring all the time except when I fly.  When I fly, I put my dog tags chain through the ring and wear my dog tags.

Max

Ring Avulsion  (google is your friend)

Warning.. Graphic. (but on topic)
http://www.eatonhand.com/complic/figures/ringavul.htm

You can visit the site.. I'm not posting the picture.  If you want
to see it... you have to phsyically go there.. I'm not responsible
for your lack of eating.

I don't wear a ring or a watch.

The ring went with the training marriage. As for the watch, 'she who must be obeyed' says "there's a clock on the back of the oven; get your butt back in the kitchen if you need to know the time."  :-[

/thread hijack  ;)

I have seen it twice.
It is not pretty.

I do not wear any rings.

Me too, even when I WAS married.

Cheers,

Wes

I urge everyone to see the pics about wearing a ring that is too tight and not to wear one if you work around engines or in a shop.

OUCH!!!!!!
Watches, Rings and Bling-bling  (including dogtags and necklaces) have no place on your hand when you work around dangerous equipment.

nest.gif

You'd feel foolish for filling out a CF 98 for general stupidity.
Sorry, here endeth today's safety lesson.

Back