• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What not to do - No excuse BMQ tips [Merged]

There are mop drying areas in order to...gasp!... hang damp mops to dry.  You guys keep waaaay overthinking this BASIC training thing.  You'll be told by your staff what they expect from you, no secrets.

well I am getting my list pretty soon here. And if I go and buy two of this, one of that (not on the list). Won't they be keeping a close eye on me from the get go. After they go through all of my extra stuff. Or get jacked up when they ask me "Did you see this on the list". And I am sure they read these forums very thoroghly. Maybe even take notes of things to look for. So if I buy what they tell me too, and when I get there buy whatever else I need from there little shop. Should I not be fine as they don't want to set me up to fail. But I will have to buy to pairs of runners as I wear them out quite quickly.

Hey brother,
Just a little tip for you (as that is why you are here no doubt), I started this thread years ago as I was getting ready for basic.  I have recently returned from my first tour and have been enjoying army life ever since.  The only real bmq tip you need is this. 

Do as you are told, and you will be fine.  Follow instruction.  That's it. 

The courses are not set up to weed out the weak.  They are set up to ensure you pass.  If you can exist as a law abiding semi intelligent citizen who graduated high school (or even got close), you will pass basic training.  It really doesn't matter if you have everything on your list or not.  When i say that i mean, whether or not you have all your stuff, you are going to get jacked up anyway.  It's nothing against you, it's just part of the process.  They will put in some character building situations, and all you have to do is .... what they tell you.  Thats it!  They will teach you drill, and boot shining, and ironing clothes.  What they can't do, is make you a better runner before you show up.  That is what you should be working on now.  Run.  Run 2k, then run 5k, and if you're really ambitious, go run 10k.  It doesn't matter how fast you go, just do the best you can.  Then do push ups,  if you can do 25, you're good to go.  And if you can't??  You'll still pass dude, just  (as I said), 

Do as you are told, and you will be fine ;)!

Now give me 25 push ups and go for a run!!!  (and enjoy it, you're at the beginning of a wonderful career!)

Cool to have the original poster come back after 4 years with advice. This is the first time I have really gotten a sense of how quickly things move AFTER BMQ. How long was your advanced training (SQ?) for SigOp?

Thanks for the advice. Not too worried about not passing. And 10km no sweat. Aside from the shin splints I have. And 25 push-ups really is not that bad at all. It was just I didn't want to be put on a list right away as the guy that takes the easy way out. But like you said I will get in trouble anyway, its all part of the system.

In order to be concise on what you are trying to communicate, endeavour to learn what the courses are called.  I know it can be confusing, and things do change, so how it was for me may change by the time you get there.

But as I understand your question,
I went to basic Oct 1st of 05,  I was finished in time for Christmas,  I started SQ in late January and finished in early March.  I started my MOC (Sig Op course) in May of 06 and finished in Sept 06.  Sept 07 I was assigned a tour position, adn Sept 08 I hit the ground in Afghanistan. 

Search for a thread I put on here during my basic "The Mega week 5",  lots of updates from my career there, might shed some light for you.

Awesome that is exactly what I was looking for, thanks so much! It is really cool to see the "log" that you have kept, I will be sure to do the same when I go, which is soon hopefully.

Thanks for the posts and welcome back home!
Travis

Many apologies if this is a question that has already been answered; I tried using the search function but found so many matches for "joining instructions" and "information form" that it was difficult to narrow anything down.

I noticed that at the back of the CFLRS joining instructions, there are several forms: a personal information form, a second language self-evaluation form, and a list of blue sector rules with a space at the bottom for signature and date.

My question is whether these need to be filled out before arrival, or whether they will be dealt with in due course. Obviously, not being on BMQ yet, I don't know what my platoon number is, nor am I sure what the blue sector is. This leads me to believe that I should probably wait, but I'd rather not end up the odd one out my first day at St. Jean.

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Well I was filling it out and came across some questions that I did not know the answer too. And I just left them blank, and the guy down at the recruiting office said it was alright.

As a mom of a son in BMQ now i have to say the stress of just him being there is a killer, he says he hates it can anyone tell me why????? and also what is a warrent inspection? Thanks

Who wouldn't hate getting up at oh-dark-hundred, doing PT, sitting in classes all day and learning stuff you're not sure you'll ever use, getting yelled at to "Hurry, hurry, hurry!", humping up and down a gazillion flights of stairs a dozen times a day, having to polish boots, irons clothes and keep you bed space neat, and having such a short time for meals you feel like you're not eating??

