• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What makes a good Officer? What makes a bad Officer?

The best officers listen to the voice of experience. And those voices come from the seasoned Sgts, WOs as well as junior NCOs.

Oh, and careful of the ever present power trips some officers love to take. It usually doesn't fly.

Spend 5 years as a NCM and then go that way you will understand your men and have the back up experience to lead them. :salute:

"Since the soldiers entrust their lives to the officers, it is not too much to ask that the officers in turn dedicate their lives to the soldiers." - unknown

TR said:
Spend 5 years as a NCM and then go that way you will understand your men and have the back up experience to lead them. :salute:

That's a really good route too. And the best route in my opinion. But Bograt isn't going to be doing that so... any other advice?

TR said:

I'm not even getting into this discussion again, if you're interested, have a read here:

http://army.ca/forums/threads/18201.0.html

Cheers

My humble advice on leadership for military or civilian use:

1.  Introduce your subordinates to the company's mission statement, ensure they understand the endstate, and assist them in understanding their role in achieving the endstate.  As a leader you have to both support the 'vision' and SELL IT.

2.  The old know your men and promote their welfare' - "Seek first to understand, then to be understood".  Understand the unique dynamic in your workplace.  Promote positive influences and attempt to correct negative influence through exemplary 'leadership by example' and constructive criticism in private and comfortable environments.

3.  Try to be non-confrontational in your approach when resolving disagreements.  Don't feed their primal instincts like 'fight or flight'.  Avoid embarrassing people.  NEVER undermine someone's authority in front of their subordinates or peers.  Be tactful in your approach to advising your superiors - if you have to, make it sound like it's their idea in the first place.  Subversion can be acceptable if the intent is pure and the delivery is tactful.

4.  Exemplify solid and unwavering personal virtues and ethos.  Reward integrity and honesty, openly and in public.  As we Royals like to say, "Never pass a fault" -  If you see a wrong, then right it.  Never compromise the core virtues based on an unpopular decision you have to make.  NEVER say "just this once" - it sets a dangerous precedent. 

5.  Hold YOURSELF and your people accountable for their actions.  Don't lose your temper when faced with lack of discipline in your subordinates.  If you resort to anger, yelling, and belittling; you have in essence, exacerbated the problem (IE...anger management) instead of helping them to acknowledge and correct the problem.

6.  Focus on your circle of influence:  Be proactive and positive within your own realm and it should, by virtue of its success, increase.  Take the time to present an intelligent and articulate argument when stepping outside your normal realm of influence - your credibility will speak for itself, and you should make an impact.

7.  Respect your men and their input.  No leader with sound judgment should arbitrarily discount a reasonable or logical solution to a challenge - and this should apply both up and down in your hierarchy.  Never stop learning......or listening.  At the same time, avoid the Chinese Parliament approach to leadership.  There are times to listen, consider the options, develop a course of action, and act.  There are also times to use your command presence to present your plan and how you wish to achieve it.

8.  Conduct yourself with decisiveness and dash in stressful situations.  Others will feed off your strength and gain newfound confidence in the collective successes. 

9.  Build self-directing teams:  Put subordinates in positions of responsibility and let them reap the rewards of success.  Assist them subtly with experience or advice if need be, but don't superimpose your ideals on their style of leadership.  Rotate your men through the cogs of the machine so they get a better understanding of it's intricacies.  This includes leadership positions, because everyone who has been 'thrown in the breach' understands the unique challenges inherent to 'running the show', as opposed to the comfortable position of resident 'mushroom'.  'Teamwork' will begin to take on a whole new meaning.  The words 'empowerment' 'structural integrity' and 'interdependence' have been used to best describe this doctrine.

10.  The military culture:  Learn to subordinate personal needs to that of the 'Team'.  You volunteered to serve, and you don't complain when you go to the bank to collect the tax payer's coin; so hold up your end of the bargain.  Nights, weekends, holidays, operational tours, courses, etc......... they are all implied tasks when you sign on.  Garrison routine is not your job.......its battle procedure FOR YOUR JOB!!!  Having said that, when the tempo has lessened, the leadership should support the administrative needs and welfare of the troops.  I like the old saying "if you've got nothing to do, don't do it here"  and I absolutely hate the "standing around team".  The workplace should never be a place to play cards, and if it is then it is indicative of the initiative at all levels in that chain of command.......including those that are playing!

