• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What book are you reading now?

Danjanou said:
BTW what's wrong with 50 Shades of Grey, all the female members of the site were raving about it

Some of us weren't....  ::)  I heard that The Sleeping Beauty trilogy by Anne Roquelaure (Anne Rice) is better....  ;)

Edit to add:

tumblr_m7mu27HqMD1r0wqrdo1_500.jpg

;D

Just picked up the book about Russell Williams

A New Kind of Monster: The Secret Life and Chilling Crimes of Colonel Russell Williams
Author: Timothy Appleby

Have been wanting to read it for a while, should be interesting!

I read that a little while back. I found it just okay. My latest pick is "The Warlord's Son."

The Wind Through The Keyhole- Stephen King... Nice to see my old friend Roland again after all these years.

Currently reading "The Last Kingdom" book one in the Saxon Stories by Bernard Cornwell and "Duel in the Mist 2 - The Leibstandarte during the Ardennes offensive".

Have seen a few recommendations for Heinlein's Starship Troopers which I endorse.

If you liked it you'll also like John Scalzi's 'Old Man's War'. It even has a few sequels.

On a different theme, if you like novels about ancient Rome, Colleen McCoulough's Masters of Rome Series including 'The First Man in Rome', 'The Grass Crown' and five others. Richly detailed and meticulously researched.

FJAG said:
Have seen a few recommendations for Heinlein's Starship Troopers which I endorse.

I don't know who here actually wrote the recommendation that I first read, but thank you.  Until a few weeks ago, I had no idea there was a book, and after seeing the movie, I never would have gone looking for the novel. 

One of the best things I have read in a long while.

RDJP said:
I don't know who here actually wrote the recommendation that I first read, but thank you.  Until a few weeks ago, I had no idea there was a book, and after seeing the movie, I never would have gone looking for the novel. 

One of the best things I have read in a long while.

I always get the shakes before a drop...

Quiet - The Power of Introverts by Susan Cain.

http://www.thepowerofintroverts.com/
Ditch the meetings.  Ditch the brainstorming. Ditch the multi-tasking.  Ditch the power point presentations. Ditch group work generally and open plan offices (command posts) in particular.

One man. One job. .... And concentrate.

Reading "The Second Saladin" by Stephen Hunter (Point of Impact, the book that the movie Shooter was based off of), but I'm having trouble getting into it because it doesn't have Bob Lee or Earl Swagger :(.

Just starting "Surrender invites death: Fighting the Waffen SS in Normandy" by John A. English.

Searching for Bobby Orr by Stephen Brunt, next in line on my bookshelf is Facing Ali by the same author.

The Junior Officer's Reading Club - $4.99 at chapters. Good so far.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Junior-Officers-Reading-Club-Fighting/dp/1846141869

Valley of the Templars by Paul Christopher

Lots of military action, Embraer EMB 314 Super Tucano, some Canada connections.
Great casual read.

"The Thunder and the Sunshine" by Rear Admiral Jeffry Brock, DSO, DSC, CD, RCN (Ret)

Very interesting read.  Anyone interested in the unification of the forces should read this!

Just started reading Panzer Commander the autobiography of Hans Von Luck, based on the third I've read so far I'd recommed it highly.

http://www.amazon.ca/Panzer-Commander-Memoirs-Colonel-Hans/dp/0440208025

After a number of false starts throughout the years, I finally buckeld down and read Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged.

Glad that one's out of the way. Now I've just started The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Danjanou said:
Just started reading Panzer Commander the autobiography of Hans Von Luck, based on the third I've read so far I'd recommed it highly.

http://www.amazon.ca/Panzer-Commander-Memoirs-Colonel-Hans/dp/0440208025

This is a great read.  Enjoy!

Debt of Honor with Executive Orders to follow. 

Workin' my way thru the T.C. stuff thats been collecting dust the last few years.

Back