• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What book are you reading now?

Just finished "Das Geduldige Fleisch", which was the basis for the movie "Cross of Iron".  The book is a terrific yarn about a fictional Cpl (later, Sgt) Rolf Steiner as he leads his "platoon" in Southern Russia in the Summer of 1943.  Some parts of the novel were mirrored exactly in the movie; others, not at all.  Great book, titled both "The Willing Flesh" and "Cross of Iron" in english.

Technoviking said:
Just finished "Das Geduldige Fleisch", which was the basis for the movie "Cross of Iron".  The book is a terrific yarn about a fictional Cpl (later, Sgt) Rolf Steiner as he leads his "platoon" in Southern Russia in the Summer of 1943.  Some parts of the novel were mirrored exactly in the movie; others, not at all.  Great book, titled both "The Willing Flesh" and "Cross of Iron" in english.

After my last move I told myself I would thin out my book collection and now you have just added another book to my want list.  Something tells me my books collection is not going to get any smaller, I should just ignore this thread :)

Found this tidbit about our fictional sergeant:

The literary and cinematic "Sergeant Steiner" character may be based upon Johann Schwerdfeger (b. 24 November 1914, in Plein bei Wittlich) who soldiered from 1935 to 1937 in Infanterie Regiment 84, and in 1939 was transferred to the Third Company of Infanterie Regiment 186 of the 73rd Infantry Division, at the Polish Campaign's start.

In June 1942, after serving in Jägerersatzbataillon 75, Schwerdfeger joined Jäger Regiment 228 of the 101st Jäger Division, who fought in the Don Bend, at Rostov, and at Maykop, in the Caucasus, and joined the retreat through the Kuban and the Taman Peninsula, the setting of the novel Das Geduldige Fleisch (The Willing Flesh).

On 17 May 1943, Feldwebel Schwerdfeger was awarded the Knight's Cross as a platoon leader in the First Company. In April 1944, in the breakout from Hube's Pocket, he was severely wounded, and was awarded Oak Leaves for his Knight's Cross on 14 May 1944; moreover, Sergeant Schwerdfelger also earned two tank destruction badges.

Enjoy!  :)

Midnight in Some Burning Town http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/189084.Midnight_In_Some_Burning_Town

Meh....

It's about (allegedly) an SAS soldier's career spanning various conflicts from Sierra Leone, the Balkans, Afghanistan and Iraq. I tried to go through it but it kind of reads like a pub conversation that starts with 'when I....', but without the beer. It is also not clear if he was a participant in these actions or not, and some accounts read like he heard it described by someone else (in a pub, perhaps?) and just put that down.

I'll give it one more chance, then probably bin it.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/189084.Midnight_In_Some_Burning_Town

"The Heroes of Jadotville" - about the Irish company that got stuck all by their lonesome in the Congo, but mainly from the soldiers' side.  An easy read, but at the same time a hard one because of the situation they were placed in/left in by the UN and their commanders. 

MM

ueo said:
Tribe, Sebastien Junger. Purportedly the definitive work on why soldiers don't want to leave the service/war zone and as a result are more likely to develop PTSD (my paraphrase). At least that was the review in last weeks New York Times. Its not! Its a poorly strung together series of relatively unknown academic studies interspersed with the few feelings of an alleged best selling author and reporter of some description. Poor research, poor facts and poorly written. Do not buy this.

I wasnt particularly impressed either.

Currently reading Robert Semrau's book, 'The Taliban Don't Wave'. Entertaining enough, no particular depth to it. But other guys I've spoken to with OMLT tours have said it did effectively capture the mind blowing absurdity that was working with the ANA.

Jerusalem by Alan Moore. At 1300 odd pages long, this is a dense read.

The premise is that in a particular English slum, there is more going on than meets the eye, as the afterlife closely intersects and is intertwined with everyday life. It has the feel of Lord of the Rings meets Stephen King. There are lots of intersecting stories that also jump around in time.

Just finished reading "A Spy Among Friends: Kim Philby and the Great Betrayal" by Ben Macintyre https://www.amazon.ca/Spy-Among-Friends-Philby-Betrayal/dp/0771055528/ref=sr_1_1_twi_pap_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1477184679&sr=1-1&keywords=a+spy+among+friends.

As you can guess it is about the spy and traitor Kim Philby (one of the Cambridge Five spies) and his rise in British Intelligence, spying for the Soviet Union and eventual defection to that country. The author tell the story using the theme of friendship, who Kim Philby's friends were and how he conned/abused them to get information for the Soviets. It is not a hard fact book but one that is entertaining. So if you are looking for an in depth analysis of Kim Philby or the British Secret Service you will probably be a bit disappointed. It is not that this is a bad book but one that does not goes in minute details.

The thing that I found scary was how Kim Philby was able to do the things he did because of what school's he went to, who his friends were and who his father was. At one time it seemed that he was being groomed to be in a top position in British Intelligence which if that had occurred would have been just horrendous. 

In closing if you like espionage tales or just history in general I recommend this book, it is a nice light entertaining read.   

Canada by Mike Myers.

It's really no secret that Mike Myers loves being a Canadian, and it's been a long time since I read anything (in his voice in my head, of course...interspaced with his "dad"'s voice from So I Married an Axe Murderer) that made me laugh out loud within the first 15 pages.  He specifically says it's totally subjective and not meant to be a critique of any current event or policy, which is good.

It's got lots of nice pictures too, so if nothing else it'd look good on a coffee table.

Not so much reading but writing.

My newest novel Allies: The Coast is now out. This is the sixth book of the "Allies" series and the third involving the series' US Army Criminal Investigation Command.

Chief Warrant Officer 2 Mark Winters of the US Army Criminal Investigation Command (CID) is faced with the murder of a special forces officer and the poisoning of the officer’s wife while on vacation at a beautiful Atlantic coast resort.