Come to think of it, that sounds like fun!!  ;)

Don't worry, amom, many others have done it before and survived.  He may be in his early weeks, it does get better.

A Warrant's Inspection is when the Warrant Officer comes to inspect.  A step up from the Corporal or Master Corporal.

amom said:
As a mom of a son in BMQ now i have to say the stress of just him being there is a killer, he says he hates it can anyone tell me why????? and also what is a warrent inspection? Thanks

The Warrant's Inspection is an inspection that is conducted by the platoon's Warrant Officer, who is either in charge of the platoon, or is the Second In Command, depending on if CFLRS still has the Officer-less platoons anymore. But I digress.

Anyways, an inspection by the big guy in charge is clearly more important than an inspection by one of his subordinates, and during said inspection, everything must be perfect. You know, more perfect than everything is already expected to be.

As for why he hates it, it is a very stressful time, where candidates are driven extremely hard, both physically and mentally. This is done primarily to see how someone would handle the rigors of warfare. Making someone work work work long hours is as close as we can come to emulating warfare, without actually shooting at them.

Rest assured that once he has graduated, the trials and tribulations he is undergoing will eventually be seen as a positive thing, as it will have been the first step towards turning your son into a soldier (or sailor, or airman). It can suck while he's going through it, but it does end fairly quickly.

This isn't to say that I'd want to go back and do basic for a 2nd time, but I'm sure as heck glad I did.

Very good thread! I am off to BMOQ in Esquimalt  for the summer 2010! Thanks a million to all who posted!!

Lol I just might! unless my RBC no fee junior account is up to the task, then I am all good!  ;)

Mojo Magnum is 100% correct. I was freaking out when my BMQ dates were handed down and collecting information wherever I could to try and help make it easier for me. Once I got on the ground for my course it all got thrown right out the window.

I've been a BMQ instructor for the past 3.5 months. When the new ones show up, they are all the same. You'll be clueless, scared, anxious, whatever. But keep in mind that everyone that came at the same time as you is feeling the exact same way. That being said, work together. Build teamwork and "help buddy out" whenever possible. Your staff will always have directions for you to follow, all you have to do is follow along. We won't give you anything impossible or super hard to do. We will challenge you, for sure, but all we want to see is you trying your best. If you just shrug and say "I don't care", or say "I don't wanna do this", rest assured your a$$ will be out in no time. On the other hand, if you can't do something, but if we see you trying you'll be just fine!

BMQ in St.Jean can and will be one of the most challenging events a person can go through. 

Many people will spend months upon months (even years for  some ) working up physically in order to do well for basic.
Indeed that is important.  A lot of focus on cardio will be needed.  Same thing for upper body strength.  But these are things you can work up to and prepare over time.

But there is another aspect of Basic that will ultimately test even the most physically fit of the fittest.. and that aspect has to do with your mind. 

When you arrive, you will get "jacked up" one way or the other and so will all your buddies.  It might not be the 1st or 2nd day but believe me, it will happen quicker than you realize.  You will learn about rank, respect and how to address people properly.

Running, marching, PT, drills are all physically demanding on their own but.. add in sleep deprivation.  You must wake up anywhere from 4:30am-5:20am, depending on the day's schedule and when the C-Senior wants the rest of you to wake..
And everyday mon-fri you must be in bed exactly at 2300.  Not earlier, not later. 

And finally add in ULTRA multitasking X 110.  Simple things like packing your gear properly for the next day + doing ALL homework assigned to you + doing assigned quarter chores + keeping EVERY space in your sleeping quarters neat & tidy by CF standards + marking ALL your kit + figuring out an effective way to share 2 laundry machines/dryers among 55 recruits+ another dozen or more things to keep up to date with. 
It all adds up and you will feel overwhelmed at times.

Oh yeah.. TIMING.  All of the above may seem simple enough to do at a normal human pace HOWEVER.  You are living, breathing, speaking, eating, sleeping, showering, shaving, and sweating to MILITARY TIME.
So you will be given "impossible" timings to accomplish certain task and than expected to move on to the next one immediately.  You will mess up and forget things naturally.. and you will be JACKED UP!!!

