• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Were do you wear?

Farmboy

Inactive
Reaction score
So I have worn my knife a few times on my web gear on the left shoulder and a few times on my belt.

Problems with this though are that on the shoulder it gets in the way while crawling and the gerber pouch get pulled open.

On the belt it makes it difficult to get at under the tunic and web gear.

It doesn‘t fit on our over sized web belt.

Should I go drop leg or is there a different way?

You should go Issue or small folding blade like a spyderco or other one handed operation utility blade.

Big honkin K-Bars and the like are good in the movies but suck in the bush.

If you want to cut rope use a folding knife or gerber. If you want to cut trees use an axe or machette. If you want to kill use a rifle or bayonet.

The right tool implemented at the right time will always work better than the wrong tool made to fit a situation that it was not designed for.

Originally posted by RN PRN:
[qb]
[/qb]
i just bought a USMC Combat Knife :(

sp1_marine_combat.jpg

are they that bad?

They may be bad/not practical but they look ****in awesome. Now THAT‘s a fighting knife. :D

Originally posted by Farmboy:
[qb] Buck Nighthawk in a BHI sheath. [/qb]
Well...I gotta say that even if your unit doesn‘t have a problem with other than issue knives, some piece of high-priced-help walking around, polking their nose into stuff may see it and go berzerk. If you do wear the thing make sure people can‘t see it or only when in the weeds.

Slim‘s advice for what its worth. :D

OK,
So you have decided to get your self a fighting knife or USMC K-Bar or other such thing. The next thing you have to know is how to use it.

If you don‘t all you are doing is furnishing someone who does with a nice tool to kill you with and one that he does not have to carry around.

Just a thing to think about

Originally posted by Da_man:
[qb]
[qb]
[/qb]
i just bought a USMC Combat Knife :(

sp1_marine_combat.jpg

are they that bad? [/qb]
I wonder recommended buying any kit like this untill you‘ve had a bit of time in, an have gotten through your courses. When you go away on your BMQ/SQ you won‘t be allowed to have anything like this, for the most part, your only be allowed to use issued kit.

[qb] OK,
So you have decided to get your self a fighting knife or USMC K-Bar or other such thing. The next thing you have to know is how to use it.[/qb]
Well Lt...

At the risk of making myself into the laughing stock of the forum I am going to go ahead and say that I carried a Camilus K-Bar fighting knife from 1986 when I joined the Mo‘ to 1996 when I left the regs. It was the last thing I removed from my web gear when I turned it all in last year after my final years in the Mo‘.

I am not dead and have yet to be threatened with my own knife.

Nor did it just sit in its holder(sheath) and look pretty for the entire time.

Usually it was hard at work, cutting cam nets when they got hung up on pointy stuff on a Leo or M113. Pounding in tent pegs was a common use for it. You will also find that a K-Bar will cut through 550 cord and WD-1 wire quite well.

It was always kept sharp and well oiled, in good working order (just like any tool should be properly cared for)

It also has a lifetime guarantee. If you break it just send both halfs back and the company will get you a new one free of charge. My friend found this out when he backed over his with a Willy‘s jeep.( yes they still had them when I was first in)

I‘m sure that the line up to UMS is teeming with guys/gals who have been cut up with their own knives or guys that cut themselves shaving or whatever.

The bottom line is that being a soldier is not a "safe" career. Although we try to make it as safe as possible things don‘t always work out that way.

Maybe, just maybe, he‘ll learn to use it...I did.

Slim
:D Former LdSH Recce
Assault Trooper :salute:

My knife has been used alot and kept sharp and oiled (like everything else I own). It was used quite a bit on every weekend, even when not in the field.

No I am not an expert in combat knife fighting but I am also not inexperienced.

I‘m am also still waiting for an issue knife and gerber.

And the gerber vs knife thread is ongoing so I would like to keep this WERE DO YOU WEAR? if you do.

A large knife such as a K-Bar is much more practical in the field than a folder or a Gerber.You can accomplish many more tasks with a large knife than you can with a small one plus do most of the tasks one can do with a small one.Perhaps the naysayers here should actually get out in the field for a bit,living from a rucksack.
a good field knife must hold and edge ,be large enough to chop wood(branches for arc markers,support poles for shelters,clear arcs of fire,etc),be strong enough to be used as a tool for prying,hammering,etc.
I carry a British Para Knife in the field,best all round knife I own,much handier in the field than any of my Spyderco folders and Gerbers,SOG tools or what have you.
As for carrying the thing I attach it to my Tac Vest on the left side to the rear on the top 2 adjustment straps but will most likely move it elsewhere.On the web gear it went on the left side inbetween my second canteen and utility pouch.

Originally posted by MG34:
[qb] A large knife such as a K-Bar is much more practical in the field than a folder or a Gerber.You can accomplish many more tasks with a large knife than you can with a small one plus do most of the tasks one can do with a small one.Perhaps the naysayers here should actually get out in the field for a bit,living from a rucksack.
a good field knife must hold and edge ,be large enough to chop wood(branches for arc markers,support poles for shelters,clear arcs of fire,etc),be strong enough to be used as a tool for prying,hammering,etc.
I carry a British Para Knife in the field,best all round knife I own,much handier in the field than any of my Spyderco folders and Gerbers,SOG tools or what have you.
As for carrying the thing I attach it to my Tac Vest on the left side to the rear on the top 2 adjustment straps but will most likely move it elsewhere.On the web gear it went on the left side inbetween my second canteen and utility pouch. [/qb]
thank you ;) I was thinking about putting it on my right leg with some sort of leg belt

I always wear mine right next to the fork on the left side of my plate. :warstory:

I own a K-Bar, and to me it is more of a " Utilty Knife" ,( as indicated by " Slim" , and " MG34") than a " Combat Knife", that‘s why the Army gave me a bayonet. And besides, I am not " Rambo", ( Too skinny).

Originally posted by Old Cent‘ Hand:
[qb] I own a K-Bar, and to me it is more of a " Utilty Knife" ,( as indicated by " Slim" , and " MG34") than a " Combat Knife", that‘s why the Army gave me a bayonet. And besides, I am not " Rambo", ( Too skinny). [/qb]
the blade on Rambo‘s knife is 9 inches :eek:

I think Rambo may have been compensating for something else. :D

Back