11.  Constantly seek self-improvement:  Never stop learning.  Never relegate yourself to 'good enough'.  Always seek new ways to 'skin the cat'.  Never subjugate your subordinates to a state of complacency.  Leadership is a challenge - rise to it.  Study your team's modus operandi, study the enemy's MO, study the MO of your allies, study everyone's MO - and most of all study yourself.  Never pass up a chance to 'sharpen the tools' - mentally, physically, literally, or figuratively.

Let me close by saying I wish these principles where as easy to follow as they are to write.  I have written out these thoughts, not to sound pretentious, but to help stimulate thought and conversation.  These are by no means my own ideas, they have been compiled from experience, and the learned writing of numerous 'others'.  Special thanks to men like Stephen R Covey who wrote 'The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People', and others of his caliber, who have had a profound influence on my leadership.  Most of all I credit the Canadian military for giving me the pleasure of working with, and for, some truly great men........ and leaders of men. 

Good luck to all.

I was just wondering what stupid things that jr officers do to piss you off???

I was in the reserves for 2 years when i was 16 and 17 so I know a lot of stuff that pissed me off.  however, seeing as I am an officer now
and i wasnt in the infantry in the reserves i thought why not figure out what pisses people off the most?

I feel all those who have commented thus far have made excellent points.  I only want to add one thing.  I think it's important to always remember that no matter what rank you are, if you don't DESERVE the respect then you likely wont get it.  Granted I don't work with troops as I'm a CIC officer, however the same can be said for my branch.  Those who work to cultivate a relationship with their subordinates based on trust and a mutual goal will EARN the respect of those subordinates and their peers.

You don't just get respected.  You earn it.  For me it's one of the golden rules of leadership and command.

Cheers!! :cdn:

The Army Guy

Here are a few to think about and action:
do things with a sense of urgency to which one of my NCO's added bordering but not quite panic.
read professional bulletins and after action reports and apply the lessons learned.
learn existing strategies, tactics, use of ground, analysis but don't be afraid to change or add to it to make it work for you.
listen and learn from your NCOs they have the benefit of a wealth of experience and culture to draw upon.
add to your personal kit whether it's a patrol or ghillie suit, an extra knife or some bungy cord.
get personal and profficient with your personal and crew-served weapons.
take an ethical stand and keep the high moral ground. Be seen to be spiritual.
talk about what you envision your section, troop, squadron and regiment will become and then work towards that-ask yourself and your soldiers is what I am about to do going to take me closer to my end-state?
never pass a fault, persevere and use your God given initiative and accept the consequences
Have fun with your soldiers ie adventure training, sports, competitions. and
train as if it was a war because in a war you will fight only be as good as you have trained.

Well said Bill. Cheers.

From the opinion of a NCM
Drill / Dress and deportment:
Theres so many things for officers to consider that they seem to forget about the little things sometimes.

When your on parade in front of a company of troops and you march out looking like a bag of shit everyone laughs under the breath. Your going to be a joke told in the mess later.  Boot blousing undone,  boots shinning  but with your laces hanging out. Sleeves all uneven. Strings from your combat shirt hanging out. And marching! When you march across a parade square (Especially on parade!) and you look like your going for a walk in the park people just shake their head. Troops practice drill. Officers need to also. When a troop fucks up he's surrounded by 30 guys. It's easy to miss. When an officer screws up your in front of those 30 troops who are all watching you. 

I remember quite a few first impressions of officers I've got have been pretty bad. Why? Because the first time i seen them they looked worst dressed then an untrained private. How can you as an officer inspect me and comment on a thread hanging from my name take when yours is on crooked, you missed a button and the strings at the bottom of your shirt are hanging down 6 inches.  Troops always see the little things like that. It may not matter very much to you BUT it might be the deciding factor when it comes to a troop going the extra distance for you or doing you a favor when you need it.

On the other side of the coin, when I see a well dressed officer (with good drill) i subconsciously check myself over to make sure my pockets are done up. I  make sure my boots look at good as his. I make sure my drill is as good as his. I make sure my uniform looks as professional as his. (The mentality: no way is an officer gonna look better then me!) A professional looking officer will inspire his or her troops to look the same. When a checked out officer comes up to me and takes the time to say "good evening corporal, nice job on your boots" or "Nice uniform, good turn out" it prompts me (as a troop) to continute to put as much effort as I can because the well respected platoon commander/company commander noticed me.

