• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearing of Iron Ring in uniform?

old man neri said:
To those who have a degree in engineering; are you allowed to wear your iron ring in uniform? I know an exception is made for a wedding ring, I was wondering if a similar exception exists in this case.
I wear both a wedding ring & my iron ring in uniform.  However, both come off when I'm in the field or on operations.

George Wallace said:
There is usually no problem with wearing "Class Rings".  
It is not a class ring.  All graduates of a Canadian engineering program earn privilage of undergoing Ritual of the Calling of an Engineer and wearing the Iron Ring.
The Iron Ring has been registered and may be worn on the little finger of the working hand by any engineer who has been obligated at an authorized ceremony of the Ritual of the Calling of the Engineer. The ring symbolizes the pride which engineers have in their profession, while simultaneously reminding them of their humility. The ring serves as a reminder to the engineer and others of the engineer's obligation to live by a high standard of professional conduct.
http://www.ironring.ca/

For what it is worth, I nearly tore my ring finger off when jumping of an M-113. I always thought it was BS till it happened to me.

When my dad was doing phase trg for the Arty, his class was instructed to remove their rings such as RMC rings.  reason being, it could get caught in something or cost you the finger..... I would never wear a ring in the field, it dectracts heat from your fingers, and makes gloves and weaponry awkward.

old man neri said:
To those who have a degree in engineering; are you allowed to wear your iron ring in uniform? I know an exception is made for a wedding ring, I was wondering if a similar exception exists in this case.

Thanks

All of the safety concerns (common sense) aside.  Are you allowed ?  Simple answer no.  Dress regulations clearly spell out allowances for jewellry.    I am certain that your CSM or RSM will be happy to clarify this for you.  :nod:

EME CWO Rtd said:
All of the safety concerns (common sense) aside.  Are you allowed ?  Simple answer no.  Dress regulations clearly spell out allowances for jewellry.    I am certain that your CSM or RSM will be happy to clarify this for you.  :nod:

I know I'm responding to a reply to a two year old post which is a reply to a four year old post, but you're wrong.  Up to two rings (not of a costume nature) PLUS professional type rings may be worn.

The reference in CFP 265 Dress regs says:

JEWELLERY
6. The only jewellery that may be worn in
uniform shall be a wrist watch, a service-issued ID
tag, a Medical Alert chain identifier, a maximum of
two rings which are not of a costume jewellery
nature and a tie tack/clasp. Additional rings may
only be worn where they indicate professional
standing, such as an engineer, or are worn with a
wedding band as a single set indicating betrothal or
fidelity, e.g., an engagement or an anniversary ring.

Safety regulations should always prevail, especially
in workshops, warehouses or during operations.

EME CWO Rtd said:
All of the safety concerns (common sense) aside.  Are you allowed ?  Simple answer no. 
Wrong.  It is allowed, and it is a common practice.

EME CWO Rtd said:
Sorry to disagree with you, but since the "iron ring" denotes professional status they are permitted.  Lots of EME officers wearing them - far more, in fact, than wear their RMC rings.

Back