Don't sweat it.  Its all a part of BMQ and you are being tested.

Keep a positive attitude and do your best to not listen to any self doubt.

Another thing that I MUST advise to any potential recruit ready for BMQ:

**Learn NOT to over socialize or become the "life of the party".

Often when a group of people are under similar stressful conditions, they tend to bond a lot quicker.
People will horse around a lot as a way to occupy their minds away from the reality of their situation.
Very very bad.  If you have a bunch of task and assignments to do, do them!!  Be responsible and focus!!
Joke around LATER when you can afford to. 

The best Soldier is the one that is able to SHUT UP, and label ALL the kit/gear assigned to him in silence. 
The best Soldier is the one able and willing to re-do his homework a 3rd, 4th and 5th time when the Sgt's & MCpl's aren't satisfied with them.  The best Soldier is the one willing to go that extra mile and complete his task when everyone else is outside having fun.

Now I'm not telling you to be the "Wolverine" or "Logan" type.  You need to communicate with your fellow Recruits and of course get along with them.  After all you will be depending on each other for the next several months and vice versa to get through the course effectively as a team.. just keep it on a professional level though.  Keep yourself sociable but grounded enough to do your best to complete your tasks given to you.

Oh one quick and final thing!!  DO CALL your family and loved ones when you get the chance.  It will make a world of a difference.  It might be your only source of connection to the outside world for the next several weeks.  So in order to keep yourself in check, call them and smile :) 
Get a phone card though at Canex, long distance will cost a lot of coins lol.

Alright hope my post can someway help any future Recruits for BMQ and onwards in their CF career path.

Take care and stay safe.

Good day all,

Although I haven't completed BMQ, I thought I would offer some advice and tips from my experience of Basic Mil trg from the Brit perspective.
I first completed basic in 1990 as a Junior Leader Tpr in the Royal Armoured Corps, trg which lasted a year before going to the Armoured school for trade quals.
One thing you have to remember is your instructors contrary to belief are human! and they're neither stupid or wet behind the ears.
They have attended the same course you are attending.  You will hear how, 'when I went through trg it wasn't this easy etc'.
No matter what tricks, corners, short cuts you think you can cut, they have been cut already.  As the age old cliche goes, 'You are only cheating yourself', except in the realms of trg you are also cheating your platoon / section.
When an instructor checks your locker layout on your 2nd week and See's everything immaculate, its only going to prompt them to look harder for faults, that's their job.

Part of the reason is to install discipline in you, to ensure you're not the guy who is going to take the unnecessary risks and short cuts that will endanger yourself and your mates.

The tasks that are giving during basic are there for a reason, they test you under pressure.  The tasks are all accomplishable, but it will take not just effort but great effort as a team, because that is what they want a team not individuals who can work alone.

After 13 years in the Armoured Corps I re mustered to Royal Mil Police and had to attend the 6 month course which included basic.  I attended this course as a M/Cpl, was it difficult going through basic again, yes, did I always take my own advice NO

You will also find listening to your instructors will give you all the tools and advice you need to succeed.  Listen to what you're told then do it with 110 percent effort

Your instructors will expect mistakes from you, they did not recruit trained soldiers they recruited civilians that they believe have the POTENTIAL to be soldiers and that is what you must let them do, if you cheat at every turn, will you really have learnt anything from your time there, i would hasten not.

So to end, enjoy your time, you will look back in years to come and be proud that you got through the toughest trg  going and relish in the fact of  knowing that the trg now, isn't as difficult as the day YOU attended

CDN Aviator said:
Education and intelligence are 2 ******* different things. I have met university graduates who are the dumbest ****s in the world.

Agreed, many people who have a paper saying they are smart are not "smart" in a common sense way at all. I think we are getting common sense part of intelligence and the educational part of intelligence mixed up here. Many, many people I have met are smart in school, but when it comes to applying and doing the logical they simply can't. As for swearing, I don't think it should be a problem at all. It helps acquire the end product of making a soldier which the people joined to become. I think if they could they would shoot at us, but seems it is so dangerous they can't ;) so be happy with the swearing haha.

As for the tip part, I have not done any BMQ yet, going in a month roughly :). Going to be fun IMO! So be in shape and have a positive attitude and we are good to go!

(sorry for any bad English)

Back