I remember A platoon commander of mine was always the first one awake (and dressed) in the field. He was always the last one sleeping. He was always well dressed. Knew what he was doing when it came to drill. HE cleaned his own weapon WITH the troops. Troops couldn't have an excuse for not cleaning their rifle if the platoon commander (who had a billion things to do) took the time to properly clean his. Guys saw the example he set (without him pointing it out) and made sure to look/act the same.  I think it all starts with how you present yourself to the troops through drill, dress and deportment.

For me, the epiphany re what really makes a good officer came when I understood the awesome privilege being granted to me...that I was being given care and custody of the lives of Canadian men and women, wives and husbands, sons and daughters.  I do not believe there is a greater gift, nor a greater burden, to be given to a person.  You must accept that, and come to treasure it, in order to do what has to be done to be a "good officer".  You'll know you've achieved this when you can look at your troops sleeping, having just come back from a long, cold, wet, bag-drive of a patrol, and get that "warm fuzzy" knowing that you've lead them well and they've followed you willingly.

dglad said:
For me, the epiphany re what really makes a good officer came when I understood the awesome privilege being granted to me...that I was being given care and custody of the lives of Canadian men and women, wives and husbands, sons and daughters. I do not believe there is a greater gift, nor a greater burden, to be given to a person. You must accept that, and come to treasure it, in order to do what has to be done to be a "good officer". You'll know you've achieved this when you can look at your troops sleeping, having just come back from a long, cold, wet, bag-drive of a patrol, and get that "warm fuzzy" knowing that you've lead them well and they've followed you willingly.

AND......

Ghost778 said:
From the opinion of a NCM
Drill / Dress and deportment:
Theres so many things for officers to consider that they seem to forget about the little things sometimes.

When your on parade in front of a company of troops and you march out looking like a bag of crap everyone laughs under the breath. Your going to be a joke told in the mess later. Boot blousing undone, boots shinning but with your laces hanging out. Sleeves all uneven. Strings from your combat shirt hanging out. And marching! When you march across a parade square (Especially on parade!) and you look like your going for a walk in the park people just shake their head. Troops practice drill. Officers need to also. When a troop fucks up he's surrounded by 30 guys. It's easy to miss. When an officer screws up your in front of those 30 troops who are all watching you.

I remember quite a few first impressions of officers I've got have been pretty bad. Why? Because the first time i seen them they looked worst dressed then an untrained private. How can you as an officer inspect me and comment on a thread hanging from my name take when yours is on crooked, you missed a button and the strings at the bottom of your shirt are hanging down 6 inches. Troops always see the little things like that. It may not matter very much to you BUT it might be the deciding factor when it comes to a troop going the extra distance for you or doing you a favor when you need it.

On the other side of the coin, when I see a well dressed officer (with good drill) i subconsciously check myself over to make sure my pockets are done up. I make sure my boots look at good as his. I make sure my drill is as good as his. I make sure my uniform looks as professional as his. (The mentality: no way is an officer gonna look better then me!) A professional looking officer will inspire his or her troops to look the same. When a checked out officer comes up to me and takes the time to say "good evening corporal, nice job on your boots" or "Nice uniform, good turn out" it prompts me (as a troop) to continute to put as much effort as I can because the well respected platoon commander/company commander noticed me.

I remember A platoon commander of mine was always the first one awake (and dressed) in the field. He was always the last one sleeping. He was always well dressed. Knew what he was doing when it came to drill. HE cleaned his own weapon WITH the troops. Troops couldn't have an excuse for not cleaning their rifle if the platoon commander (who had a billion things to do) took the time to properly clean his. Guys saw the example he set (without him pointing it out) and made sure to look/act the same. I think it all starts with how you present yourself to the troops through drill, dress and deportment.

You both understand what it is to be not only a good officer (dglad) , but also a soldier that knows what a good officer is.

Cheers!! :cdn:

The Army Guy

I asked my grandfather (a retired royal navy officer) for advice on how to be the best officer possible, being the man of the empire that he is, he wrote me a short letter that I always will have with me:

"Remember that the Queen has seen fit to grant you this commission and it is not a position to be taken lightly.
You stand on the shoulders of all the officers who have gone before you in the service of the empire. You have the sobering responsibility of serving with and for the men and women you lead, the memory of those who have gone before you and above all else you are a servant of the crown and the subjects thereof.
Always conduct yourself in a manner becoming this tradition.
You have been charged with the sobering task of being both a ferocious warrior and gentle leader. Yours is not an easy task and it is a thankless job, it does have its rewards, but they should not be your concern at any time.
Lead and serve with all of these ideas in mind and you will be endeared into the hearts of many; and may rest easy when your day comes.
Rule Britannia.
God save the Queen. "

So make what you will of it, as I said he's a "Man of the Empire" and will be damned if anyone tells him he's wrong. He obviously doesn't know they call it the Commonwealth now, or maybe he does and doesn't care..either way I think it's an excellent bit of philosophy and guidance for anyone in the position.