The investigation takes him to Mumbai, India and into a broader scheme of kidnapping, extortion and corruption. Together with an inspector from the Indian Federal Criminal Bureau of Investigation, he must unravel the intricacies of both the original murder and the kidnapping of the officer’s wife both in Mumbai and in the dangerous border region of Kashmir.
Winters path crosses with General Phil Sambrook’s son Brian, who had foregone an appointment to West Point in order to enlist in the 75th Ranger Regiment. His platoon is deployed on black special operations operating in both Afghanistan and within Pakistan.

https://wolfriedel.wordpress.com/

[cheers]

Attachments

• KiteCover.jpg
    KiteCover.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 123
Just started into "The Story of the S.A.S., Britain’s First Special Operations Unit."
I kept reading reviews about this book so curiosity led me to my local library. I am now in to it about 90 pages.
Really enjoying what I have read but let's let the NY times have a say:

ROGUE HEROES
The History of the SAS, Britain’s Secret Special Forces Unit That Sabotaged the Nazis and Changed the Nature of War
By Ben Macintyre
Illustrated. 380 pp. Crown. $28.

Once upon a time, when the president wanted to use military force without becoming embroiled in a major conflict, the cry would go out: “Send in the Marines!” Today the role once played by the Marine Corps — as the troops of choice for low-profile missions without a formal declaration of war — has been largely supplanted by the United States Special Operations Command. With tens of thousands of “operators” and a multibillion-dollar budget, Socom has become virtually an independent military service.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/06/books/review/ben-macintyre-rogue-heroes.html?em_pos=large&emc=edit_bk_20161104&nl=bookreview&nlid=18656318

Exceptionally worth the read (further links at original):
https://cgai3ds.wordpress.com/2016/11/21/mark-collins-a-great-book-from-a-romanian-jew-mihail-sebastian-journal-1935-1944-the-fascist-years/

A Great Book From a Romanian Jew, Mihail Sebastian: “Journal 1935–1944: The Fascist Years”

51D68GTi07L._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It is an accumulation of events, thoughts and emotions that is one of the most powerful books I have read. I would add that his amateur appreciation of military developments is quite acute (it would appear that Romanians had access to quite a variety of information from non-Axis sources).

More here on Mihail Sebastian from a Romanian. He survived the war and then “Mihail Sebastian was killed by a truck as he crossed a busy Bucharest street in May 1945…”

The fate of Jews in Romania during the war depended critically on where they lived; many of those in the old Regat survived but still were subject to harsh persecution...

Mark
Ottawa

The Arsenal of Democracy (FDR, Detroit and an epic quest to arm an America at war) by A.J. Baime.

https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/the-arsenal-of-democracy-fdr/9780547719283-item.html?ikwid=the+arsenal+of+democracy&ikwsec=Home&ikwidx=0

In 1941, as Hitler's threat loomed ever larger, President Roosevelt realized he needed weaponry to fight the Nazis-most important, airplanes-and he needed them fast. So he turned to Detroit and the auto industry for help. The Arsenal of Democracy tells the incredible story of how Detroit answered the call, centering on Henry Ford and his tortured son Edsel, who, when asked if they could deliver 50,000 airplanes, made an outrageous claim: Ford Motor Company would erect a plant that could yield a "bomber an hour." Critics scoffed: Ford didn't make planes; they made simple, affordable cars. But bucking his father's resistance, Edsel charged ahead.&nbspFord would apply assembly-line production to the American military's largest, fastest, most destructive bomber; they would build a plant vast in size and ambition on a plot of farmland and call it Willow Run; they would bring in tens of thousands of workers from across the country, transforming Detroit, almost overnight, from Motor City to the "great arsenal of democracy." And eventually they would help the Allies win the war. Drawing on exhaustive research from the Ford Archives, the National Archives, and the FDR Library, A. J. Baime has crafted an enthralling, character-driven narrative of American innovation that has never been fully told, leaving readers with a vivid new portrait of America-and Detroit-during the war.

So far an excellent read.

milnews.ca said:
"Combat Mission Kandahar"  I've received a review copy to check out - will share a review when done.
Interesting read - a wide range of individual experiences (OMLT, engineer, IED, Coyote crew cdr, psyops, etc.) of what it was like @ the coalface in Afghanistan.  It includes some above-and-beyond stuff as well, like MWO Richard Stacey's "whack-a-mole" handling of an ambush in 2009 that led to him to receive the MMV, or Simon Mailloux's story of losing a leg and getting back to Afghanistan nonetheless.  More if you're interested here.

Latest read:  "Charlie Foxtrot," by political scientist Kim Richard Nossal, about how the CF buys things.  Hint:  the title can be short for Canadian Forces, or for ... group copulation (which is generally his assessment of the state of the military-stuff-buying process).

milnews.ca said:
Latest read:  "Charlie Foxtrot," by political scientist Kim Richard Nossal, about how the CF buys things.  Hint:  the title can be short for Canadian Forces, or for ... group copulation (which is generally his assessment of the state of the military-stuff-buying process).

Geez.  Do you enjoy self-flagellation too? 

:bowing:

Dimsum said:
Geez.  Do you enjoy self-flagellation too? 

:bowing:
So far, it's a pretty accessible read - coming up to the "here's what worked and (mostly) didn't" chapter - so it's not quite like some of the old OPDP readings (I age myself).

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. He recounts his hikes on the Appalachian Trail. The guy is sarcastic as hell...love it!

Just finished my annual holiday reading of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien. I have read this series every year over the Christmas holidays since I was about 13 and my dad brought home on the first day of Christmas break a copy of The Two Towers that he had bought at a used book store and gave it to me thinking I would like it (I have no idea why he bought the second book). 

Back