Edit, I should also mention that that is a condensed version, so anything lacking in it might be my editing of it, not his writing.

Can anyone give me their take on this question?  I am not looking for rank structure, or that they have been commissioned, or that they are leaders.  I know what an officer is, but rather want to know what differentiates one from an NCM.  (By the way, I have 8 years in, so I'm not a newb here...adjust your answers accordingly).  My BPSO asked me this question a while back and I kind of stumbled to answer her. 

I mentioned that they are leaders and somewhat equivalent to managers in the civillian world, but she countered with "NCMs can be leaders, too".  So then I said something about the commission, she said "That's not what I'm talking about.  Why don't NCMs get commissions?".  So the best answer I could come up with was that officers are generally concerned for the unit as a whole.  NCMs concentrate more on an individual or sectional level.  I also mentioned that officers create policy, NCMs put them into action and maintain them.  This seemed to be a suitable answer for her as she didn't press it any more, but now I'm wondering.

Any thoughts?

On a tangent, she asked me, if I were an officer, what would make me a good officer.  One of the things I mentioned was approachability.  She seemed almost insulted at this.  She then asked me if I thought it would be OK if a Corporal just walked up to my office and wanted to chat. (Although, I don't think this is such a bad ting, I kind of see her point).  She said that basically the only time a Jr NCM should be in an officer's office is when they are getting in trouble.  Thought it was a little funny, although I didn't tell her that!

From the US Army recruiting site:

Commissioned Officers are the leaders of the Army. They lead Soldiers during every aspect of a mission. Commissioned Officers make decisions quickly, always focusing on completing the mission successfully, and showing respect for their subordinates. Commissioned Officers lead from the front and adjust to environments that are always changing. To be a Commissioned Officer is to be respected as a Soldier, an inspiring leader and a servant of the nation.

In addition to exhibiting self-discipline, initiative, confidence and intelligence, Commissioned Officers are physically fit and can perform under physical and mental pressures. They are judged by their ability to make decisions on their own and bear ultimate moral responsibility for those decisions.

ACS_Tech said:
  She said that basically the only time a Jr NCM should be in an officer's office is when they are getting in trouble. 

Or getting praise for something exceptionally well done.................  ;)

Quite simply.........Officers Command, NCO's Lead!!!!

3rd Horseman said:
From the US Army recruiting site:

Commissioned Officers are the leaders of the Army. They lead Soldiers during every aspect of a mission. Commissioned Officers make decisions quickly, always focusing on completing the mission successfully, and showing respect for their subordinates. Commissioned Officers lead from the front and adjust to environments that are always changing. To be a Commissioned Officer is to be respected as a Soldier, an inspiring leader and a servant of the nation.

In addition to exhibiting self-discipline, initiative, confidence and intelligence, Commissioned Officers are physically fit and can perform under physical and mental pressures. They are judged by their ability to make decisions on their own and bear ultimate moral responsibility for those decisions.

Yes, but there's nothing there that an NCM doesn't do.

2023 said:
Quite simply.........Officers Command, NCO's Lead!!!!
I would not agree with that.  Yes, officers are commissioned, Warrant Officers have a warrant and so forth, but in the end, these are just words. 
My very first OC (after I became an officer myself) was both an excellent commander and an excellent leader.  He was approachable (eg: the troops didn't fear him: that was the CSM's job!  :rage:), he was fair in his dealings with the troops, and like that King in the play by Shakespeare (can't remember which one), he was comfortable mingling with the troops, keeping his ear to the ground.
Having said all that, there was a distinct divide between him and the men.  EVERYONE knew who was in charge and he was well respected. 
In short, an officer is a special kind of leader.  The NCOs and WOs are the technical experts (eg: weapons, drill, dress and deportment, stuff like that), whereas the officers are the tactical experts.  One without the other is virtually useless. 
For example, the Platoon Commander may say "left flanking, H Hour at 0900", the Platoon WO may say "Bloggins, set the MG up here, high mount, make sure the dangerous zone covers the entire objective", and the Sgt may say "Jones, move yer friggin' arse!  Keep up!".  All leaders, and they are a potent team.

Back